U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,240,266 times

Advertisements

Until recently, Atlanta had pretty much "zero" public toilets downtown. Well, the numerous vagrants just used the sidewalks, so I guess SOMEONE could find a spot anywhere. But the average tourist who isn't yet used to whizzing on the sidewalk yet was sol.

Not long ago they opened five shiny new public automated music playing toilets around the City, though. Yippie. Music while you pee. At a cost of only $300,000 per toilet (after the City announced it can't account for around $70 million dollars in budget money that was "misplaced").

Musical toilets: Flush That! City Pays $1.5 Million For Five State Of The Art Toilets - News Story - WSB Atlanta

While they're tacky places overall, super touristy places like Gatlinburg, TN are usually the places where you find toilets more often. Smaller tourist town traps seem to think of the peeing tourist and resident much more than working cities do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 PM

281 posts, read 540,164 times
Boulder was cool. You can get drunk and then go out in the street and take a legal p*ss in a bathroom in the center of the mall. Lots better than relieving yourself in a bush hoping a cop or bear doesnt see you.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM

10,893 posts, read 9,888,290 times
Really any of the large truck stops like Petro, Pilot, Oasis, Travel Centers of America, etc....

Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,715,604 times
When I was living in Brazil I stopped at a service station close to Goiania, and there was an AMAZING restroom. It had waterfalls, flat screens, very clean, not something you see in the US. The restrooms were about 3/4 the size of the service station. Anyway, I find country clubs to use the restroom...lol...I will go through the auckwardness of going into one randomly to reap the benefits of them vs. anything else.......

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,283,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
For me it's the O'Hare Airport's restrooms. They were very clean, and they had toilet seat covers that automatically moved everytime it was flushed!
For the price of parking at O'Hare, it's nice to see they some of the money makes it way to someplace useful.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 PM

2,381 posts, read 7,767,037 times
Hey TX, I've been to Goiania (out in the wild west central part of Brazil) too! How bout those vast soybean fields. Brazil is full of surprises.
Here in the USA, the food at MacDonald's is something I don't recommend, but I never bash them because in almost any city or town they usually have decent restrooms. In fact, that's a requirement for McD's franchises. McD's is usually so full of customers that nobody cares if you buy anything or not.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:25 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,704,804 times
Public toilets are gross. Just pee and crap in your pants until you get home.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,246,890 times
I had to use the bathroom once when I had to regrettably walk in Times Square. There aren't many free bathrooms in that area, so I stopped at the Charmin bathroom that's free. I waited in line for 5 minutes and noticed it was just a tourist trap. There were games and contests going on for people in line. I was probably the only local in that line I bet you've never seen such an elaborate public restroom like this where you have to wait on line for an hour to use lol Only in NY

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/3033611565ebf3750d1cu3.jpg/1/w500.png (broken link)

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2119261315b737c83064bu9.jpg/1/w500.png (broken link)

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/21256190626c4ba77889wk7.jpg/1/w500.png (broken link)

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5026/72608130au7.jpg (broken link)
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/72608130au7.jpg/1/w594.png (broken link)

It just makes you want to go , right? lol

Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,373,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Really any of the large truck stops like Petro, Pilot, Oasis, Travel Centers of America, etc....
Not everyone lives on the interstate. Although, most convenience stores do have restroom facilities. However, in many small "tourist" type towns, they do not have convenience stores because it ruins the esthetics of the historical district or downtown ambience.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM

17,412 posts, read 21,254,176 times
Good for you for not buying your goods at that antique store without the restroom, their loss, someone else's gain. And the idea of tourist cities handing out bathroom maps is not only a great idea, it should be the law in any city!

I was recently in NYC in December and ran around almost deydrated for 5 days so I wouldn't have to go through the agony of finding a restroom. Yes, I know, when available, one can run to a crowded McDonald's, but I found fast food chains to be far inbetween in NYC, outside of Times Square.

I'm dreaming of the day when I read in a newspaper of a group of people in any particular city who stage a pee-in at their City Hall to demand easier access to public restrooms, OR, demand decriminalization of relieving yourself outdoors. When I traveled in Europe back in the 70's I'd see well-dressed middle-class people merely walk their children to the nearest street pole or grassy area, pull down their pants, for the whole world to see. There's plenty of parks in our cities where they could designate an area, surrounded by bushes, where you could pee out in the open, and save cities a lot of money in constructing public restrooms.

When in Central America, on a long bus ride, oftentimes, the bus will stop halfway between travel points, we all get out, and they line up along the hillside, and "fertilize" the countryside.

Back in the 80's, when in India, I look back now as the least stressful place to travel to, as walking around those big cities, I'd see people merely stop at the edge of a sidewalk, or a more hidden area, and go! Yes, the smell could be pretty bad at times, but again, I have to stay it was the least stressful trip I've ever taken. I might even say, the height of luxury!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.