Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 06:00 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Maybe Pittsburgh. The poor air quality and pollution problems are major reasons why I don't recommend the region in general. It just isn't a very healthy place to live.
Don't forget it can be murder for those with allergy or other respiratory issues. My mom suffers from sinus troubles from her days in the Air Force and she moved to Ft. Knox, KY area last year and frequently gets sick more than when she was in Virginia. She had a doctor tell her straight she needs to get out of here as soon as she can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Maybe Pittsburgh. The poor air quality and pollution problems are major reasons why I don't recommend the region in general. It just isn't a very healthy place to live.
Cincinnati, despite the air pollution, can cater to a lively, healthy lifestyle. Allergies are bad and only get worse on the southern side of the river though.

Pittsburgh has poor air quality but seems to be shaping up in being "green" in other ways.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:36 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Cincinnati, despite the air pollution, can cater to a lively, healthy lifestyle. Allergies are bad and only get worse on the southern side of the river though.

Pittsburgh has poor air quality but seems to be shaping up in being "green" in other ways.
The problem is the air quality won't likely improve anytime soon due to all the old coal plants and industry grandfathered in. You can thank Duke and AEP for that. The bad air quality makes other allergy and sinus issues worse for a good percentage of the population.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:36 AM

440 posts, read 1,691,518 times
The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is horrible!!There are hardly any lakes except for private ones or ones you need a boat to fish from..I am no where near Lake Superior..The hospitals are horrible..Everything in the town I am in closes at 2:00 p.m..I hate killing animals for fun..which people up here think is wonderful..As soon as it is possible I am out of here..Heading back to Maine for the good life..wonderful scenery, great food..the ocean at my finger tips and fantastic people!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 PM

52 posts, read 91,169 times
Been living in Milwaukee since 2004 (moved here from Indiana), but dislike living here. Don't like:

- The provincialness of here by too many locals (who act as if even going to Chicago is some sort of "no man's land"), including hard to make friends (even by my hard-time-making-friends standards) since I didn't grow up here...

- The segregation problems of here.

- Low-ish education levels (despite two universities here).

- The Tea Party-led hijinks in the state govt. (now adversely affecting my job).

- Not much of a local economic base or vision for improving things (it's not exactly Detroit-level bad, but...).

- Miscellaneous aspects (such as the embarrassing State Fair incident recently)...

I'm looking to move to someplace more cosmopolitan, a non-Rust Belt economic base (I'd like to do work involving my nonfiction writing and/or clerical skills), a diverse population, somewhere gay-friendly, and less conservative. Currently considering Seattle or Boston (planning to visit Boston in a little over a week from now)...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:47 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Agreed.. My parents moved from Charlotte to Rock Hill 2 years ago and thet cant stand it. They are looking to move back to University City or Lake Norman. Whenever we visit them uts like we never left Greensboro...
Why did they move to RH? Cheap taxes?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 PM

291 posts, read 688,925 times
Yes, Seattle. It's fall and winter here year round. We get no summer here. I went to a wedding in Arizona back in May and I enjoyed the 92 degrees and sunshine. It's too cold here in Seattle. I'm still wearing some of my clothes from winter. I may as well be living in Alaska.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 AM

76 posts, read 222,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Currently, I'm living in Middle Tennessee, commuting from Murfreesboro to Columbia. While I came here as a young child (4 years old), I don't consider myself a native Tennessean or Southerner in any sense. My parents want to relocate to Florida once my mother is retired in 4 years. My sister may or not stay once she is done with college, but as soon as I get my degree this December, I'm going to start looking for two jobs I can work for about 6 months next year so I can be living in New Jersey by summer.

I have lots of extended family there who have told me I can stay with them until I can support myself (as well as a few cousins in my age range who say that would love to room with me so they can be moved out the house).

While I would not say that I hate Tennessee, I do think that I really do not fit here. I'm not religious whatsoever, very small amount of exposure to outside cultures, ABHOR country music, am a hardcore liberal (though if people were more fiscally conservative than socially backwards, this would be less of an issue), and am not to fond of Southern accents in general. Granted, my best friend who lives in Nashville says that my upbringing in a small town probably had something to do with my disliking of Tennessee in general.

I know high taxes, aggressive drivers, cold winters, blunt personalities and guidos are all my way... and I can't wait!
I can relate with what your friend said....I am orig from Nashville and spent my teenage years in a small town in Southern Illinois....YIKES

I have a whole new respect for Nashville, and any other larger city with civilization for that matter....lol after that experience

Old 09-07-2011, 01:00 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times
I live just outside of Los Angeles and there was a period of time where I hated it. Even now, I kind of have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes I don't mind being here and then there are other times where I wonder what I am even doing here. I'm still here because I'm retraining for a new career and I don't have the finances to pack up and move to another city. LA is not that good of a place to live if you don't make a huge amount of cash. I would say you'd have to make a minimum of $60,000 a year just to be comfortable and you can't even buy a house here wit that salary because people have moved here and driven the house prices way up.

LA was great in the late 1980s until about I would say 1995 or so. It is really expensive and too spread out so a car is necessary. I would say that I have mixed feelings about the city I live in. Is anybody else feeling this way about their current city?

Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Stuck somewhere I'm not crazy about?

Yes, Planet Earth! My bags are packed, I'm ready to move on!

Where can I catch a plane for Mars!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.