U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Out of the Big 3 Metro's which one would you Live if cost of Living isn't a Issue?
New York(Greater New York) 74 45.12%
Los Angeles (Greater LA) 47 28.66%
Chicago (ChicagoLand) 62 37.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:42 AM

784 posts, read 2,056,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Out of the big 3 Metro's in America which one would you want to live And if cost of living isn't a Issue.You are allowed to vote for all three if you can't Decide.

1.NYC - Total 18,815,988 (2007 est.) - Density 2,790/sq. mi.
1,077/km˛- Area 6,720 sq. mi.- By far the most Populous Metro in America with very good Public Trans.(Good Pizza but it's not better than Chicago to me.)Fair air Quality.Most peole live in Apartments,Condos or Have a House,4 Seasons.Lots of Diversity probably the most Diverse.

2.Los Angeles - Total 17,775,984- Density 2,665/sq. mi.-Area 4,850 sq. mi.-By far the most Dense Metro in the U.S. with the smallest Metro Area out of the Big 3.If your a Car/Highway person La is for you unless you hate Traffic.La metro Continues to Grow especially The Inland Empire.Bad Air Quality.Most people live in the Suburbs and own a House.Has year round good Weather.Lots of Diversity(Believe me its not all Hispanic.)

3.Chicago- Total 9,785,747- Density 1,318/sq mi- Area 8,489 sq mi-Chicago to is great city has a big city feel, very good and extensive Public Trans,Very nice Pizza( It comes with a Attitude.)Chicago is almost there soon they will join Ny and LA in the Mega City Category.Fair air Quality.Most people live in the Suburbs and own a House,4 Seasons.Very Diverse well Deserved.
Actually I will nitpick. NY overall metro is more like 22 million. Good try wiping out almost four million. NY is about four and a half more than LA still. Just pointing that out. I see your from CA, so I am not surprised you'd take that number for NY to make LA look bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:43 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,321,960 times
I picked Los Angeles/ So Cal (although I do live here so I have my bias).

There aren't many place that have the types of things So Cal has.
Example:

Wake up and go surfing from 8-10AM.

Hop in the car and drive up to the mountains (drive time 1 hour 20 minutes) for some snowboarding or skiing. Grab some In-n-Out in the Inland Empire for lunch and by noon you are at the ski resort.

Around 4-5PM head back down the mountain. Eat at 7PM and enjoy some nightlife by 9PM.

There aren't many places where you can enjoy the ocean, snow, and the benefits of an urban area all so close together.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:35 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,244,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Not to nitpick, but for LA, your population, area, and density numbers don't make sense. You're using the population totals for the 5 county CSA, using the area for the MSA, the two core counties (LA and Orange.) The 5 county land area is 33,000 square miles. The MSA population is 12 million. The density number 2650 is correct for the MSA. I think your using MSA stats for NY and Chicago.

I also want to point out that one reason the population density in the Chicago MSA are so low is because many (most?) of the counties included in the MSA still have large amounts of rural farmland, which while technically part of the MSA, aren't really urban or even suburban in a meaningful way.
I'm so Sorry Sir.I Know what you mean.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Actually I will nitpick. NY overall metro is more like 22 million. Good try wiping out almost four million. NY is about four and a half more than LA still. Just pointing that out. I see your from CA, so I am not surprised you'd take that number for NY to make LA look bigger.
I will Nitpick NY, 1st of all Ny Metro passes the state Line so this means NY Depends on other states to make their Metro Population Remain as the Most Populous Metro in America so Nice try LA Doesn't Depend on other states for our Metro Growth. Not at all i know NY has 22 Million i just pasted the wrong Stuff.How Childish that would be to make LA look bigger than NY(Wait it's b/c I'm From CA It really changes Everything Right).Looks like someone thinks to Big.(Slick)You Know I'm from CA how Surprised I Am.

Last edited by californialove24; 01-18-2009 at 01:09 PM..

Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
1st of all Ny Metro passes the state Line so this means NY Depends on other states to make their Metro Population Remain as the Most Populous Metro in America so Nice try LA Doesn't Depend on other states for our Metro Gowth in this case Ny does Look Bigger .Not at all i know NY has 22 Million i just pasted the wrong Stuff.How Childish that would be to make LA look bigger than NY(Wait it's b/c I'm From CA It really changes Everything Right).Looks like someone thinks to Big.(Slick)You Know I'm from CA how Surprised I Am.

Metro is metro. It doesn't matter if it crosses state lines. You can shout from Jersey and be heard from someone in NYC. It definately is part of the metro. Sorry but this is metro stats. I didn't make them up, either should you. By the way, LA takes from cities over an hour away. I dont think what they give the LA metro is appropriate. They count way to much and from places they shouldn't. We can both make arguments but we arent the ones who decide what counts and what doesn't. Really this metro thing has gotten out of line. LA alone is less than four million, yet they count 13 and a half million more from outside areas. A little whacked if you ask me.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Metro is metro. It doesn't matter if it crosses state lines. You can shout from Jersey and be heard from someone in NYC. It definately is part of the metro. Sorry but this is metro stats. I didn't make them up, either should you. By the way, LA takes from cities over an hour away. I dont think what they give the LA metro is appropriate. They count way to much and from places they shouldn't. We can both make arguments but we arent the ones who decide what counts and what doesn't. Really this metro thing has gotten out of line. LA alone is less than four million, yet they count 13 and a half million more from outside areas. A little whacked if you ask me.
Name one It could be a Suburb,You know LA is all about the Burbs.as for RV and SB Counties are there own Independent Metro, but In the CSA They counted those counties with LA but RV and SB Are Actually there own Metro Inland Empire.The Map show the only Area of Population that counts toward LA CSA Population b/c nobody really live in Eastern SB and RV Counties its all Desert.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 PM

7,191 posts, read 9,991,719 times
Quote:
I will Nitpick NY, 1st of all Ny Metro passes the state Line so this means NY Depends on other states to make their Metro Population Remain as the Most Populous Metro in America so Nice try LA Doesn't Depend on other states for our Metro Growth. Not at all i know NY has 22 Million i just pasted the wrong Stuff.How Childish that would be to make LA look bigger than NY(Wait it's b/c I'm From CA It really changes Everything Right).Looks like someone thinks to Big.(Slick)You Know I'm from CA how Surprised I Am.
Not to nitpick you California BUT I seen this argument before about it being "unfair that NY is in more than one state". Here are 3 counter arguments:
1. HISTORY - NY, NJ and Conn are all former British colonies which deliberately kept its colonies small - the divide and conquer type strategy. New Jersey was orginially part of NY but it was given away to friends of King James (Duke of York). Look at a map of Africa to see more modern examples of the divide and conquer strategy.
2. RATIONAL BORDERS - The founding states decided they were going to a better job with the boundaries of the western territories. This is why for example Indiana and Illinois received enough land for a port on the Great Lakes, and Mississippi and Alabama received some Florida land to have ports on the Gulf of Mexico. If California was an older eastern state on the Atlantic she might very well be divided into 3 or more states - and the LA metro area might be in more than one.
3. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT - The Feds officially recognize the NY metro area as being in parts of all 3 states (and a small part of Pennsylvania).

Old 01-18-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not to nitpick you California BUT I seen this argument before about it being "unfair that NY is in more than one state". Here are 3 counter arguments:
1. HISTORY - NY, NJ and Conn are all former British colonies which deliberately kept its colonies small - the divide and conquer type strategy. New Jersey was orginially part of NY but it was given away to friends of King James (Duke of York). Look at a map of Africa to see more modern examples of the divide and conquer strategy.
2. RATIONAL BORDERS - The founding states decided they were going to a better job with the boundaries of the western territories. This is why for example Indiana and Illinois received enough land for a port on the Great Lakes, and Mississippi and Alabama received some Florida land to have ports on the Gulf of Mexico. If California was an older eastern state on the Atlantic she might very well be divided into 3 or more states - and the LA metro area might be in more than one.
3. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT - The Feds officially recognize the NY metro area as being in parts of all 3 states (and a small part of Pennsylvania).
I Understand but it's true NY depends on other states for their Metro population why cant their metro just stay in NY like NY-Rochester or something?People say its b/c NY Wants to stay the most Populous Metro.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,426,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
No.
It does have Millenium Park but it is not nearly as cool as Central Park is.

I would choose NYC with Chicago second and LA if only for the weather.
Millenium Park might be known, but Grant Park is much bigger and right on the water. There is also Lincoln Park which is bigger.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I Understand but it's true NY depends on other states for their Metro population why cant their metro just stay in NY like NY-Rochester or something?People say its b/c NY Wants to stay the most Populous Metro.

Well gee, not all states can take up half a coast. Is it fair or isn't it. Bottom line, they made California to big. They should have broken it up into other states. Just like so many Californians like to boast about their population. Well if you started with NY and added all the states populations on the eastern seaboard all the way to Virginia. Which would equal its length, the population count would not even be close.

But as far as what you asked me. What's next is LA metro going to swallow up Sandiego as well. As for naming one, you already named a few for me, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or