U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:37 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,075,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Pretentious, up tight, a-holes who think too much of themselves.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:43 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,137,063 times
every time i got to vegas or a place like key west, it's easy to spot the socal types. they have their nose to the sky and are dripped in designer clothing from head to toe thinking that that is what really matters in life. Really, they are the perfect consumer. Their egos are out of this world and they truly believe that material items are what makes a person.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:48 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,950,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
every time i got to vegas or a place like key west, it's easy to spot the socal types. they have their nose to the sky and are dripped in designer clothing from head to toe thinking that that is what really matters in life. Really, they are the perfect consumer. Their egos are out of this world and they truly believe that material items are what makes a person.
I do know the ones you are talking about in fact, know many of them myself,lol...but not me, I break the mold lol maybe that's why I'm so happy to be FAR away from it all!

Old 04-17-2009, 04:48 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,884,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
"How do Southern People View Californians"

Usually from the ground, looking up at them in airplanes 30-35,000 feet in the air. They leave lovely contrails.

Wait, that's how we midwesterners view Californians.
Haha! I can't believe I didn't see this before. That's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
the whole state of cali only has 36 million people? LOL

the nyc metro has 21,961,994
the philly metro has 6,385,461
total is 28,347,455

philly and nyc are only a one hour and fifteen minute drive away from each other

how long would it take you to get from one end of cali to the other? Atleast a whole day
Actually your statistics are off. They're a little high for metro NYC and metro Philadelphia. I don't see why this is entirely relevant except that California is a BIG place with lots of different cities and towns with lots of diverse and different people living in all those places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Given all the intravenous drug users in that dump also known as Vancouver, I doubt you should be calling anywhere else 2nd world
Vancouver is such a dump which is why it's the most livable city in the world with the one of the highest HDI rankings... in the world... I think XXclimberX can call other places 2nd world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That has to be the dumbest thing, without question, I have ever read in my life. Based on what? Your watching of the television news? A drive through the South on the interstate?

Look, I'm not a Southerner by birth. I've lived all over the place. And I've seen places in California, Washington, Oregon, Ohio, Illinois, Maine, and Maryland that would look like a great place to film Deliverance 2.

Quit indulging in lazy stereotypes based on the way it was 30-40 years ago.
I can't speak for the poster of that comment, but I can say it wouldn't be "lazy stereotypes." It's hard facts such as poverty levels, HDI indexes, obesity levels, pollution, etc. Sure it's probably better in some places in the South than others, but as individual states and a region... It's not pretty.

Anybody who stereotypes all Californians is just as shallow and stupid as the tiny minority of Californians who say say things like "California is the best place and everywhere else is a filthy hole in the ground. No one even cares about your dumb [insert region or state here] town."

Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 AM

2,057 posts, read 4,869,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Haha! I can't believe I didn't see this before. That's awesome.

Actually your statistics are off. They're a little high for metro NYC and metro Philadelphia. I don't see why this is entirely relevant except that California is a BIG place with lots of different cities and towns with lots of diverse and different people living in all those places...

Vancouver is such a dump which is why it's the most livable city in the world with the one of the highest HDI rankings... in the world... I think XXclimberX can call other places 2nd world.

I can't speak for the poster of that comment, but I can say it wouldn't be "lazy stereotypes." It's hard facts such as poverty levels, HDI indexes, obesity levels, pollution, etc. Sure it's probably better in some places in the South than others, but as individual states and a region... It's not pretty.

Anybody who stereotypes all Californians is just as shallow and stupid as the tiny minority of Californians who say say things like "California is the best place and everywhere else is a filthy hole in the ground. No one even cares about your dumb [insert region or state here] town."
Actually, my statistics are not off. They're right where they are suppose to be for the NYC and Philly metro

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Those numbers are accurate as of Jan 2007. So I am sure they are even higher now

Old 04-19-2009, 03:19 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,683,825 times
I actually love California and wouldn't mind living there. But I couldn't afford it. The weather is generally super and there is lots to do. I have some relatives there. I could get into that scene.

I live in Lousiiana and although it doesn't compare in many ways, the cost of living is low and where we live the schools are good and the city has most ammenities. We make more than the average Louisianan and own a nice home 2000 sq ft (big enough for us) we paid 213K for in 2004. That is hard to beat. On the down side La is humid in the summer and our electric bill gets high from running the ac. Outside of those things, it is ok. I'm not one who must have this this and that; however I know many people must. It's all where you were brought up at and the expectations and standards you may have for yourself.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,596,891 times
Quote:
the whole state of cali only has 36 million people? LOL

the nyc metro has 21,961,994
the philly metro has 6,385,461
total is 28,347,455

philly and nyc are only a one hour and fifteen minute drive away from each other

how long would it take you to get from one end of cali to the other? Atleast a whole day
What is so LOL? Take LA and SD metro and it is probably just a little short of NYC + Philly. And don't forget that LA metro is more dense than NYC metro. Sooo, LOL to you.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
What is so LOL? Take LA and SD metro and it is probably just a little short of NYC + Philly. And don't forget that LA metro is more dense than NYC metro. Sooo, LOL to you.
It is funny to me how people on this site make assumptions and dont post facts. I WILL PROVE YOU WRONG!!!

LA METRO POP = 17,755,322
SD METRO POP = 2,974,859
TOTAL LA & SD = 20,730,181

NYC METRO POP = 21,961,994
PHILLY METRO POP = 6,385,461
TOTAL NYC & PHILLY METRO POP = 28,347,455

Sorry but the NYC metro is bigger than the LA and SD metro combined

Here are the facts

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC metro density = 2,792/sq. mi
LA metro density = 2,665/sq. mi.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater Los Angeles Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC POP = 8,274,527
LA POP = 3,849,378

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the city of NYC has double the population of the city of LA. That is a nice sprawl that you have going on.

I just called you out on two things and proved they were false. I just thought that I would through number three in for an extra rub in your face.

LA will always be the red headed step child when compared to NYC. Get use to settling for second place

Old 04-19-2009, 06:21 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,596,891 times
Quote:
It is funny to me how people on this site make assumptions and dont post facts. I WILL PROVE YOU WRONG!!!

LA METRO POP = 17,755,322
SD METRO POP = 2,974,859
TOTAL LA & SD = 20,730,181

NYC METRO POP = 21,961,994
PHILLY METRO POP = 6,385,461
TOTAL NYC & PHILLY METRO POP = 28,347,455

Sorry but the NYC metro is bigger than the LA and SD metro combined

Here are the facts

NYC metro density = 2,792/sq. mi
LA metro density = 2,665/sq. mi.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater Los Angeles Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC POP = 8,274,527
LA POP = 3,849,378

New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the city of NYC has double the population of the city of LA. That is a nice sprawl that you have going on.

I just called you out on two things and proved they were false. I just thought that I would through number three in for an extra rub in your face.

LA will always be the red headed step child when compared to NYC. Get use to settling for second place
Okay Mr. Wikipedia. Don't get it twisted, yeah the 2000 census (primary literature) put NYC metro with the highest density, LA metro had a real low density because they count the whole county (which has a crap town of mountainous terrain that can't be built up). But if you look at the urbanized region that is unobstructed, LA is more dense. Here is a link to PRIMARY literature.

http://lewis.sppsr.ucla.edu/GISconte...ity_report.pdf

Yes NYC proper is MUCH more dense than LA proper, but the metro NYC drops off in density much quicker, while LA metro keeps a pretty uniform density.

Also SD metro isn't including Tijuana, which it should since it is an international metro... that would bump the number up a few million. Still short of NYC + Philly, but definitely not LOL!

Last edited by vdy1985; 04-19-2009 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: link didn't wor

Old 04-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Okay Mr. Wikipedia. Don't get it twisted, yeah the 2000 census put NYC metro with the highest density, LA metro had a real low density because they count the whole county (which has a crap town of mountainous terrain that can't be built up). But if you look at the urbanized region that is unobstructed, LA is more dense. Here is a link to PRIMARY literature.

LA metro more dense than NYC metro

Also SD metro isn't including Tijuana, which it should since it is an international metro... that would bump the number up a few million. Still short of NYC + Philly, but definitely not LOL!
1. ALL of those numbers were from Jan of 2007, not 2000.

2. I just proved you wrong with that statement in #2. The population of NYC is MORE than double LA's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or