U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:35 PM

780 posts, read 1,487,975 times

Advertisements

Downtown Miami: 7.5

Include the beaches: 9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:51 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,322,884 times
manhattan from midtown to downtown acts as nycs main "downtown" and i give it a 10/10. Its perfect

Old 04-15-2011, 06:06 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,144,915 times
For downtowns in big cities I've been to (examples by rank):

10. Paris (It has EVERYTHING, and there is even a high-rise section of Paris called Le Defense so you can't knock it for being short. The city feels alive like nature created it herself!)
09. New York (not a 10 to me because I don't feel quite the same level of natural connection between neighborhoods and buildings, with the exception of the outer boroughs and Central Park)
08. Chicago (almost as good as NYC, same problem with connection to people/buildings, not as big)
07. Miami
06. Minneapolis (nice, plenty to do, but feels immature or incomplete)
05. St. Louis
04. Columbus (SO new, SO spread out, but very up-and-coming and has mix of res., office, retail)
03. Austin (I'll never hear the end of this, but Austin doesn't gell very much to me. The neighborhoods are so new that I can't count them, and other than 6th St bar scene I have no idea what people do in downtown Austin)
02. Dayton
01. Gary (I know, not big, but no big city can be as bad as a "1" IMO, and I only DROVE thru Gary 'cause it looked terrible)

Old 04-15-2011, 07:24 PM

847 posts, read 1,638,410 times
I must admit, Rochester's isn't very good at all. I'll rate it on the following...

Architecture - 8/10
Nightlife - 3/10
Downtown Living - 4/10
Culture - 5/10
Density - 2/10
Skyline - 7/10
Shopping - 1/10

Overall, I'd give it a 4 out of 10. The only good nightlife in center city is in the East End. Shopping is non existent now that Midtown Plaza is gone and the place is a ghost town after 7PM. There are some new restaurants popping up and there is a current residential boom downtown, which is good news. Still though, in Rochester there is a lot left to be desired.

Last edited by 585WNY; 04-15-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 10:43 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,322,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
For downtowns in big cities I've been to (examples by rank):

[B]09. New York (not a 10 to me because I don't feel quite the same level of natural connection between neighborhoods and buildings, with the exception of the outer boroughs and Central Park)

[
Can you explain this please. This doesnt make sense to me. A natural relationship between neighborhoods and buildings...wtf? You dont know what your talking about

Old 04-16-2011, 01:15 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,156,428 times
I'd say that few of the Texas downtowns fare well against some other states'.

San Antonio's CBD has a lot of interesting old and new architecture, but it caters mainly to tourists, and has relatively few residents for a city its size. Austin's has more residents, but it is dominated by college students and people who still wish they were 21. Dallas's downtown is somewhat disappointing imo. It has gleaming skyscrapers, but seemingly few residents. I've only seen downtown Fort Worth from 35, so I can't really comment on it, and I haven't been to Houston's in years. Lubbock is trying to improve its downtown area, and has been successful with an area adjacent to it, but has a lot of work to do. Its architecture for the most part leaves a lot to be desired. It does have some clubs, a winery, a microbrewery, restaurants, a few museums, a civic center, and some residents, along with businesses and the usual attorneys. It needs an auditorium, I think (the city uses a 1950's-era structure on the Texas Tech campus that the university does not need), and more residents/businesses. I'd give Lubbock's downtown a 2, or possibly 3 if I'm generous. There's a lot more activity one mile to the west.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,182,008 times
According to the Brookings Institute report the US has 5 fully developed downtowns

http://www.brookings.edu/metro/pubs/20051115_Birch.pdf (broken link)

Fully Developed Downtowns:
Boston
Chicago
NYC Lower Manhattan
NYC Midtown
Philadelphia

And 13 Emerging Downtowns:
Atlanta
Baltimore
Charlotte
Cleveland
Denver
Los Angeles
Memphis
New Orleans
Norfolk
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco (To me fully developed personally)
Seattle

Downtowns on te edge of takeoff:
Chattanooga
Dallas
Miami
Milwaukee
Washington DC

Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM

6,860 posts, read 7,811,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
I'd say that few of the Texas downtowns fare well against some other states'.

San Antonio's CBD has a lot of interesting old and new architecture, but it caters mainly to tourists, and has relatively few residents for a city its size. Austin's has more residents, but it is dominated by college students and people who still wish they were 21. Dallas's downtown is somewhat disappointing imo. It has gleaming skyscrapers, but seemingly few residents. I've only seen downtown Fort Worth from 35, so I can't really comment on it, and I haven't been to Houston's in years. Lubbock is trying to improve its downtown area, and has been successful with an area adjacent to it, but has a lot of work to do. Its architecture for the most part leaves a lot to be desired. It does have some clubs, a winery, a microbrewery, restaurants, a few museums, a civic center, and some residents, along with businesses and the usual attorneys. It needs an auditorium, I think (the city uses a 1950's-era structure on the Texas Tech campus that the university does not need), and more residents/businesses. I'd give Lubbock's downtown a 2, or possibly 3 if I'm generous. There's a lot more activity one mile to the west.
I'm sure I'll get blasted for this (after all, "don't mess with Texas") but I find San Antonio to have the only vibrant dt in Texas. And I'm speaking of dt - not the Riverwalk. There is much there that caters to tourists, but there is ample residential within walking distance, with more and more residential development on the non-touristy parts of the river. The city preserved quite a bit of its historic architecture, re-purposing it for retail, hotels, restaurants, etc. at street level street, as opposed to the gleaming but empty office lobbies which predominate in the other large Texas cities. This, mixed in with the newer architecture, gives SA a more organic feel.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,995,008 times
I'd give Tampa a 4. It has plenty of parks, more restaurants have come in and are staying open late. More residents live there now. The streetcar was extended into downtown. Public art is big down there. Plenty of cultural and sporting amenities. The city has been making the streets more ped friendly. The Riverwalk is almost complete. It always has free events.

It still lacks the shopping. Its also none adjacent to any city neighborhoods. Ybor City takes a lot of potential nightlife and foot traffic away. It still has a reputation as the citys financial center. Too many soup kitchens down there. Tampa in general has almost zero public transit.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:50 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,778,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
According to the Brookings Institute report the US has 5 fully developed downtowns

http://www.brookings.edu/metro/pubs/20051115_Birch.pdf (broken link)

Fully Developed Downtowns:
Boston
Chicago
NYC Lower Manhattan
NYC Midtown
Philadelphia

And 13 Emerging Downtowns:
Atlanta
Baltimore
Charlotte
Cleveland
Denver
Los Angeles
Memphis
New Orleans
Norfolk
Portland
San Diego
San Francisco (To me fully developed personally)
Seattle

Downtowns on te edge of takeoff:
Chattanooga
Dallas
Miami
Milwaukee
Washington DC
Is this based off of population? If so, NOLA should be on the developed list. And I figure the same for D.C. and probably SF too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or