U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 PM

711 posts, read 1,268,367 times
haha, i love this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:25 AM

2,602 posts, read 2,939,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I don't think I could name all of the European countries, but I could name a lot of them. I am going to college next year as a Geography major.
You're in high school?
That explains a lot!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 AM

1,148 posts, read 4,046,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Actually, America is not a continent, Europe is.........
I know that USA is not a continent, but part of North America. I was being lazy. I meant it's like a continent of its own. It could explain why a lot of Americans don't feel the need of getting their passports. There's enough to see and do.

USA and Europe aren't comparable terms. USA is a country. Europe is not one massive country. Europe is made up of many nation-states.

Anyway, the average American got extremely poor geography skills, and I don't mean just those on Jay Leno. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence. People just don't learn certain things.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 AM

6,046 posts, read 6,063,806 times
Speaking of poor geography skills, I was wearing a shirt for New Mexico State University and some people thought New Mexico was part of Mexico. Someone asked if there are any white people in New Mexico.

America and Europe are similar in size. We might not have our own countries, but we have states. Different states have different feels and have cultures of their own. Massachusetts is nothing like Arizona. In fact, two countries in Europe might be more similar to each other than two states in America.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:18 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,351,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Why the Patriots of all teams?
The real Pats killed his folk but I guess New England made him a fan (of course I could be very wrong).

Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 PM

479 posts, read 1,207,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Honestly, I think could name all of the European countries and place them on a map as well, Geography is one of my strongest subjects, and I think I'm one of the youngest members here.
OK, with full humor and no nasty intentions here ...

Liechentenstein
Andora
Monoco
Malta
Cyprus
Lithuania

Place them on a map.

For the Europeans, place...
Minnesota
Wyoming
Arkansas
Pennsylvania
Indiana
Idaho

Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM

3,306 posts, read 6,134,542 times
Liechtenstein is between Switzerland an Austria, I don't know if is has a northern border with Germany or not though
Andorra is between France and Spain in the Pyrenees mountains
Monaco is surrounded by France an is on the South Eastern side
Malta is in the Mediterranean south of Sicily
Cyprus is off Turkeys Eastern southern coast
Lithuania is on the Baltic sea south of Latvia and North of Poland and has Riga (A Russian owned Baltic port city) right to its south and west

Last edited by Raphael07; 01-27-2009 at 10:02 PM.. Reason: add Andorra

Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM

380 posts, read 684,902 times
Hmmm, the Europeans are supposed to be smarter than this.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,394,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Liechtenstein is between Switzerland an Austria, I don't know if is has a northern border with Germany or not though
Andorra is between France and Spain in the Pyrenees mountains
Monaco is surrounded by France an is on the South Eastern side
Malta is in the Mediterranean south of Sicily
Cyprus is off Turkeys Eastern southern coast
Lithuania is on the Baltic sea south of Latvia and North of Poland and has Riga (A Russian owned Baltic port city) right to its south and west
well done, but I think it is safe to say that us geniuses here on C-D are more aware of geography than most.

buuuuut I think Riga is solidly Latvian and Kalingrad is the Russian area. I could easily be wrong though.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 PM

479 posts, read 1,207,438 times
Wow ... a lot better than I would have placed them, even though I'd set those out for you.

For the record, just from memory I had misplaced Liechtenstein (I thought it was the Swiss NW border) and I had placed Malta further east then it actually is. I'm pretty sure TheWereRabbit is right about Riga and Kalingrad (Kalinigrad?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.