U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,431,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Most Europeans have probably never heard of the Boreal Forest of Northern Wisconsin. I've never even heard of it. Same goes for North Dakota. There is a lot that I don't know about Europe. If I had to draw a map of Europe I would probably leave off 1/4 of the countries and place the ones that I do know in wrong locations.

What I mean is the transition to Boreal Forest in Northern WI. Chicago doesn't have boreal forest, does it? I love Chi-town, I just don't like the charactarization that the whole midwest is Chicagoland.

Any ways....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:42 PM

6,867 posts, read 12,838,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
What I mean is the transition to Boreal Forest in Northern WI. Chicago doesn't have boreal forest, does it? I love Chi-town, I just don't like the charactarization that the whole midwest is Chicagoland.

Any ways....
That's something you just have to accept. I've accepted that they probably characterize all of Texas as just being Dallas.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:24 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,251,692 times
Europeans tend to know more of the "progressive" coasts than anything in the middle.

Although geography education in Europe is superior to K-12 in USA; I seriously doubt most have heard of Mississippi. Elvis fans may have heard of the state. California (especially L.A and San Francisco), Texas (Dallas more than Houston, probably because of the TV show), and NYC, are places most people know about. Chicago (it seems like people on C-D think that city is known like Moscow or something) not really except maybe a few Michael Jordan fans, but that was in the past. People have heard of Florida. I would say people used to know of Detroit because of the car industry. Alaska and Hawaii are definitely well known.

It depends who you ask. The odd few who listen to country music may have heard of Nashville. Seattle is known from the movie "Sleepless in Seattle". Portland is not well known, as is not Austin, Minneapolis (Minnesota might be among Norwegians and Swedes who have studied the emigration to the state in school), and Boston, although those who are well read do know of the Boston Tea Party.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:04 AM

11,194 posts, read 22,429,656 times
Sadly, I think most run of the mill Americans would picture this map of the USA before people in Europe would draw it....

Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 AM

84 posts, read 360,174 times
One thing most Europeans don't understand about the United States is its physical geography. It is hard for them to picture the distances between New York and LA. When you consider most of the western European cities are within a day's train trip or car ride apart, they don't really understand the large expanses of the United States.

You could compare the map above to the perceived map Americans have of a place like Australia. I'm sure many Americans think Austrailia is Sidney and the Outback and nothing else.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:00 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,829,387 times
That's funny, and it makes an excellent point. Europeans are just as provincial and ignorant about other countries, including the US, as we are.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,718,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That's something you just have to accept. I've accepted that they probably characterize all of Texas as just being Dallas.
Funny you say that, when I was in South America most people knew of Texas, and the first thing they thought of was the Cowboys, and Dallas. Also everyone knew of Houston, but thought it was a NE city with NASA and all, and I ask about San Antonio and all they knew was the Spurs......not everyone, but many.

On the other hand I realized traveling that most of the people from other Nations has a much wider grasp of the World than we do domesticly.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:31 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,301,601 times
Ah, how very stereotypical but it made me laugh.

A "European" thats been all over the East coast and "south"

Shock horror! Someone that knows about US geography and culture

Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM

2,857 posts, read 5,998,636 times
The map is probably better than many Americans could come up with.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:35 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,301,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
The map is probably better than many Americans could come up with.
I know some didn't even know MS was an actual state.

MS is beautiful, not as hilly as AL though that wouldn't be hills to us .

GA was alot more humid though SC was my favourite because of Myrtle Beach. Charlotte, NC was an awesome city with alot of character, good food too.

And NYC and upstate NY a well, just magical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or