U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2008, 04:29 AM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,441,303 times
Reputation: 403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine View Post
Do Southern People view Californians rude or friendly?
Californians tend to view southerners stereotypically, moreso than the people from any other state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2008, 05:05 AM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,441,303 times
Reputation: 403
My wife is from California, and while she does refer to me as "redneck" every now and then, I wouldn't trade her for the world. I just tease back that she is from the land of "fruits and nuts."

I think as with all states, people from California think their state is wonderful. And as my wife would say, there is a lot going for the state. There is beautiful beaches, mountains, deserts, a lot of change in terrain. It's a nice state. But it doesn't make one rude to be from there, just because it's a state many wish they came from or lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2008, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I would agree with you on this comment, very few people I know here in CA that are planning on moving to other places have the southeast on their list. Majority have places like ID, AZ, NM, UT, MT, WY. I know some of the people where I work have moved to Atlanta, but those were strictly job relocations to the main corporate office.
On the other hand, when I lived in NJ, the fav places for relocation were of course FL along with the Carolinas.
many of them are choosing Texas though. After Nevada, Texas has received more Californians than any other state percentage wise. In raw numbers, More Californians have moved to Texas than any other state. I'll try to find a data but even with Black Americans, Californians are flocking to both Dallas and Houston. People on the Austin forum call their city being Californicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2008, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Mobile, Alabama
251 posts, read 811,830 times
Reputation: 104
I have been to Los Angeles. I did not have a negative feel at all. I was picked at because of my southern drawl, but did not feel I was being made fun of. It was like people wanted to just hear it.

I have found people are people anywhere you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2008, 06:08 AM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,119,597 times
Reputation: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
People on the Austin forum call their city being Californicated.
LOL Good one, Spade!

*AHEM* ANYWAY, as to the larger topic, I will just share this list that I ran across from the following web site:

Texifornian Jokes (http://texifornia.windhavenweb.com/TXCAjokes.html - broken link)

Apparently, it was written by a Californian who had moved to Texas. Not a lot to disagree with here!

Tips for a Californian Entering Texas
(Adapted from Tips For Northerner Moving South)

It doesn't matter that California is not geographically part of the North--in Texas, you're still a Yankee.

Be prepared to hear, "You ain't from around here, are you?" a lot.

After you tell them where you're from, expect to hear one of the following:
- Hasn't that God-forsaken place fallen into the ocean yet?
- Bet you're glad to be out of the land of fruits and nuts, huh?

Walk slower, or you'll find yourself walking by yourself (you're Texas friends will still be meandering a block behind).

People also talk slow here. You can still talk fast if you want to--but try to hold yourself back from finishing people's sentences.

Don't like the weather? Just wait. Just because its 40 degrees today doesn't tomorrow it won't be 90.

Texans drive just about as well as most Californian's do on icy roads...so stay home the two days of the year it snows.

But if you DO venture out and run your car in a ditch, don't panic. Four men in a the cab of a 4 wheel drive with a 12 pack of beer and a tow chain will be along directly. Don't try to help them and for Heaven's sake, stay out of their way. This is what they live for.

Texas may only get 2 days of snow, but the wind-chill is killer. Buy a jacket (a REAL jacket).

Yes, it will be around 100 most of the summer--but don't pack away all your sweaters yet. You'll need at least one for the freezing cold air conditioned temeratures kept at most office buildings and restaurants.

Don't buy food at the movie store. Your system can't handle it.

Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.

There's nothing sillier than a Californian imitating a Southern accent--except maybe a Northerner imitating a Southern accent.

Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand YOU, either.

Men in Texas get offended if you don't let them open the door for you. If you forget this and happen to open a door yourself while with a Texan, don't be surprized to hear comments like "Not many gentlement in California, are there?" or "You're not one of those feminazis, are you?

You can ask us for directions, but unless you're pretty familiar with the positions of key rocks, trees, hills, and where Uncle Ned smashed his pick-em'up truck back in '79, you're probably better off trying to get there your-own- self..

Most roads in Texas have at least two names, and possibly a number.

The legal defense, "He needed killin'" is valid in the South.

If attending a funeral in the South, remember, we stay until the last spade of dirt is thrown on and the tent is tore down.

If you hear one of those "Big Ol' Boys" exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of his way. These are very likely the last words he will ever say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2008, 06:31 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,955,891 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Good one, Spade!

*AHEM* ANYWAY, as to the larger topic, I will just share this list that I ran across from the following web site:

Texifornian Jokes (http://texifornia.windhavenweb.com/TXCAjokes.html - broken link)

Apparently, it was written by a Californian who had moved to Texas. Not a lot to disagree with here!

Tips for a Californian Entering Texas
(Adapted from Tips For Northerner Moving South)

It doesn't matter that California is not geographically part of the North--in Texas, you're still a Yankee.

Be prepared to hear, "You ain't from around here, are you?" a lot.

After you tell them where you're from, expect to hear one of the following:
- Hasn't that God-forsaken place fallen into the ocean yet?
- Bet you're glad to be out of the land of fruits and nuts, huh?

Walk slower, or you'll find yourself walking by yourself (you're Texas friends will still be meandering a block behind).

People also talk slow here. You can still talk fast if you want to--but try to hold yourself back from finishing people's sentences.

Don't like the weather? Just wait. Just because its 40 degrees today doesn't tomorrow it won't be 90.

Texans drive just about as well as most Californian's do on icy roads...so stay home the two days of the year it snows.

But if you DO venture out and run your car in a ditch, don't panic. Four men in a the cab of a 4 wheel drive with a 12 pack of beer and a tow chain will be along directly. Don't try to help them and for Heaven's sake, stay out of their way. This is what they live for.

Texas may only get 2 days of snow, but the wind-chill is killer. Buy a jacket (a REAL jacket).

Yes, it will be around 100 most of the summer--but don't pack away all your sweaters yet. You'll need at least one for the freezing cold air conditioned temeratures kept at most office buildings and restaurants.

Don't buy food at the movie store. Your system can't handle it.

Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later how to use it.

There's nothing sillier than a Californian imitating a Southern accent--except maybe a Northerner imitating a Southern accent.

Don't be worried that you don't understand anyone. They don't understand YOU, either.

Men in Texas get offended if you don't let them open the door for you. If you forget this and happen to open a door yourself while with a Texan, don't be surprized to hear comments like "Not many gentlement in California, are there?" or "You're not one of those feminazis, are you?

You can ask us for directions, but unless you're pretty familiar with the positions of key rocks, trees, hills, and where Uncle Ned smashed his pick-em'up truck back in '79, you're probably better off trying to get there your-own- self..

Most roads in Texas have at least two names, and possibly a number.

The legal defense, "He needed killin'" is valid in the South.

If attending a funeral in the South, remember, we stay until the last spade of dirt is thrown on and the tent is tore down.

If you hear one of those "Big Ol' Boys" exclaim, "Hey, y'all, watch this!" stay out of his way. These are very likely the last words he will ever say.


Very good! I have heard alot of that said about Kentucky too. Fun post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2008, 07:36 AM
 
1,178 posts, read 3,441,303 times
Reputation: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
My wife is from California, and while she does refer to me as "redneck" every now and then, I wouldn't trade her for the world. I just tease back that she is from the land of "fruits and nuts."

I think as with all states, people from California think their state is wonderful. And as my wife would say, there is a lot going for the state. There is beautiful beaches, mountains, deserts, a lot of change in terrain. It's a nice state. But it doesn't make one rude to be from there, just because it's a state many wish they came from or lived in.
Written by my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 7,146,757 times
Reputation: 2845
I have one descriptive word when I think of Californians:

Nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 11:09 PM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,022 posts, read 4,527,136 times
Reputation: 2052
Off the top of my head I can think of the following states that HATE Californians: Oregon, Washington, Texas, Colorado, and Arkansas.

It's not just that Californians are perceived as being "uppity" but it's also what they do to the local houseing market. People who've lived in an area, working hard, scrimp and save to make that down payment on a home. Then the Californians come in (having sold their home for WAY more than it would go for locally) and snatch up the good realestate. This drives up the local housing prices--out of reach for some of the residents. And the Californians keep coming....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2008, 11:11 PM
 
3,669 posts, read 8,845,388 times
Reputation: 2138
I think people in Georgia stereotype Californians as surfer dudes or valley girls, like the ones you see in 1980's and 90's movies and TV shows (Fast Times at Ridgemount High, Clueless, 90210, Saved By the Bell, etc.). They may not want to have much to do with California itself, but Georgia has become more similar to California, especially since 2000 with the crime/gangs, smog, traffic, illegal immigrants, materialism, and sprawling suburban communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top