Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,334,399 times

Advertisements

First off I want to say I havent been to any of these areas. Im tired of people designating for others areas as retirement areas or off limits to anyone but vacationers. My frustration is deep. Im not going to give up until the place I want to be before I buy a home. Im not going to limit myself by being selective about jobs. I'll take whatevers available to make a living at. Ive always wondered why there arent really some progressive city building going on. It seems like that has either become impractical or the American spirit has waivered. Make no mistake im not talking about rich glorious places here. Im talking about normal cities built for average families. Not just more resorts for the wealthly.

What about Wyoming? I was looking at Cheyenne. It looks like its cold because of the elevation but it has an abundance of sunshine like the rest of the area in general. From the pictures I see it doesnt look like my type of place. But going by the amount of sunshine it recieves are there any prettier areas of Wyoming where people could build a thriving mid-sized city someday? Im thinking unique pine and oak type structures. The state is huge and only has 500k people.

What about NorCal? I always wanted to see the Redwood trees and Giant Sequioa. The land looks like something you cant find anywhere else. NorCal imparticular still seems like its cooler looking than just about half of the other states in the country. Now I dont mean the extreme coast because that area stays way to cloudy and cool. A big worry of mine is not knowing anyone there and being surrounded by really liberal(weirdo) occult people. From what I have seen its really expensive but unpopulated in many areas. NorCal is huge in itself. There are many other features besides Redwoods. Its climate is still better than many states. Im thinking wood shingled roof type cootage houses.

What about NorGa? Ive always loved Georgia's red clay dirt.(BTW can someone tell me which area of Georgia has the brightest red clay? I love it!) I dont know if the dirt near the Smokies is red like the other Georgia dirt but NorGa is really pretty. I know they're trying to make it a resort destination or retirement area but so what. People want nice places to live. If you grewup in decayed urban areas you would to. especially when you see how pretty some places are where people would feel so much better about life if their surroundings were better. NorGa seems to be sprouting a few little cities. I really enjoyed the last night drive through the Georgia mountains. Im thinking something really specifi to Georgia for housing, something new and fresh made by Georgians. Since we know the southerns have a lot of heart for their states.

What about Central/North Idaho? Boise seems to be the perfect sized city for me anywhere from 500k-1mill. The pictures I see show the climate type im used to with four seasons. Plus the added bonus of mountains and lots of wilderness. It doesnt get any colder than im used to. The area could offer snowy winters and sledding, skiing exct. A real throwback to the America that people were inspired by. To the south of Boise looks like plain desert to me, so the idea place to be would be north of Boise from what im looking at.

What about Southern Oregon? It already seems like Oregon is getting extremely expensive. Yet coastal and southern Oregon have very few people. There are sand dunes, mountains, the ocean nearby, and even Redwoods in the extreme southern tip of Oregon. NorCal and Southern Oregon fascinate me. But prices have kept me from actually considering them. But I feel like im just giving in if I dont stick with my dreams to be someplace where I want to own a home. It stays a bit cool for me(I like to swim if possible during the summer). But just inland the summer temps are much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 06:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,047,487 times
Let me help.

Wyoming? Ive been there twice for summer vacation. Seems like a tourist state, only 500,000 people live there. Most of WY is rural land and beautiful mountains. Some rich people own summer gateways there. WY is one of the best states to be in the summer, but I wouldnt want to be there at any other time, too cold. Its cold 8 months of the year due to elevation and latitude. It can snow even in the summer, I saw a dusting of snow falling one morning while on the tour bus! The locals told me theres a dusting time to time in the summer. If you can tolerate -20 temperatures with -50 windchills in the winter, Wyoming is for you. Nice houses cost around $200k so its supprisingly expensive.

NorCal? Has the best weather in America. Been to SF before and I loved the cool pacific breeze! The bay area is way too expensive but ive seen some half reasonably priced houses in far north CA at between $150k to $250k. You could get vacent land really cheap, seen acreage lots going for $15k, just build your own house or slap a mobile home on it. I would love to live in north CA and I probably will when/if I become rich.

NorGa? Nice location, but stay away from Atlanta, its crime ridden. North Georgia is just far enough north to have any discernable seasons. The climate is between subtropical and temperate dedicious. You will enjoy a taste of snow and temperatures between 25 and 40 for a winter low with highs a pleasent 50 to 70. Nice houses can be had for $100k to $250 depending how big you want them. Yes they have basements

Central/North Idaho? Been there once in the summer. Its not as cold as Wyoming. Similar screenery to Wyoming, I guess. Houses about as expensive as WY too.

Southern Oregon? Probably similar to northern CA. I know Oregon is definately cheaper than south CA but some parts of Oregon can be expensive. Other parts you can have a decent house for $200k

Hope this helps, sir

Old 03-25-2007, 08:06 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,034,175 times
I'm having difficulty understanding what exactly you're seeking. It sounds like you're looking for small or medium-sized growing cities What do you mean by "progressive city-building" and are you sure that it isn't already occurring? I suspect that such cities, small-to-medium-sized cities, could be growing under the radar and without much national attention; smaller cities don't have a high national profile.

If you aren't constrained too much by economic or career issues you'll have many choices and you'll be able to choose a region you want to live in. If you're open to considering Boise, which might very well be a good choice, would you consider a smaller city in Oregon or Montana? If you can deal with the Wyoming weather, Wyoming might be a great choice since it seems as though many blue collar jobs are available, though Wyoming has a housing shortage since people are immigrating into the state for those jobs.

Perhaps the best way to go about finding smaller, affordable, growing cities would be to identify states that have good economies with desirable climates and to then start investigating target cities that are in your size range. Also, all sorts of population data must be available, perhaps at this site and on the web, and of course, you can always post in the state-specific discussion forums and ask about certain cities.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,034,175 times
I'm having difficulty understanding what exactly you're seeking. It sounds like you're looking for small or medium-sized growing cities What do you mean by "progressive city-building" and are you sure that it isn't already occurring? I suspect that such cities, small-to-medium-sized cities, could be growing under the radar and without much national attention; smaller cities don't have a high national profile.

If you aren't constrained too much by economic or career issues you'll have many choices and you'll be able to choose a region you want to live in. If you're open to considering Boise, which might very well be a good choice, would you consider a smaller city in Oregon or Montana? If you can deal with the Wyoming weather, Wyoming might be a great choice since it seems as though many blue collar jobs are available, though Wyoming has a housing shortage since people are immigrating into the state for those jobs.

Perhaps the best way to go about finding smaller, affordable, growing cities would be to identify states that have good economies with desirable climates and to then start investigating target cities that are in your size range. Also, all sorts of population data must be available, perhaps at this site and on the web, and of course, you can always post in the state-specific discussion forums and ask about certain cities. In other words, perhaps you could rephrase your question to make it state-specific and to then go about your search that way, desirable state by desirable state.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:33 PM

35 posts, read 61,987 times
I THINK INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BUILD NEWER AREAS THAT WE SHOULD CONSETRATE ON SMALLER CITIES THATS LOST POPULATION DUE TO ITS ECONOMY, LIKE HUNTINGTON WVA,AKRON OH,AND SO ON SO FORTH.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,788,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
What about NorCal? I always wanted to see the Redwood trees and Giant Sequioa. The land looks like something you cant find anywhere else. NorCal imparticular still seems like its cooler looking than just about half of the other states in the country. Now I dont mean the extreme coast because that area stays way to cloudy and cool. A big worry of mine is not knowing anyone there and being surrounded by really liberal(weirdo) occult people. From what I have seen its really expensive but unpopulated in many areas. NorCal is huge in itself. There are many other features besides Redwoods. Its climate is still better than many states. Im thinking wood shingled roof type cootage houses.

What about Southern Oregon? It already seems like Oregon is getting extremely expensive. Yet coastal and southern Oregon have very few people. There are sand dunes, mountains, the ocean nearby, and even Redwoods in the extreme southern tip of Oregon. NorCal and Southern Oregon fascinate me. But prices have kept me from actually considering them. But I feel like im just giving in if I dont stick with my dreams to be someplace where I want to own a home. It stays a bit cool for me(I like to swim if possible during the summer). But just inland the summer temps are much higher.
If you have that kind of attitude then don't bother coming out to Northern California/Southern Oregon--we don't want you. Besides, we don't want any more development. There is already WAYYYYY too much out here. And most of the land that isn't developed already is protected land--it can't be developed and hopefully never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
What about Central/North Idaho? Boise seems to be the perfect sized city for me anywhere from 500k-1mill. The pictures I see show the climate type im used to with four seasons. Plus the added bonus of mountains and lots of wilderness. It doesnt get any colder than im used to. The area could offer snowy winters and sledding, skiing exct. A real throwback to the America that people were inspired by. To the south of Boise looks like plain desert to me, so the idea place to be would be north of Boise from what im looking at.
Spokane, Washington? But then you might be surrounded by too many weirdo liberal occult people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.