U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 11:14 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,717,338 times

Advertisements

The southerners find many Californians annoying.
Because they come to the south thinking its going to be a racist Hick town, even major cities.
They're sort of arrogant, comparing how much the weather sucks compared to CA.
And considering that fact that many Southerns are conservative, they look down on California.
They reference California as being a liberal She-it hole.
Sort of the opposite.
But aside, from that...they're just people.
Southerns can be stereotypical too, chances are if you live in a large city most people won't even be able to tell your from California and thus won't care.
I see them as people, or I try to. I mean, all in all...a few years in the south and they'll be just as southern Culturally as ever before... whether they like it or not.
They'll get integrated and after a while won't be though of as a Californian.
Not that anyone avoids anyone because they're a Californian. I think you're putting too much weight on the subject.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 11:27 PM

395 posts, read 400,944 times
I havent had much experience with Californians. They dont come here very often anyway. I do know they say "You Guys" a lot- which does not really appeal to me. I know that every person is unique. I dont like to label people. SO Im sure Californians are varied.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:14 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,486,120 times
Well, as a Californian, I want to caution folks on stereotyping us all in one group. I'm a native Californian, and have had family in this county since the gold rush. For example, here's some info about my town taken from a google search:
Quote:
A unique and enchanting town, Placerville was founded in 1848 by miners, merchants, soldiers and seamen who flocked to the area after James Marshall discovered gold in the tail race of the Sutter mill on the South Fork of the American River on January 24, 1848. First, alternately called "Ravine City" and "Blood and Guts", the popular name soon became "Old Dry Diggings" because the miners had to carry the "dry diggings" to the water in order to flush the gold from the rocks. Miners worked hard for their gold and they did not look kindly on the robbers who tried to take the finds of their labor by force. Three such thieves were tried by a jury assembled of onlookers who quickly sentenced the robbers to death. Justice was brutally swift in the middle 1800's and the three men were immediately hung from a huge tree that stood in "Elstner's Hay Yard" next to "The Jackass Inn". The town was now appropriately called "Hangtown". In 1853 "Hangtown" was incorporated and renamed "Placerville". Placerville was designated the seat of El Dorado County by an act of the California legislature in 1857.

It is appropriate that the place to mete out justice is the historic El Dorado County Courthouse. Placerville's citizens drive well worn trucks, live in old restored homes that cling to steep ravines, and dress comfortably, respectfully interacting with their neighbors and approaching tourists with skepticism. Placervillians are not impressed by fancy dressers, fancy cars or fancy talkers. They are a practical, hard working people-- self reliant, self assured and self contained. Those who live in Placerville are quietly proud of their city's historical past and confident of their city's future. They are a practical, God fearing people who believe, as did their predecessors, in swift and rapid justice for those found guilty of wrongdoing.
Originally found at: NEWSMAKINGNEWS

So, when stereotyping us Californians, it's best to figure out which part of the state we're from, because it can have a very strong bearing on who we are.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,459,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Californians tend to view southerners stereotypically, moreso than the people from any other state.
I really hate to agree with SE here, but I agree. Nothing against Californians, but I do think many of them have strange ideas gleaned from Hollywood about what life is like in the South and the rest of "flyover country," and they frequently show their ignorance about this large part of the U.S.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:57 AM

32,392 posts, read 55,223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
They're sort of arrogant, comparing how much the weather sucks compared to CA.
When it comes to weather, Coastal Californians can be arrogant, just about everywhere else in America has horrible summer weather by comparison.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
When it comes to weather, Coastal Californians can be arrogant, just about everywhere else in America has horrible summer weather by comparison.
You may be right with summer weather, but then again some Californians assume everyone likes monotonous weather year-round when many people prefer four seasons. I thought at first some Southern Californians were joking when they admitted they get freaked out by thunderstorms.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:58 AM

43,566 posts, read 52,739,145 times
Moved to Texas from SoCal, and to answer the OP's question, it's a lot friendlier and less rude overall here in Texas.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:06 AM

32,392 posts, read 55,223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You may be right with summer weather, but then again some Californians assume everyone likes monotonous weather year-round when many people prefer four seasons. I thought at first some Southern Californians were joking when they admitted they get freaked out by thunderstorms.
Its much easier for someone from out of state to adjust to our weather than vice versa. We are big babies about weather.

On the other hand, weather isnt everything. I mean, I wouldnt use weather as a determining factor about moving somewhere. Well, except for snow and ice, I cant stand that stuff. But that's me. Unless we're talking about moving to NY, I can live with snow in that case.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM

2,498 posts, read 10,295,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Click on the video on the right that says ABC Storm Track Team Coverage. You will get a kick out of it. The news here goes crazy even if we are going to get .5 inches of rain and calls their weather report "Storm Watch 2008, Southern California to get .5 inches of rain over weekend!!!!"

Just watch the ad: ABC7 StormTrack Team Coverage

Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Click on the video on the right that says ABC Storm Track Team Coverage. You will get a kick out of it. The news here goes crazy even if we are going to get .5 inches of rain and calls their weather report "Storm Watch 2008, Southern California to get .5 inches of rain over weekend!!!!"

Just watch the ad: ABC7 StormTrack Team Coverage
That's funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or