U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Out of the Big 3 Metro's which one would you Live if cost of Living isn't a Issue?
New York(Greater New York) 74 45.12%
Los Angeles (Greater LA) 47 28.66%
Chicago (ChicagoLand) 62 37.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,436 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a broad question. I can think of places in each metro that would be great to live in. West side Manhattan aroung the 60's through 90's, some Northern Jersey suburbs and some of the Westchester towns for NYC, Santa Monica, South Orange county and Venice in LA metro and the loop area, Evanston and other Northside neighborhoods in Chicago. I can also think of alot of places in each metro I wouldn't live in if you gave me a free place.

It comes down to which place has the fewest negative areas and for me it would be NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 12:02 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,719,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Actually I will nitpick. NY overall metro is more like 22 million. Good try wiping out almost four million. NY is about four and a half more than LA still. Just pointing that out. I see your from CA, so I am not surprised you'd take that number for NY to make LA look bigger.
Now that more and more people commute from Philly to NYC due to cost of living and suburban expansion, our metro is just pulling away from everybody. Including Philly we're about 28 million. The commuter rails and buses are also a reason to this.

When he said 17 million for LA, that's including the Riverside area.... Which is over an hour with no traffic and with traffic it can take over 3 hours to get to DTLA. I highly doubt there's any train that gets those people to downtown LA... If there is, I highly doubt it's reliable and I highly doubt anybody actually uses it. The real number for LA is about 14 million.

The real number for NYC is about 22 million.

Including riverside, LA is about 17-18 million. But if they can include that, then we can include Philly... So we get 28 million.

Let em feel powerful...

Last edited by Futcha; 01-19-2009 at 12:18 AM..

Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,187,158 times
Los Angeles.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:24 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,229,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Now that more and more people commute from Philly to NYC due to cost of living and suburban expansion, our metro is just pulling away from everybody. Including Philly we're about 27 million. The commuter rails and buses are also a reason to this.

When he said 17 million for LA, that's including the Riverside area.... Which is over an hour with no traffic and with traffic it can take over 3 hours to get to DTLA. I highly doubt there's any train that gets those people to downtown LA... If there is, I highly doubt it's reliable and I highly doubt anybody actually uses it. The real number for LA is about 14 million.

The real number for NYC is about 22 million.

Including riverside, LA is about 17 million. But if they can include that, then we can include Philly... So we get 27 million.

Let em feel powerful...
Your confused, Ny MSA is 18 million were did you get 22 million thats the CSA.What the hell is this 27 million crap.If you included Philly then Ny Metro is out of Controll with passing the state Line.

Bear your teeth LA Metro might Pass NY Metro Who Knows.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 AM

463 posts, read 1,367,359 times
I'd love to live in New York City, expecially Manhattan!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 AM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Rate up Chicago for being fair and informative toward another city.

To add to what you said about the necklace and the boulevards there is a large amount of Forest/Prairie Preserves not too far outside the city. In some places they are close enough almost to be considered a greenbelt. I actually remember reading about them years ago (possibly National Geographic?).

Right, there are well over 100 square miles of forest preserves set up in another "neclace" around the older urban area of Chicago. The belt was set up in the 1910's to preserve open and forested areas from being completely mowed over by the rapidly growing city of Chicago and suburbs.

The cities boulevard system and large parks are much closer in to downtown though, and right in the heart of the actual city.

I believe the Forest Preserves were a wonderful idea. It's hard for us to imagine now that in the 1830's the place that is now Chicago was just a swampy area with a few indian villages. In less than 100 years that swamp was turned into the 5th largest city on earth with well over 3 million people. It was the fastest growing city in human history, and there was a lot of fear about when the city would finally slow down its growth and start to catch up with protecting open areas and inveting in infrastructure.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:27 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,230,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
This is kind of a broad question. I can think of places in each metro that would be great to live in. West side Manhattan aroung the 60's through 90's, some Northern Jersey suburbs and some of the Westchester towns for NYC, Santa Monica, South Orange county and Venice in LA metro and the loop area, Evanston and other Northside neighborhoods in Chicago. I can also think of alot of places in each metro I wouldn't live in if you gave me a free place.

It comes down to which place has the fewest negative areas and for me it would be NY

Not Long Island?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 AM

604 posts, read 1,665,888 times
NYC
i love chicago but i think a good part of its appeal is its affordability. But then i also love the suburbs of chicago but too late already voted

Old 01-21-2009, 05:50 AM

604 posts, read 1,665,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Not Long Island?
and malibu or south bay in la?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM

187 posts, read 477,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Millenium Park is quite small, and really nothing like Central Park. Neither is Grant Park, which together with Millenium Park are set up more as clean cut urban parks.

There's nothing in Chicago truly like Central Park, which I absolutely love, but there are some other more natural parks in Chicago that could be used in comparisons.

There are 9 large parks in a "necklace" that go from the southeast side, up to the middle-west side, and over to the northern/east side of the city. Connecting them all are a huge network of block-wide strips of boulevards with trees, grass and open spaces and small frontage roads. Many of the boulevards have gone downhill during the past 100 years, but all of the parks and many sections of boulevards are still kept in extremely good and clean condition.
I don't know if you've have ever been to Central Park. But, Chicago's Lincoln Park is the 2nd most visited city park in the country behind Central Park. According to the Trust For Public Land(tpl.org), Central Park avg. around 25mil visitors a year and Lincoln Park 20mil a year.

Actually Lincoln Park and Central Park are similar in some ways. Lincoln Park is vast, but not as vast as Central Park because after all , our entire lakefront is parkland. Lincoln Park contains the Lincoln Park Zoo(1868, still free), Nobeart Nature Museum, Chicago History Museum, ponds(with paddle boating), lagoons(for row teams to practice), harbors(with yacht clubs), beaches(including a dog beach, and an outdoor Crunch Gym), a tennis center, golf course, driving range, miniature golf, soccer field, basketball courts, sledding hill, dog parks, world famous bike/blading/running/walking lakefront path, with outdoor chess center, tons of vendors, restaurants, showers, sailboat/canoes/waverunner/bike/ rentals, just to name a few.

Are you sure you've even been to Lincoln Park?; let alone Central Park. You do know that Lincoln Park(the park not the neighborhood) extends past Montrose Harbor/beach, don't you? I don't know about you but I'll take Lincoln Park over Central Park any day of the week, especially in the Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or