U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM

23,643 posts, read 33,439,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
They JUST opened a brand new store some months ago in Brooklyn. What were they thinking? They had to know they were hanging on by a thread.
They opened up not too long ago in Hyattsville, MD not too long ago also. The timing was bad but the area in Hyattsville they opened it up in was even worse. They seemed to have their stores in high-crime areas in the DC metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:10 PM

138 posts, read 325,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Uh-oh.

with Circuit City gone, CompUSA greatly reduced and most smaller electronics stores going out of business....... Best Buy is going to have a virtual monopoly in some markets.

30,000 more jobs gone too...this is truly sad, but not unexpected.

When you base an economy around consumer spending, and the consumers stop spending..... this is what happens....
I am no fan of Circuit City (there prices were always too high), but now its down to Best Buy and Wal-Mart here in Little Rock.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:12 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,257,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That is the absolute truth. I believe it was only a year or so ago when Circuit City made the national news because they were firing long-term employees so they could be replaced with cheaper ones.

It is still sad to see what's happened to Circuit City. CC used to be the best place around to buy electronics. But they just couldn't compete with Best Buy. And as much as I hate to admit it, Wal-Mart usually has cheaper prices than Circuit City, too, particularly for those of us who are only casual electronics buyers.

I'm sure some of the CC locations, particularly their newer ones, will be snapped up by some other retailer so some of those 30,000 employees will be able to find work. But in the meantime, I'm still sorry to see Circuit City go the way of the dodo bird.
What comes around, goes around.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:21 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
As a fellow associate at a big-box retailer I stopped patronizing Circuit City when I learned of them laying off their experienced sales fleet to lower their payroll expenditures by replacing them with inexperienced entry-level associates. There's a BIG difference between retailers like Circuit City/Best Buy or Lowe's Home/Depot and places like Wal-Mart/Target. People who patronize electronics or home improvement retailers almost ALWAYS need special assistance whereas those sauntering into Wal-Mart get what they pay for in terms of quality of service and know this beforehand. You need to PAY to retain your experienced sales fleet, and, in turn, they'll drive MORE SALES by creating customer loyalty. I've been with Lowe's for four years. They can lay me off at any moment to replace me with a runny-nosed teenager, but the customer commendations and sales I've earned thus far will go by the wayside. Circuit City reaps what it sowed. Good riddance! I will continue to boycott Wal-Mart as well hoping that they collapse just as Circuit City did. I'll patronize employers who generally CARE about their employees---Target, Best Buy, Lowe's, Wegman's---and shun the undesirables---Circuit City, Wal-Mart, Home Depot.
Right on Scranton!

Most of my family - especially my sister are spreading the news about Walmart. The last time I went to Walmart was about 2 years ago at a town called Honesdale in Pennsylvania. We did not know any other stores in the area so we had no choice.

Although I still go to Home Depot - I also try to give some love to Lowes and Sears Hardware.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:24 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,213,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
That is the absolute truth. I believe it was only a year or so ago when Circuit City made the national news because they were firing long-term employees so they could be replaced with cheaper ones.
I think that happens in every retail environment, but of course, when it's a product line that requires a little bit more knowledge like electronics, that method doesn't work out really well now does it?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM

138 posts, read 325,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Right on Scranton!

Most of my family - especially my sister are spreading the news about Walmart. The last time I went to Walmart was about 2 years ago at a town called Honesdale in Pennsylvania. We did not know any other stores in the area so we had no choice.

Although I still go to Home Depot - I also try to give some love to Lowes and Sears Hardware.
Wal-Mart will never go under. They might not have total dominance up north but here in the south, there are many towns where there is virtually no other choice. Even in some of the bigger cities Wal-Mart has quite a stranglehold.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM

2,968 posts, read 2,632,219 times
Wow, I'm a little amazed @ some of the feedback coming in regarding the closure of CC. You guys do realize this adds 30,000 folks to the unemployment rolls -- not a good thing in any regard. This economy is in terrible shape and a lot is upside down right now....Those who are affected by this, I feel your pain & hope you land on your feet....Good luck.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Wal-Mart will never go under. They might not have total dominance up north but here in the south, there are many towns where there is virtually no other choice. Even in some of the bigger cities Wal-Mart has quite a stranglehold.
Agreed about the South. For now.

From what I understand Walmart has been putting its stores outside small towns for many years - undermining the small downtown areas and thus their competitors.

Did not the South lose a couple of supermarket chains to Walmart? I also read the 400 year old Hudson Bay Company in Canada is in trouble for much the same reason.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDubLR View Post
Very true. They have even joked in the past that there should be signs as you enter the Atlanta area that say, "Welcome to ATL-MART!", as there are so many here.

I live 22 miles West of the City. If you took a drawing compass and drew a perfect circle, with my house in the center, going 7 miles out in a circle in all directions - there would be SEVEN Super Wal-mart stores within that radius. Seven. And my area isn't unique - this is typical in many areas around metro Atlanta now. Most of the smaller outer-suburban towns now have dried up downtown areas due to the Wal-marts having come in, save for a stray florist or antique shop here and there. Sad.

Places like Circuit City or Best Buy threaten few mom and pop stores here, as few people really ever went into electronics sales as a small store. But when you get Wal-mart into it, they can drive down tons of smaller stores that sold a variety of things. For those who think Circuit City treated their employees bad (even toward the end), you need only talk to a Wal-mart employee to hear worse horror stories. One day we'll be a nation of people wearing blue vests with no benefits and $180 a week paychecks.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,944 times
I for one am not shedding any tears for Circuit City, or more accurately, the jerks that ran the chain into the ground.

I think Best Buy will just get worse. I haven't had a nice Best Buy experience in years - it's the Wal-Mart Lite that focuses on electronics.
I had to beg them in November to get a Samsung LCD from the stockroom.
The big positive of Best Buy is that they have the largest selection of CDs in many areas, for when I don't want to buy from Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or