U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,966,233 times

Advertisements

yeah but it was a joke map

edit: I guess I see what you are saying, I think, the map shows sort of an exaggerated version of how Germans see America I guess. It still isn't that bad, why would germans know about Idaho or Arkansas? That would be like Americans knowing about all the districts in Germany. You might know them if you traveled there a lot but otherwise there's no reason to know where they are. Honestly I think it's pretty good they know it that well at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 AM

15,534 posts, read 17,764,884 times
I have always been good at geography from a young age despite being an American. I attribute this to the fact that my family owned one of the only atlases in the entire country.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,990,736 times
I'm always surprised how obsessed Europeans are with Florida, and with Miami in particular.

Miami is not a huge "destination" city for American vacationers. It's sort of a forgotten city, really. People think of Miami as a big metro area, but not as a city worth visiting. (This is not a slam on Miami, just noting that it's not considered an "attraction" city to Americans themselves.)

New York, Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, Los Angeles, San Francisco and of course, Las Vegas, are the cities that Americans seem to want to visit.

The other thing that surprises me (but shouldn't by now) is how European visitors to New York City think they can quickly drive to Niagara Falls from there.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM

48,275 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I'm always surprised how obsessed Europeans are with Florida, and with Miami in particular.

Miami is not a huge "destination" city for American vacationers. It's sort of a forgotten city, really. People think of Miami as a big metro area, but not as a city worth visiting. (This is not a slam on Miami, just noting that it's not considered an "attraction" city to Americans themselves.)

New York, Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, Los Angeles, San Francisco and of course, Las Vegas, are the cities that Americans seem to want to visit.

The other thing that surprises me (but shouldn't by now) is how European visitors to New York City think they can quickly drive to Niagara Falls from there.
I don't know why people in the USA don't want to see Miami. I live in the Atlanta area and when I hear many Americans in Atlanta(particularly Southerners as oppose to transplants) talk about going to Florida, they speak of going to Panama City Beach, Ft. Walton Beach, or Destin. I'm not into the places that are along the Florida Panhandle. I would rather see Tampa or Miami. It is Las Vegas that I couldn't care less about.

Of the places mentioned, only Los Angeles has decent beaches.

I find this very interesting. Alot of people from all over the world go to Atlanta, many settle there nowadays. However, it is never a place anyone wants to spend their vacation. Apart from tourists, I don't see alot of people wanting to come, to see the city. Some foreign students have told me stuff like "Atlanta is boring". I'm not too thrilled about Atlanta either. However, I figured "it's a world class city, or it's suppose to be. there should be more tourism here".

Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM

195 posts, read 560,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't know why people in the USA don't want to see Miami. I live in the Atlanta area and when I hear many Americans in Atlanta(particularly Southerners as oppose to transplants) talk about going to Florida, they speak of going to Panama City Beach, Ft. Walton Beach, or Destin. I'm not into the places that are along the Florida Panhandle. I would rather see Tampa or Miami. It is Las Vegas that I couldn't care less about.

Of the places mentioned, only Los Angeles has decent beaches.

I find this very interesting. Alot of people from all over the world go to Atlanta, many settle there nowadays. However, it is never a place anyone wants to spend their vacation. Apart from tourists, I don't see alot of people wanting to come, to see the city. Some foreign students have told me stuff like "Atlanta is boring". I'm not too thrilled about Atlanta either. However, I figured "it's a world class city, or it's suppose to be. there should be more tourism here".
I don't think that Atlanta is REALLY a world class city.

I know it got the Olympics in '96, but In America, I think the consensus on the "world class" cities are Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles.

After that, you get like Philadelpha, Washington D.C., Boston, Miami, Las Vegas, Houston, etc. . . .

I'm guessing Atlanta would come after those? In terms of "world class" status.

Maybe I'm wrong.

What do other people think?

Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM

48,275 posts, read 45,547,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
I don't think that Atlanta is REALLY a world class city.

I know it got the Olympics in '96, but In America, I think the consensus on the "world class" cities are Chicago, New York, and Los Angeles.

After that, you get like Philadelpha, Washington D.C., Boston, Miami, Las Vegas, Houston, etc. . . .

I'm guessing Atlanta would come after those? In terms of "world class" status.

Maybe I'm wrong.

What do other people think?
It has the world's busiest airport on most days. Coca-Cola is headquartered in Atlanta. CNN is from Atlanta. It's a major transportation hub.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,194,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post

It's spring break, starting this weekend.

I can't tell ya how many people have made plans to be on South Beach.

You sir, are wrong....

Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 PM

55,679 posts, read 74,671,253 times
disneyland is the capital of CA.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:30 PM

195 posts, read 560,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It has the world's busiest airport on most days. Coca-Cola is headquartered in Atlanta. CNN is from Atlanta. It's a major transportation hub.
I agree it has stuff, but that doesn't make it New York City, Paris, and London. Those are world class cities.

If you have one of those maps where you can only put say 5 or so cities from each country on the map, for America, I'm guessing you'd see NY, LA, Chicago, Washington D.C., and like Philadelphia.

I just don't think most people think of Atlanta as being in the same class as New York and Los Angeles.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 PM

403 posts, read 521,932 times
Being french i'd say that atlanta and philadelphia are known in europe but basically people just know the name of those cities and some know vagualy where there are but nothing more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or