U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 11:35 AM

1,732 posts, read 1,870,215 times

Advertisements

"How do Southern People View Californians"

Usually from the ground, looking up at them in airplanes 30-35,000 feet in the air. They leave lovely contrails.

Wait, that's how we midwesterners view Californians.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,592,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Well...

Anywhere in the good ol' US of A will be able to provide examples of abject poverty coupled with a simple-minded mentality once you get away from the cities. And, I assume that's what you must mean by "literally on the same level as many 2nd world nations." This description of the South can actually just be rebranded as rural and be leant some legitimacy. The thing is, most people have a difficult time reconciling the actual South with the South of myths, Hollywood tales and old blues songs. For most of Southern history, it was largely rural, but that South doesn't really exist anymore.
That isn't true though, small towns in the north and west are not simple minded to the extent ones in the south are... I think you are just assuming that from a handful of examples... There are plenty of small lively cities in the north and west but not so much in the south east. Where you have a handful of bigger lively city where all the well off people have congregated to. In the North it is more spread out and you will find them everywhere.
This is a major difference I have experienced. Rural doesn't correlate with uneducated as much as it does in the south.
Anyway this is getting off topic and I already stated earlier about the perceptions.
I am not trying to hate on the south, I am from the south myself and have seen the best and worst of it... but there ARE stark contrasts between the north/west/south.

I think it is harder to assimilate into the overall culture for people going north to south, or south to north ... but pretty easy from north to west...
Note this is outside the big cities which are more cosmopolitan and less regional in nature.

example, Boston to Atlanta is a much easier move than Worcester, MA to Macon, GA. Even more so from say, Boston to Macon... or in vice versa, Macon to Boston. The majority of the populous from those cities are going to have trouble adapting.

My gf is currently still experiencing the culture shock, or more of lack of culture shock as she hasn't been here before, and this isn't even as bad as it gets... Moving from San Fran to small town south...the lifestyle and cultural norms are very contrasted. She was in Paris for a year before that... I'm sure many can imagine...

Needless to say, we will be leaving soon as there just aren't many like minded people here. Sure, cost of living is lower, but we fill like we have our lives on pause and bored out of our minds.

Last edited by grapico; 04-15-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,096,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That isn't true though, small towns in the north and west are not simple minded to the extent ones in the south are... I think you are just assuming that from a handful of examples... There are plenty of small lively cities in the north and west but not so much in the south east. Where you have a handful of bigger lively city where all the well off people have congregated to. In the North it is more spread out and you will find them everywhere.
This is a major difference I have experienced. Rural doesn't correlate with uneducated as much as it does in the south.
Anyway this is getting off topic and I already stated earlier about the perceptions.
I am not trying to hate on the south, I am from the south myself and have seen the best and worst of it... but there ARE stark contrasts between the north/west/south.

I think it is harder to assimilate into the overall culture for people going north to south, or south to north ... but pretty easy from north to west...
Note this is outside the big cities which are more cosmopolitan and less regional in nature.

example, Boston to Atlanta is a much easier move than Worcester, MA to Macon, GA. Even more so from say, Boston to Macon... or in vice versa, Macon to Boston. The majority of the populous from those cities are going to have trouble adapting.

My gf is currently still experiencing the culture shock, or more of lack of culture shock as she hasn't been here before, and this isn't even as bad as it gets... Moving from San Fran to small town south...the lifestyle and cultural norms are very contrasted. She was in Paris for a year before that... I'm sure many can imagine...

Needless to say, we will be leaving soon as there just aren't many like minded people here. Sure, cost of living is lower, but we fill like we have our lives on pause and bored out of our minds.
I'll grant small town New England (except most of Maine) and parts of the tri-state area will be more progressive than the rural South. But, I guarantee you can pick up any tiny city in the Pacific Northwest, California, the Rockies, the plains and the Midwest, and drop it in the rural South, and the only differences will be the accents of the people.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:03 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,219,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesHotGirl View Post
who cares how they view us?? Seriously no one in California thinks about other places in the U.S really we have it all here..no one ever sits there and says "i wonder whats going on in NY" or "wonder what the weathers like in ATL" ...it just DOESNT happen...we live in a bubble of 36 million in the most powerful state in the nation...deal with it
You must be pretty flexible to burry your head that far in...

Get over yourself, there is an entire globe that could give a californian **** less if you are thinking about them.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:42 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,140,868 times
I tolerate them much better than I do northerners.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 PM

4,186 posts, read 10,309,244 times
Quote:
who cares how they view us?? Seriously no one in California thinks about other places in the U.S really we have it all here..no one ever sits there and says "i wonder whats going on in NY" or "wonder what the weathers like in ATL" ...it just DOESNT happen...we live in a bubble of 36 million in the most powerful state in the nation...deal with it
Your a snob. Get out of that state of mind cuz it wont get you anywhere. You don't speak for everyone in the state, so stop before you embarrass your self even more, California isn't any better than any other state, there all unique in different ways, sorry. ;D

Old 04-15-2009, 11:03 PM

8 posts, read 20,161 times
I'm from a very conservative area of central Texas and went to san diego twice last year and los angeles once..Before that i had never been to CA and imagined it to be all glamorous as seen on tv..San Diego lived up to the hype and i think its very nice and the people there are very helpful and friendly, i knew what to expect in orange county..just going into starbucks and seeing what types of people walk through the door in is fun , los angeles was disgusting in general..and hollywood was dissapointing, but still fun..i think people in los angeles are their own breed, and if they are happy then good for them!

in general..i think the people seem laid back, easy to get along with, materialistic (but these days who isnt?), non religous or agnostic, cool, and they will date the strangest types of people who, in Texas, may seem unexistent..For example: Lindsay lohans gf samantha ronson or justin bobby from the hills

Old 04-16-2009, 12:38 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,874,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesRules View Post
People from northern new jersey are even easier to mess with. At work i get alot of calls from jersey purchasers looking to buy electronic components to re-sell.

I usually play the whole laid-back role up and say things like "uhhhmmm...yea?" when they are trying to "show me up" by talking all big and bad i just act normal and say "relax man'/...lol

usually when they call its like 8 in the morning here so no engineers are in to answer their technical questions . They get really irritated and i just tell them to call back .

its fun messin with their minds
it is people like you that play jokes over the phone......

i guarantee you would not say it to his face

that is the cali fakeness coming through.

FAKE FAKE FAKE!!!

Old 04-16-2009, 12:43 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,874,869 times
Quote:
the whole state of cali only has 36 million people? LOL

the nyc metro has 21,961,994
the philly metro has 6,385,461
total is 28,347,455

philly and nyc are only a one hour and fifteen minute drive away from each other

how long would it take you to get from one end of cali to the other? Atleast a whole day

Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,907,788 times
Not all people in the South think alike. I have heard some really interesting statements made about California, but rude or friendly were not mentioned. I have heard strange, crazy, different, fast, etc.

You have some really strange laws out there, if what I heard on the news is correct. Are you really not allowed to kill a rat. So a woman who doesn't want her baby can abort it, but it is against the law to knock a rat silly. Tell me that is not true. Please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or