U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,648,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Just easier to move, imo. Obviously voting is said to be doing your part, but no guarantee for change.
So, following your logic, most cities would no longer exist.

And moving is not always an option. Sometimes you love your home too much to watch it fall apart without doing something to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 02:58 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,213,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
So, following your logic, most cities would no longer exist.
Huh, I don't get that logic. Why would they no longer exist?

Quote:
And moving is not always an option. Sometimes you love your home too much to watch it fall apart without doing something to help.
Yeah, I addressed that. For me, it's easier to move. I would not want to consume my life with a never ending battle. That's just me and I can usually adapt anywhere.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,449,721 times
Quote:
I see a lot of complaining here, and bashing certain cities. You've heard that phrase "if you don't vote, don't complain". Well, I realize all cities have problems. And it's okay to talk about those problems to find a solution. But rather than complain about your city and how nasty parts of it are, how about doing something to help? There's a lot one person can do. Give your skills, give your time, maybe give your money. Help with Habitat for Humanity, volunteer at a soup kitchen. But if you're going to complain that much, and you really want to see it changed, do something. Even 1 Saturday a month (for example). I realize we're all busy with our lives, but just one day a month or a few hours a month can make a difference. I think our cities would be a lot better off if the complainers who point at the city and talk about how nasty it is would get their hands dirty. Wherever you are, please think about doing something. Your own life isn't all about you, because we all depend on each other.

I need to take my own advice, though. There's probably something I could do around my little town (I don't live in St. Louis). But I have volunteered to tutor kids at school, and I found that it enriched my life. It was hard or boring sometimes, but it was also very fulfilling, and I usually enjoyed it. If you can give a little money, a little time, or a little whatever, I'm sure it would help your city/town out. It doesn't have to be big. Maybe help clean your local church, or clean up a local park. Find a community garden and help there. Around Christmas time you can always donate a few dollars and buy things kids in the neighborhood need (usually called adopt a child or something similar) or to buy a family a Christmas dinner. Little things can make such a difference.

Please, if you want to see your neighborhood/city/metro change, do something. Turn off the TV, get out of the Laz-ee-boy, and volunteer or donate. What can you lose? Nothing but a few bucks or a little bit of your time.

I realize this a little off-topic, but I felt I needed to say it.
Great post!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 AM

125 posts, read 391,514 times
I'm on a mission to save the rust belt cities.

I'm working towards a law degree. and will be moving to Pittsburgh(same state but the town I'm in is a smaller one with limited oppurtunities)

Want to start a web site and get people attracted to the old rust belt cities.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
Default where I live

where I live... its a surfing town. that's all people are focused on. surfing, the lifestyle, the social scene, smoking weed. The mentality. There's also about 2 seasons: hot and rainy/muggy, and hot and sunny/muggy. I like absolutely nothing about this place. I have no motivation to do anything ever. It doesn't mean I don't TRY. I have tried, I do try. (to like it)

I just don't belong here.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:09 AM

22,113 posts, read 23,627,108 times
Fantastic topic. Submit to the local newspaper, go to your city council meetings, know the issues in your city, and all that other good stuff. It's incredible that people can read and know so much at the national/federal level (especially the political scene) and yet be unable to name the members of their city council (or whatever system is used) or what local ordinances are being passed--things that have such an incredibly direct effect on their lives!

Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangebreed View Post
where I live... its a surfing town. that's all people are focused on. surfing, the lifestyle, the social scene, smoking weed. The mentality. There's also about 2 seasons: hot and rainy/muggy, and hot and sunny/muggy. I like absolutely nothing about this place. I have no motivation to do anything ever. It doesn't mean I don't TRY. I have tried, I do try. (to like it)

I just don't belong here.
Yeah its pretty hard to change the whole culture of a city... i.e. you aren't going to change the southern culture say if you get a job in Montgomery, thinking it might be alright for the price a company is paying you, then hate the culture and way of life there, i.e all they are focused on is Alabama/Auburn football, church and hunting. Likewise you aren't going to make Portland allign itself with the evangelical christian right.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,044,591 times
Why try to make yourself like the place you live when you can just move somewhere that already is a place you like?

Old 03-01-2009, 07:23 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Why try to make yourself like the place you live when you can just move somewhere that already is a place you like?
Which is one of the great things about America sometimes overlooked... There is most likely a city to fit everybody, which all the people are speaking the same language. In Europe they have this too, but, you are going to be in an entirely different country and a different language as well.
Albeit, most people I believe (but don't know the statistics) pretty much stay in the same state and region they were born in throughout their lives, and might have led a much happier life elsewhere.
This trend is changing though as things are more interconnected, more flights, less people having families... it is easier for somebody to move.
If I had to take a 3 day train to see my family, instead of a 2 1/2 hour flight... I think myself and many other people would have never moved either.
Thus, we have sites like city data... where people can figure out which cities cater to what.

If everybody tried to change things and have every city like each other or a certain ideology, it would be a pretty boring homogenization, kind of like the walmartization currently going on.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,648,330 times
I'm not saying make all cities alike. I'm saying, if your city has problems (which every city does), then do what you can to help your city. Vote in the people you feel will help you city most. Volunteer to clean up a park. Do something. I understand if you want to move because you're not happy where you are, but sometimes you love your home, you just want to change it. I'm saying do something about the problems in your city. Don't sit there and complain about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or