Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times

Advertisements

South carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,263,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloping Isotopes View Post
i am not so thrilled with San Diego, but over the past couple of years i have grown rather found of it.
I'll trade you!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
South carolina
I've heard that the Greenville region is nice though.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:56 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
SF Bay Area - if you aren't making good money it's harder to enjoy this area and take full advantage of what it has to offer. Don't get me wrong I like it and all, it's where I'm from and I know lots of people here but as a place I'm just not crazy about it. I don't hate it or even dislike or anything but it is home.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Man, this is a fascinating read- I'd like to think that I could be pretty happy in a lot of cities (not much of a country boy although I've spent plenty of time there- and I'd feel I was just dying in the suburbs) but I see shows or read articles about places and think- "that's cool, I think I could live there" or I'm visiting them in a particularly nice time of year and just about fall in love and then get the scoop about the other nine months of the year, and the crime, and the lack of culture, and the rude, insular and backwards people and then think- well, maybe not so much.

It took me many years to finally feel a real affinity here and frankly there is 80% of this greater area that i wouldn't be near as happy as I am in this little corner. But I think the most important qualities of any place is a feeling of belonging and connection with the greater community around you, if you don't feel that it's gonna be real hard to ever feel happy there. I say sometimes a particular neighborhood can make all the difference, find that one that fits you best, make some great friends and live a good life even as you plan to make your next move! - said the guy from the beautiful, safe (yeah, not terribly exciting) city by the sea.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,868,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
South carolina
Rock Hill itself isn't the most exciting place, but it's within the largest and most dynamic metro area in the Carolinas. That has to count for something. Imagine if you didn't have that proximity to Charlotte.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:56 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
My mother lives near Rock Hill. She and my stepfather live in a home he built over 20 years ago, before the "proximity" to Charlotte brought all the over-development out that way. I'd imagine they would rather live somewhere away from all that sprawl, strip malls, and traffic congestion they complain about all the time. Congestion and having every chain restaurant and big box store imaginable does not necessarily equal "dynamic". I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Congestion and having every chain restaurant and big box store imaginable does not necessarily equal "dynamic".
No, but having an expanding rail-based mass transit system, major league sports, new cultural facilities, new parks, a large corporate base, several Fortune 500 headquarters, one of the nation's busiest airports, large-scale events (including the DNC), significant urban redevelopment, an expanding nightlife scene, significant population growth, etc. do equal "dynamic." Apparently none of that really means much to you as it appears that you and your parents prefer less urban locations, but like you said, it's all a matter of perspective-or more accurately, personal preference. You may not like Charlotte, but it's pretty disingenuous to simply boil it down to the elements that you don't like as if that's all there is to it.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 07-08-2011 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
No, but having an expanding rail-based mass transit system, major league sports, new cultural facilities, new parks, a large corporate base, several Fortune 500 headquarters, one of the nation's busiest airports, large-scale events (including the DNC), significant urban redevelopment, an expanding nightlife scene, significant population growth, etc. do equal "dynamic." Apparently none of that really means much to you as it appears that you and your parents prefer less urban locations, but like you said, it's all a matter of perspective-or more accurately, personal preference. You may not like Charlotte, but it's pretty disingenuous to simply boil it down to the elements that you don't like as if that's all there is to it.
Sounds like he hit a sore spot here!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Sounds like he hit a sore spot here!
Not a sore spot. I just hate it when people are disingenuous without taking the whole picture into account. Based on what she said, there are no dynamic metros anywhere in the country because they all have traffic congestion, chain restaurants, and big box stores. That's just silly and anyone, regardless of where they live, should be able to recognize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.