U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:29 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,349 times

Advertisements

I am a westerner who lived in the South that currently lives in California. I have neighbors in San Diego from North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia and Texas. All of them love San Diego and profess that they will never return to where they come from. The attitude of people who left the midwest, south, rust belt, etc. to move to places like California or NYC probably irks their relatives and/or former workers/classmates, etc. when they return for holidays and constantly tell them how much they like California better. By contrast, when we lived in the South we always tried to be positive about the South with locals, but more often than not they would tell us how they wished they could move to California and could not understand why we moved to the South (darn jobs). Outside of West LA, San Francisco proper, and a couple of tourist towns like Carmel, Californians are just paying bills and raising kids, albeit in an (arguably) more scenic area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 06:00 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I am a westerner who lived in the South that currently lives in California. I have neighbors in San Diego from North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia and Texas. All of them love San Diego and profess that they will never return to where they come from. The attitude of people who left the midwest, south, rust belt, etc. to move to places like California or NYC probably irks their relatives and/or former workers/classmates, etc. when they return for holidays and constantly tell them how much they like California better. By contrast, when we lived in the South we always tried to be positive about the South with locals, but more often than not they would tell us how they wished they could move to California and could not understand why we moved to the South (darn jobs). Outside of West LA, San Francisco proper, and a couple of tourist towns like Carmel, Californians are just paying bills and raising kids, albeit in an (arguably) more scenic area.
We don't mind Californians here in the South as long as they are not closeminded

Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,543,731 times
I want to be nice in my reply but I'm afraid the people I have met from California haven't really presented your state in a good lot.
Guy #1 was a pompous caboose....we later found out most of what he said was a lie....man was he irritating.
#2 was his mother....really explained ALOT
#3 was this guy who when finding out we wanted to retire to Alabama, went on and on about the clan, racism, rednecks blah blah blah...talk about believing false stereotypes.....he didn't care for being called a judgemental jerk..guess he was too "enlightened"
There are plenty more like the above but I'll leave it at this....my opinion of people from Cali is just different.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:32 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,335,155 times
I had some nieghbors when I lived in the Atlanta area who were from California. Wonderful people! Then my brother married into a California family. Not so wonderful. Kind of whiny and materialistic. Just goes to show that there are all kinds everywhere.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:53 AM

1,366 posts, read 2,928,151 times
I grew up in the north and live in Los Angeles. When I've been in the south and tell people I am from LA or California I have found I receive a more welcoming response than if I say I'm from Pennsylvania. My sense is a lot of southerners are tired of the "north" overpopulating their area, whereas this isn't the case with California...plus I think people from LA are generally much more friendly than people from NYC or DC.

My opinion of people in LA is they are a little loopy, but not really as loopy as I thought they would be before I moved here. Also, I think people in Southern California are a lot friendlier than I was expecting. Before I moved here I was warned about "fake, plastic, hostile, standoffish people," and I really don't see that much at all...just stay out of orange county though (you see it a lot more there but most of those people like that are generally transplants from NYC, DC, Philly, Chicago, etc.). I think LA people aren't necessarily overly talkative, but they still quite friendly and gregarious.

Many people who have lived in LA for a long time and move to other places are always quite confused at why people in other parts of the country are so judgemental of them. LA can be flashy and ostentatious, but at the same time people don't really care what you look like, what you drive or what you do for a living. It's a very odd and paradoxial behavior that I can't quite explain.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 AM

322 posts, read 704,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
LA can be flashy and ostentatious, but at the same time people don't really care what you look like, what you drive or what you do for a living. It's a very odd and paradoxial behavior that I can't quite explain.
yea i noticed it too...like outside this forum L.A people don't really "hate" or "love" any cities(manhattan, chic, etc)

its a sense of indifference in that we don't really care what goes on out there in the midwest/east that some people on this forum cannot grasp...its makes them mad because we are so carefree and "flakey"

Old 06-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
I would make a separation btw urban CA and rural CA. In general Southerners have a deep interest in the American Wild West, which includes the whole Sierra Nevada range into Death Valley. I am guessing this started when former Civil War soliders from the South were sent out west during the Indian Wars and came home with stories about the beauty of the land and the "Wild West" lifestyle. Growing up in rural Kentucky my uncles would buy me cowboy boots/ hats, and even got me western style belts with my name embroidered on it in a local western store. My cousins and I watched Westerns more than cartoons.

I think the view of urban California would be more complex, as most Southerners dislike the materialism associated with CA, while at the same time appreciating the beauty of San Francisco or parts of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or