Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times

Advertisements

Which cities do you think are happy the way they are and dont try to be something they arnt?

I ask this cause the city of Albuquerque is so laid back and content with the way they are that they dont try to build skyscrapers and try to act like a larger city. The people here still treat this place like a small town and the upper class dont seperate themselves from the rest of us but blend in and everyone mixes together.There really arnt big mansions here like in other cities and Albuquerque is so full of history and character that I think they try to keep it that way as much as possible.

So what other cities are like this and which cities are opposite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 11:40 PM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
Maybe Des Moines is happy the way it is. The people there don't seem interested in remodeling or making it fun for tourists. The same goes for Dallas, Houston, and Austin. The people who live in those cities generally have a weird perception of the city. They think it is a super-great city because it is in Texas, but when a person comes along and points out that those cities are actually very dry and lack a unique vibe the people shun that person. So I guess they are happy the way they are.

Cities that aren't happy the way they are? Hmm......Miami?? I only suggest this city because Miami tries to pass itself off as some sort of paradise when it is the opposite. I could be wrong about Miami. Feel free to disagree.

......oh, and Vegas seems happy the way it is.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
I just see some cities out there that try to be like anytown USA, you know who you are cities, anyways that was another reason I created this thread.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:16 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Philadelphia Metro- it has no want or interest for what happens in other places. It doesn't care about anywhere else but Philly. It never changes. I could come back 25 years from now and it'll look exactly the same. Thats why it'll always be dirty, corrupt and stagnant.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,291 times
wow, that's harsh, leighland.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:03 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Philadelphia Metro- it has no want or interest for what happens in other places. It doesn't care about anywhere else but Philly. It never changes. I could come back 25 years from now and it'll look exactly the same. Thats why it'll always be dirty, corrupt and stagnant.
Aww, you're making me homesick...

Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Aww, you're making me homesick...
You're right in that some people want for their cities to remain the same. That way, they can always go home again. But for me, it's just not progress, I want places to be growing and fluid..

Old 06-05-2008, 12:58 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
That huge mall in King of Prussia seems like its in a nice area.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 PM

153 posts, read 565,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Which cities do you think are happy the way they are and dont try to be something they arnt?

I ask this cause the city of Albuquerque is so laid back and content with the way they are that they dont try to build skyscrapers and try to act like a larger city. The people here still treat this place like a small town and the upper class dont seperate themselves from the rest of us but blend in and everyone mixes together.There really arnt big mansions here like in other cities and Albuquerque is so full of history and character that I think they try to keep it that way as much as possible.

So what other cities are like this and which cities are opposite?
Milwaukee. I think the mentality is we're so close to Chicago (87 miles), why bother with anything.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:46 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post

Dirty, corrupt, stagnant may describe small portions of the city of Philadelphia but the metro at large is the antithesis of his/her description.

Nothing perturbs me more than a CA. transplant passing through town who probably is familiar with 15 sq miles of a 5,000 sq mile area and all the sudden is an expert on the entire area. Take this persons opinion with a grain of salt please.

Philadlephia area is one of the best kept secrets in the country.

Median household income (2007) by County

USA Avg. $50,740
LA County $53,573
SD County $61,794

Suburban Philadlephia counties

Chester (PA)$83,146
Montgomery(PA)$ 74,000
Bucks(PA)$73,951
Burlington(NJ)$73,566
Gloucester(NJ)$70,881
Mercer(NJ)$70,258
Delaware(PA)$62,232
New Castle(DE)$61,974
Camden (NJ) $60,262

Leighlands idea of progress. You can have it.

home base Orange County CA

Give me stagnant Philadlephia anyday. There is a pretty good reason why the Philadlephia area doesnt want to carve up its countryside and change its character.

Last edited by rainrock; 11-08-2008 at 08:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.