U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM

127 posts, read 123,789 times

Advertisements

I've met people from California who are very nice and very rude, so I have no hard and fast judgement on Californians!

However, if there was I was to ever form a stereotype, I would say they are upper middle class to upper class snobs who are materialistic, obsessed with beauty (if somethings not pretty...they can't get over it) and love to smoke the ganja. Kinda sounds like my roomie from San Francisco, but she's just one person like I said before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 09:43 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,990,543 times
The transplants feel like the one-night stand that won't go away. What happened during that visit to California should stay in California!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times
I don't really don't have a set opinion. I've known lots of Californians. Some are terrific. Some are total idiots. Some are rude and selfish. Some are considerate. Just like every other state in the union.

However, I will make an exception by expressing a special loathing for that enclave known as Hollywood. My brother is a screenwriter and had a Hollywood wedding. My family, all of whom were better educated, better dressed, and better groomed than his Hollywood friends, were treated with exceptional rudeness. I guess they figured that, because we were from Alabama, we were the Clampetts.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:58 PM

893 posts, read 444,531 times
Every neighbor I've ever had from California was wonderful and I am still friends with one.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:08 PM

15,460 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjbrent View Post
I am not Southern, but live part time in Florida so my opinion may or may not count here.

Of coarse this is a generalazation because we know not everyone is the same.

The born and raised Cali folks are tend to be more down to Earth.

The folks that are not from there and move out there I have found to be a little more rude. Kind of like 'I have arrived!'
YES! This is SO TRUE!! I can't stand the pompous attitude of some transplants here that think they are so cool, important, ect.. just b/c they live in CA now. Some of them act like they are freakin natives and they own this place. And the sad part is some are attracted by the stereotypes and just end up being one here. All the super leftists liberals attracted to SF, all the fake, wanna be celebrities attracted to LA. Not that I am against transplants in general at all, but I cannot stand how some come here and are total stereotypes and make others elsewhere think that's how most natives are.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:34 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,568,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
YES! This is SO TRUE!! I can't stand the pompous attitude of some transplants here that think they are so cool, important, ect.. just b/c they live in CA now. Some of them act like they are freakin natives and they own this place. And the sad part is some are attracted by the stereotypes and just end up being one here. All the super leftists liberals attracted to SF, all the fake, wanna be celebrities attracted to LA. Not that I am against transplants in general at all, but I cannot stand how some come here and are total stereotypes and make others elsewhere think that's how most natives are.
This is so true.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:09 PM

18,637 posts, read 27,047,623 times
No problem with them at all.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,651,567 times
I view them as willing to spend more on a home than I am.

But I see them as generally good people who are a little spoiled by the weather.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:25 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,747,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Do Southern People view Californians rude or friendly?
A lot of people I knew in Arkansas just thought that Californians were crazy, loopy, weird, freakish... you have to realize that the people who thought that way were just going on what they saw in the Californians who moved to Arkansas, they hadn't actually been to out to California. Granted, someone who moves to Arkansas on purpose has to be a tad bit "out there".
When you go to California, you realize there is some semblance of normalcy, although it's not the norm, so to speak.

Last edited by northbound74; 04-15-2008 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,595,623 times
from the deep south, lived here 30 years.
in mississippi people are real real nice and the weather is lousy
in california its exactly the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or