Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 AM

57 posts, read 120,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Worse: Canton. LOL
haha. Oh well its still a part of the great white flight of Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, are you all saying you did lousy research/didn't sufficiently check out the place before you moved to where you live now?
I was born there.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Life is too short not to love where you live.

Now if you're living somewhere just to get something done as a stepping stone, that's great. But you should love where you live.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Life is too short not to love where you live.

Now if you're living somewhere just to get something done as a stepping stone, that's great. But you should love where you live.
What if you were forced to be where you are by circumstance and want to go home despite the bad financial aspects of such a thing?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I posted the above last month.

Good news is that I'm about to leave for Cal-uh-forn-ee. Or, as Rush Limbaugh would say, "for those of you in Rio Linda, that's California."

Seriously, I can't wait.

Some posters on this forum say Ohio is the greatest place in the world. Can't imagine why you would want to leave.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
What if you were forced to be where you are by circumstance and want to go home despite the bad financial aspects of such a thing?

You'll have to be more detailed.

But lemme tell you...the amount of people I meet in Hawaii every time I go who just picked up and moved their whole lives over there 'just because' is staggering. And they don't seem to regret it...the average turn-around time for a mainlander moving to Hawaii is about 2 years, but the ones who stay often go there without a plan or a job...just a mission to live in paradise.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM

46 posts, read 118,260 times
Lived in the middle of South Carolina for over 12 yrs. Finally mustered the $ and courage to move to Colorado 3 months ago. Couldn't be happier! No humidity, enjoying the summer the way I'm supposed to-outside!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Some posters on this forum say Ohio is the greatest place in the world. Can't imagine why you would want to leave.
But I can imagine why I would want to leave. Well, okay, not imagine, but know. Cincinnati, for all its positive attributes, is a combination of Applachian white trash, Midwestern reserve, northern brusqueness, and Kentucky hillbilly culture. While we're at it, let's throw in some racial tension (although this is endemic to many American cities). And it doesn't mesh well. That's also why I disliked Louisville so much, although I actually like Cincy (relatively) more than Louisville. Don't get me wrong, I've met some nice people here, but friendly people overall, as well as having a forward-thinking community, aren't Cincy's strong points.

I'm not a huge fan of Dayton and Columbus, either. I've never been to the other major Ohio cities, so I can't comment on them. However, I will say that rural Ohio generally has some pretty nice people that, in my experience, may even rival or exceed the rural South. Very unassuming, salt of the earth people. But I have little use for the Ohio cities I've experienced. I can also say the same about Kentucky, rural versus urban, respectively.

I'm actually in Northern KY but can in downtown Cincy in five minutes. It's not like I'm in, say, Florence or Independence, so often times I just tell people I live in Cincinnati.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
I am NOMAD, I tire of everyplace after about 3-5 years and move on. I'd like to be living in California but it is more expensive than Arizona and I need to be near a Military Basee and a VA Hospital.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I am NOMAD, I tire of everyplace after about 3-5 years and move on. I'd like to be living in California but it is more expensive than Arizona and I need to be near a Military Basee and a VA Hospital.
Did that for a long time. Then settled in california. Moved out to the midwest for two years, hated it so much, then moved back to CA. been here for 20+ years.

It really isn't that heard to make a move. You just have to do it. No one should be stuck anywhere they don't wan to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.