U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:18 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of complaining here, and bashing certain cities. You've heard that phrase "if you don't vote, don't complain". Well, I realize all cities have problems. And it's okay to talk about those problems to find a solution. But rather than complain about your city and how nasty parts of it are, how about doing something to help? There's a lot one person can do. Give your skills, give your time, maybe give your money. Help with Habitat for Humanity, volunteer at a soup kitchen. But if you're going to complain that much, and you really want to see it changed, do something. Even 1 Saturday a month (for example). I realize we're all busy with our lives, but just one day a month or a few hours a month can make a difference. I think our cities would be a lot better off if the complainers who point at the city and talk about how nasty it is would get their hands dirty. Wherever you are, please think about doing something. Your own life isn't all about you, because we all depend on each other.

I need to take my own advice, though. There's probably something I could do around my little town (I don't live in St. Louis). But I have volunteered to tutor kids at school, and I found that it enriched my life. It was hard or boring sometimes, but it was also very fulfilling, and I usually enjoyed it. If you can give a little money, a little time, or a little whatever, I'm sure it would help your city/town out. It doesn't have to be big. Maybe help clean your local church, or clean up a local park. Find a community garden and help there. Around Christmas time you can always donate a few dollars and buy things kids in the neighborhood need (usually called adopt a child or something similar) or to buy a family a Christmas dinner. Little things can make such a difference.

Please, if you want to see your neighborhood/city/metro change, do something. Turn off the TV, get out of the Laz-ee-boy, and volunteer or donate. What can you lose? Nothing but a few bucks or a little bit of your time.

I realize this a little off-topic, but I felt I needed to say it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:59 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,051,808 times
There's some stuff you can't change. An obvious example is weather. If you don't like the weather where you live, you can't change it and you can't make yourself like it.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,971,762 times
Default Very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
There's some stuff you can't change. An obvious example is weather. If you don't like the weather where you live, you can't change it and you can't make yourself like it.
If you hate the weather outside, you don't want to go out and do ANYTHING.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
I realize some things you can't change, but some you can.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,216,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I realize some things you can't change, but some you can.
You know, I've got to disagree with you. Mayyybe, just maybe a person could change the city they live in.

If so, they better be prepared for 'this change' to become their new full time job and they would have to allocate all their time and recources finding MANY others who feel the same way.

Just easier to move, imo. Obviously voting is said to be doing your part, but no guarantee for change.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:31 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,051,808 times
Exactly. Why try to change a place to make it somewhere you like when there's somewhere you could move to that already is somewhere you like? And like I said earlier, there is some stuff you can't change. In my case, a lot of the problems I have with the place I live are stuff I can't change.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM

692 posts, read 2,420,647 times
Quote:
Exactly. Why try to change a place to make it somewhere you like when there's somewhere you could move to that already is somewhere you like? And like I said earlier, there is some stuff you can't change. In my case, a lot of the problems I have with the place I live are stuff I can't change.
Only so much time and energy in ones life,
besides moving not only gives us hope but
the opportunity to both talk up our new homes
while trashing our old ones. Kinda like Hollywood marriages.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM

8,005 posts, read 16,065,047 times
I don't like the idea of changing places. I don't like living in Portland, ME but I wouldn't change it even if I could. It's got its own unique little culture and to change it would be stupid.

I'm not going to complain about living here, but I'll get out when i can.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,052,874 times
Many folks are just plain to lazy or week to do anything that may improve their community. It's a lot easier to gripe and nag.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,813 times
It's not that people complain about Houston that actually live here, not many do.

It is the ignorant people that have never been to Houston that do 95% of the complaining about Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or