U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 AM

25 posts, read 19,505 times

Advertisements

^^ OMG!! The Legendary "FutureCop" is back!!! CAN I Have your virtual autograph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,991,715 times
I don't think of the west as "laid back" at all. Not like the south.

And that varies according to regions within the individual states. I think California is largely fast-paced but it's a different story in Central California and the upper-Northern part, AND in the deep, desert Southern end. Highly different lifestyles from the Bay Area and L.A.

The Pacific Northwest, same thing. Oh, Portlanders like to think of their region as "laid back" but it's not. It's subject to the same gotta-have-it-now-or-yesterday pace, and I've not yet been able to figure out why.

If one travels throughout California and pays attention to its people, they may find it different from point A to point B to point C. Probably the same thing in Oregon. I do know that Oregonians are often noted to be friendly in a detached sort of way, but it could be a regional Portland-metro thing. I've heard numerous times that Seattle is NOT a warm, friendly place, but maybe it's different in Spokane where the lifestyle is so radically different.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 AM

34,694 posts, read 33,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
With all the talk about Southern friendliness and the Northeast blunt personalities, how are the people from the West percieved? We never hear anything about this and Im not talking about just California people cause there are many other Western states.
I wouldn't lump in people from Salt Lake City with people from San Francisco.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,173,373 times
When I think West, what comes to mind is not the West Coast, but instead the states that include and also just to the East of the Rocky Mountains. States like Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and most of Kansas and Nebraska. Even after spending time out in those areas the first image that pops into my head is of generally hard working, hard playing individuals. People who like company in short doses, but don't need or want lots of people around all the time. Educated, but a touch of redneck just for good measure. Kind, friendly, and warm; but still have the bark on and can make the tough choices without a lot of moaning and wailing about.

I know that is a very stereotyped image, but even after spending years in some locations (Texas) and months in others (Colorado, Montana) along with having friends in the rest of the states I mentioned, it is still the image I draw first. Some of the warmest people I have ever met are in the region I would consider "West," as well as some of the harshest redneck racist hillbillies I have ever met. Glad to say the good far out number the bad in my mind and experience.

In a nutshell for me: West = Hard working, honest, fun loving people.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:01 AM

542 posts, read 1,289,077 times
Live and let live.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:06 AM

23,124 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Generally more casual and outdoorsy...jeans and flannel wearing types...more health conscious.
When my husband and I saw the movie About Schmidt, he said that Kathy Bates and the other members of the groom's family captured Denver people perfectly.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:21 AM

692 posts, read 2,421,255 times
Tough to say there are so many transplants.
Here in Seattle there are a lot of Midwesterners
( just look for the hardest workers ). Funny
thing is they are definitely less defensive here
than back there, which begs the question :
Did they drop the attitude out here ? I know I mellowed
out big time a few years out of Chicago.
I noticed people actually use their vacations,
The Seattle schools have more field trips in a
year than I had in all my years in Chicago.
If laid back is an alternative way of handling stress
( as opposed to over drinking ) it sounds good to me.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,292,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
With all the talk about Southern friendliness and the Northeast blunt personalities, how are the people from the West percieved? We never hear anything about this and Im not talking about just California people cause there are many other Western states.
As poor spellers?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 AM

19,121 posts, read 26,694,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
Funny because you've never been to NY or CT. And you drove from CA to Ohio? CA to Connecticut? Yeah right.

If it's one thing daddy the lawyer has taught me, it's to detect lies like this. You've repetitively exposed your hatred of New York and everything around it... And you use Ohio as a little escape route to make it sound like you're not just picking at the NYC area.

You drove from CA to CT? And people engaged in conversations with you about California as you got out of your vehicle?

Haha what a jerkoff

I've driven from CA to the east coast a couple of times... I have a friend in Virginia and before I got my pilots license I'd drive down there every other year or so. I actually experienced the same thing, but it was mostly regarding if my dog was doing alright on such a long trip I also started conversations with people because of their license plates, even when I'm home in CA. It's interesting to get another persons perspective on life in a different area.

To answer the OP, I think many people in the west are perceived as the typical 'SoCal' numbnut. Of course, CA and the entire west coast is varied in it's inhabitants so it's tough to generalize.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 AM

550 posts, read 1,973,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I wouldn't lump in people from Salt Lake City with people from San Francisco.
Good point. But politics aside, are our general attitudes the same from San Francisco and Salt Lake? One may be extremely conservative and the other progressive, but other than that they can have the same behavior, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or