Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 09:35 AM

2 posts, read 8,732 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are plenty of similar topics/questions, but I thought i'd get everyone's opinions. I am marrying my fiancee later this year and we plan on moving to the States sometime in 2010 or 2011. She is an American citizen (she wasn't born in the U.S. but received her citizenship by living in the States with her American mother through high school). We both currently reside in Canada and she hasn't lived in the U.S. for close to ten years. I've read on the American immigration site that next to be the daughter/son of an American citizen, the best (or easiest) way to receive your green card is to marry an American citizen. A lot of people i've talked to (including her mother) say I should be a shoe in as long as we have the appropriate documentation, but I just want to find if it really is that simple or if they only let in a certain percentage of people in my position, etc.
I'm unsure if it has any bearing, but I am a well educated individual with a degree in software engineering.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions,

- Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 04:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I have no clue about it personally, but I've known quite a few people in Chicago who married into citizenship.

I know of 2-3 gay people who are friends of friends or whatever who married straight women so they could become citizens and not have to figure out other more difficult or lenghy avenues. If it's someone you're actually in love with and marrying, then I would think this would be very easy for you.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
This was a long time ago, but I married a woman in Canada, and when I returned to the US, she was granted what seemed like an immediate and automatic green card, requiring only an application and an interview with an officer at the US consulate. However, there are some catches. There is what is called the April-November rule---if an American 72 years old marries a girl 19 in a foreign country, there is a waiting period, which is at least a year, before the marriage is formally recognized by US immigration for that purpose. The young bride won't even be given a fast-track tourist visa until the waiting period expires. There are no doubt other limiters, too, based on a wide variety of circumstances.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 8,732 times
Thank you for your replies. It sounds like very positive responses. We are definitely very much in love (8 year relationship) and this isn't any attempt at trying to get the around the system at all. We are the same age (i'm older by a month) so I don't think we fall into that one catch.

- Mike

Old 01-18-2009, 01:26 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
My sister knew a girl who married a man from Haiti. They really were in love. They had kids. He lost his job and got deported.

So, marrying an American may be the easiest way, but in some circumstances, you CAN get deported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.