U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 02:35 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,706,257 times

Advertisements

Crap, ah well, no ones perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 AM

48,141 posts, read 45,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Most Europeans have probably never heard of the Boreal Forest of Northern Wisconsin. I've never even heard of it. Same goes for North Dakota. There is a lot that I don't know about Europe. If I had to draw a map of Europe I would probably leave off 1/4 of the countries and place the ones that I do know in wrong locations.
The boreal forests of Wisconsin and Minnesota look very similar to Finland.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 AM

466 posts, read 910,604 times
Smile American in Europe

I live most of my life in Cologne, Germany and how many American know where that is?
When I lived there and I was on the Dom Square you see people from all over the world. Every so often I meet some Americans, touring Europe in 14 days and quite a few times I was asked where they where. My answer: Cologne, in Germany at the Rhine. LOL
When I came to America in 2005 I was amazed about the distance one has to travel to go from one place to an other. It is mind boggling for most Europeans. When I explain that I moved say 1000 miles I tell them that would be like moving to Madrid, Spain or Naples, Italy. Or we moved from the northern Oregon coast to St. Louis, that is from Cologne, Germany to Thessalonika, Greece.
I was never very much interested in Geography - but before I came to the US I am pretty sure, I knew more about American Geography than the average American. One of the reason is we learn more about international news in Germany, The Netherlands or Great Britain (I live in all countries) than you hear here on the news.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
My friend from Norway says...
In America it is quite noticeable that people want everything big! the bigger the better. Back in Norway we don't care about the size of the house as long as we have room to eat, sleep and play. Every one drives small gas efficient vehicles. All of a sudden you get to America and your on the road for the first time, Huge cars are all around, the Roads are very wide, The houses are huge, Even when you go get a drink at a McDonalds or Subway the cups are HUGE.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:04 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,988,179 times
I have no problem naming European countries on a map, but the internal locations of things within each country are mostly a mystery.

I could tell you where Bavaria is (in general) but not the Black Forest.

I'm pretty good with the regions of France (the Riviera, Provence, Brittany and Normandy etc) but the inside of Britain is largely a mystery to me. I know where the Lake District is and the big moors, and Cornwall, but have no idea what the extent of the "Midlands" might be.

Needless to say, the exact location and name of British counties and French departments are utterly a mystery.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I have no problem naming European countries on a map, but the internal locations of things within each country are mostly a mystery.

I could tell you where Bavaria is (in general) but not the Black Forest.

I'm pretty good with the regions of France (the Riviera, Provence, Brittany and Normandy etc) but the inside of Britain is largely a mystery to me. I know where the Lake District is and the big moors, and Cornwall, but have no idea what the extent of the "Midlands" might be.

Needless to say, the exact location and name of British counties and French departments are utterly a mystery.
Bavaria is a state (Bundesland) in the south, the Black Forest is a forest in state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, also in the south, west of Bavaria.

And for the counties in a country, man I don't even know the counties in Missouri, where I live at the moment LOL

Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
.... sorry, but I honestly can't understand how you can't at least point out HALF the states in this country... AS AN AMERICAN.

There are classes that don't teach as much as they should, but that's no excuse for not going out on your own and learning for yourself.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
It is my experience that people are knowledgeable about the things that interest them.
If geography does not interest them then that's their business.
Let's try not to put our values on other people.
I'm fairly certain that there are fields of knowledge that they posess that we do not.
Hear, hear..... well spoken!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Speaking of poor geography skills, I was wearing a shirt for New Mexico State University and some people thought New Mexico was part of Mexico. Someone asked if there are any white people in New Mexico.

America and Europe are similar in size. We might not have our own countries, but we have states. Different states have different feels and have cultures of their own. Massachusetts is nothing like Arizona. In fact, two countries in Europe might be more similar to each other than two states in America.
America is far more uniform than Europe. You might have similarities in the Scandinavian countries - Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland or the southern countries, like France, Spain, Italy and Portugal, but there is still plenty differences, far more than the differences between Massachusetts and Arizona.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM

403 posts, read 521,400 times
I am French, so I can tell you what most people in Europe (France more precisely) know about US geography.
Most (All ?) people know that NYC in on the East Coast and somewhere north close to the Atlantic Ocean. But I think that 95% of them couldn't show precisely on a map where it is. They know the names of Philadelphia, Boston, sometimes new jersey, but again wouldn't know exactly where it is on the east coast.
They don't know the names of the states except California, Florida, New York State, Alaska and Texas, maybe they could name 4/5 other states but that's it. Of course this depends a lot if they ever went to the USA or not.
I think a lot of people think that Chicago is on the East Coast. Very few people know the name "midwest".
Most people know that Miami is in Florida, close to the ocean.
Of course people know where California is, and that it is where the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego are. Most people know that San Diego is very close to the Mexican border, and that L.A is north of San Diego, and SF north of L.A. I think 95% of french people couldn't say exactly where they are, with the exception of San Diego thanks to the border.
Most people know Seattle and that it is close to Canada and Vancouver, but most are maybe not aware that it is in the Washington State (and some would think that DC is in Washington).
French people don't know much about the rest of the country except maybe that Dallas and Houston are in Texas.
Also I realized that most people in France have a very good opinion of Miami, and a very low opinion of Los Angeles. But they dream about California. Couldn't explain why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or