U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2009, 09:36 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Reputation: 5662

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That has to be the dumbest thing, without question, I have ever read in my life. Based on what? Your watching of the television news? A drive through the South on the interstate?

Look, I'm not a Southerner by birth. I've lived all over the place. And I've seen places in California, Washington, Oregon, Ohio, Illinois, Maine, and Maryland that would look like a great place to film Deliverance 2.

Quit indulging in lazy stereotypes based on the way it was 30-40 years ago.
True, but, it is still like that out of the cities in the south... I have some black friends who have had bad experiences driving off the beaten path through alabama even in very recent times. The southeast in general has the most poverty and least education in the u.s. Sad but true. Just because some laws were passed doesn't mean peoples attitude changed... most of the people growing up pre civil rights time are still around and pass the same views down to their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2009, 09:40 AM
 
3 posts, read 4,357 times
Reputation: 12
who cares how they view us?? Seriously no one in California thinks about other places in the U.S really we have it all here..no one ever sits there and says "i wonder whats going on in NY" or "wonder what the weathers like in ATL" ...it just DOESNT happen...we live in a bubble of 36 million in the most powerful state in the nation...deal with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesHotGirl View Post
who cares how they view us?? Seriously no one in California thinks about other places in the U.S really we have it all here..no one ever sits there and says "i wonder whats going on in NY" or "wonder what the weathers like in ATL" ...it just DOESNT happen...we live in a bubble of 36 million in the most powerful state in the nation...deal with it
I dunno... for instance I have several friends from SF that say they want to go where the action is (usually artists/photographers/writers)... referring to NYC. But probably people in all regions think that of NYC.

I don't think they think that of other cities/regions though as much, so I get what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 AM
 
28,905 posts, read 46,762,541 times
Reputation: 46039
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
True, but, it is still like that out of the cities in the south... I have some black friends who have had bad experiences driving off the beaten path through alabama even in very recent times. The southeast in general has the most poverty and least education in the u.s. Sad but true. Just because some laws were passed doesn't mean peoples attitude changed... most of the people growing up pre civil rights time are still around and pass the same views down to their kids.
There's a difference between saying it IS like that and it CAN be like that. Absolutely, no question, there are pockets of rural poverty. What's more, there is more of it than other parts of the country. However, the South is also showing far faster economic growth than most parts of the country and, in the fifteen years I've lived here, the per capita income gap has narrowed significantly. Heck, I've had to visit various corners of the South over the past fifteen years, and I've seen the stereotypes destroyed over and over again even in the most isolated places.

Again, I think it's legitimate to point out a higher rate of poverty in the South when that's the actual point of the discussion. However, the guy from British Columbia made a lazy over-the-top statement that just really was just uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,698,355 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
True, but, it is still like that out of the cities in the south... I have some black friends who have had bad experiences driving off the beaten path through alabama even in very recent times. The southeast in general has the most poverty and least education in the u.s. Sad but true. Just because some laws were passed doesn't mean peoples attitude changed... most of the people growing up pre civil rights time are still around and pass the same views down to their kids.
You have those same type of incidents anywhere else in the country. I don't know why you assume only racist people exist in the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Reputation: 3059
In response to the OP, don't try to change us and we won't try to change you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 10:39 AM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,552 posts, read 13,462,663 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
New Mexico does not equal southern...

I know but I just wanted to comment cause some of the California people get on my nerves here cause they think CA is the best thing to ever happen to this country, there are nice ones though.

and NM is in the Southern part of the US, I know big difference but hey its all good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,956,069 times
Reputation: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I know but I just wanted to comment cause some of the California people get on my nerves here cause they think CA is the best thing to ever happen to this country, there are nice ones though.

and NM is in the Southern part of the US, I know big difference but hey its all good

Oh I TOTALLY know what you mean...by all means, get 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,305 posts, read 3,094,947 times
Reputation: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
I agree, the south is literally on the same level as many 2nd world nations. More comparable to living in a former republic of the Soviet Union.
Well...

Anywhere in the good ol' US of A will be able to provide examples of abject poverty coupled with a simple-minded mentality once you get away from the cities. And, I assume that's what you must mean by "literally on the same level as many 2nd world nations." This description of the South can actually just be rebranded as rural and be leant some legitimacy. The thing is, most people have a difficult time reconciling the actual South with the South of myths, Hollywood tales and old blues songs. For most of Southern history, it was largely rural, but that South doesn't really exist anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 11:35 AM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,391 posts, read 24,583,215 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
You have those same type of incidents anywhere else in the country. I don't know why you assume only racist people exist in the south.
I don't, and this is the classic argument given, but, I am sure you know you are wrong too.

So let me put it more clearly, racism exists EVERYWHERE in the U.S. but it is significantly worse in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top