Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 AM

25 posts, read 87,082 times

Advertisements

Hi,can anyone compare the 3 states please,people,property prices,taxes,jobs,schools,etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2006, 09:10 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,840 times
Default lived in VT

Sorry I can't speak about what you ask but:

I lived in VT, but it was very close to upstate NY. Lived there for 5 years. I can tell you a lot about VT: to sum it up, if you can find gainful employment, there is no better quality of life anywhere in the US. Unfortunately, even my college-educated buddies can only find work at the ski resorts, paying $10 an hour. VT will never be overdeveloped, the way I see it. No billboards allowed. No neon signs allowed. It may not seem like a big deal, but there is no advertising anywhere- signs for hotels are small brown signs provided by the State of VT. This makes most highways through the whole state are scenic. Tons of small, quaint towns with generally educated population. They don't allow much building, the historic preservation is the best in the country. Of course, it does hurt the economy. Tons of trees and farms. Low, rounded mountains that burst into color in fall better than anywhere else (equal to upstate and NH).

NH has taller mountains, more forested, less farms. 18 mile seacoast, which is unique. Better job opportunities. NH I call a cross between VT and NJ. Southern NH is mainly suburbs very similar in feel to north jersey. Central and northern NH has deep forests, small towns, very quaint. Lots of lakes. People in NH are more bitter about people from Mass flowing into the state. Taxes are low, and people are very opposed to them- very independent people who do not rely on government services.

Upstate Ny historically has more industry- Erie Canal, the Thruway link these towns, some of which are economically struggling now. NY has a bit of everything that VT and NH don't have, such as large city areas. But the wilderness in NY is vast- the Adirondack Park is bigger than NJ, and few people live there. No billboards in this area either.

Overall, I would pick NH because of the job opportunities and ocean access, but it is farthest from NJ and not that cheap to live there. I'm still currently looking in NY due to my strong affinity for the area, and family present there and in NJ. VT is great if you like a very rural atmosphere, but there are many tourists, and limited access to large cities.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 PM

74 posts, read 370,983 times
I lived in Plattsburgh, NY for a year (1978), went to college in Buffalo, spent many summers in wesern Maine and northern NH. I would suggest considering Maine also. Interior Maine is similar to Vt and NH. From Watertown, NY east thru the Adirondacks to Plattsburgh is rural. Plattsburgh is on Lake Champlain, across the lake and little south is
Burlington, Vt the biggest city in Vermont. If you follow US route 2 to Maine you will find that the northern Vt, NH and Maine are rural. Southern Maine ( costal Me) and NH are more crowded and are expensive. In about 3 years I'll retired and head back to one of these states.
I have been away for many years and I miss that part of the country. What Phish Head stated above is pretty much how I remember it.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Question Are there particular places in these states........

that you are interested in? Point being that although there may be some basic stats true for each state listed, however, my opinion is you have to focus more on a particular area in each state that you are interested in to get a better idea of prices, jobs, people.............You can have a smaller town and larger town in the same state (even fairly close to one another), yet those 2 towns can have much different housing costs, job opportunities, school qualities, etc..............even particular types of towns. Example: ski towns in VT: Stowe and Jay Peak are going to be quite different in housing costs and many other factors.........Any specific towns in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.