U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think is the most overrated city in the United States??
Miami 23 20.91%
Las Vegas 32 29.09%
Atlanta 29 26.36%
Austin 32 29.09%
Los Angeles 15 13.64%
Houston 18 16.36%
Orlando 14 12.73%
San Diego 22 20.00%
New York City 15 13.64%
Chicago 13 11.82%
Other 11 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Irvine,Oc,Ca
1,423 posts, read 4,234,284 times
Reputation: 671
How is LA Overrated Its the most Hated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,259,536 times
Reputation: 1819
I don't think Las Vegas is over hyped at all. It was a lot better than I expected. I love that city Not just for the gambling, just in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,141 posts, read 9,925,452 times
Reputation: 6429
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I don't disagree with you. I have visited NYC many times, and always have a blast! I would never live there becuase I don't like dense areas, and am a "country boy", but it's a nice tourist destination, especially around the Hollidays. I think the reason some may see it as overly hyped doesn't have anything to do with if it is deserving or not, but rather the fact that people do not like when residents "boast" about their city in an im bigger and better than you way. There is nothing appealing about that, and hence the vote for overrated, or overhyped. NYC is not the only city I believe that does this in this forum setting, I constantly see it with Chicago to the point that the people vouching for Chicago sound as if they are trying to convice you of it, I am from Houston, and I see them doing it alot too. Austin is also guilty with all of the "Austin best city" etc...threads. When I see that mess I immediately think negatively about there city rather than positively. Seems like humility, and modesty has no place for some.
Well said. Nicely done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,712,804 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Austin in 1969 was a college town.
Austin in 2009 is no longer a college town.
When was the last time you were there???

Austin still is a college town, no matter what you say. Throwing up fancy towers isn't going to change that, because lots of events and the culture still centers around the college scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,219,805 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
When was the last time you were there???

Austin still is a college town, no matter what you say. Throwing up fancy towers isn't going to change that, because lots of events and the culture still centers around the college scene.

How many students are currently at UT? Last I remember wasn't it close to 50K? (Not that this has any point to this conversation)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,712,804 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
How many students are currently at UT? Last I remember wasn't it close to 50K? (Not that this has any point to this conversation)
I think your right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,453,769 times
Reputation: 8936
The thing about these stupid polls is inevitably some mentally unbalanced person will go and create several new screenames and skew the poll #'s for god knows what reason. As an example, there are five users who just joined today or yesterday with at most 1 posts or none at all voting for San Diego as well as voting for every city except LA and NYC. And I have a very good hunch that "Urbanity Rules" is back with one of this many new screen names after being banned AGAIN for 5th or 6th time. The last 3 posts above me (edit: these were deleted so I'm obviously not calling the regular posters above me trolls) are more than likely "Urbanity Rules". It would be nice if the mods could ban IP addresses from joining b/c this kid has done this many times and will continue to do so.

Last edited by sav858; 01-20-2009 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,404,458 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The thing about these stupid polls is inevitably some mentally unbalanced person will go and create several new screenames and skew the poll #'s for god knows what reason. As an example, there are five users who just joined today or yesterday with at most 1 posts or none at all voting for San Diego as well as voting for every city except LA and NYC. And I have a very good hunch that "Urbanity Rules" is back with one of this many new screen names after being banned AGAIN for 5th or 6th time. The last 3 posts above me are more than likely "Urbanity Rules". It would be nice if the mods could ban IP addresses from joining b/c this kid has done this many times and will continue to do so.
They did that for Chicago too! the GodBlessAmerica guy only didn't vote for New York and Los Angeles.

Or if they made it so you needed a certain amount of rep points or posts to take part in polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:50 PM
 
2,486 posts, read 2,363,917 times
Reputation: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The thing about these stupid polls is inevitably some mentally unbalanced person will go and create several new screenames and skew the poll #'s for god knows what reason. As an example, there are five users who just joined today or yesterday with at most 1 posts or none at all voting for San Diego as well as voting for every city except LA and NYC. And I have a very good hunch that "Urbanity Rules" is back with one of this many new screen names after being banned AGAIN for 5th or 6th time. The last 3 posts above me are more than likely "Urbanity Rules". It would be nice if the mods could ban IP addresses from joining b/c this kid has done this many times and will continue to do so.
Hey now, there is no reason to call me mentally unbalanced......... I only got like 10 different screen names voting San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: San Diego
25 posts, read 19,525 times
Reputation: 19
this thread is a Load of ****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top