U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times

Advertisements

Fort Worth

Skyline - 5/10: We only have 6 real skyscrapers and our tallest is the ugliest. We also have the smallest skyline for a city our size.

Entertainment - 7/10: The Bass Performance Hall music and plays and Sundance Square for... everything. Sun SQ. holds everything from boxing matches, the Main St. Arts Festival, and Chevy Thunder.

Shopping/Dinning - 7/10: From cowboy hats to Cowboy jerseys, from sushi to steak, we got it!

Nightlife - 6/10: Pretty decent. Very walkable, even at night.

Architecture - 9/10: Great mix of Art Deco, Beaux arts, and modern. If it weren't for a couple of monstrosities, it would get a 10.

Misc. - 9/10: It gets points for it's clean, small town charm... eventhough Fort Worth's not small. We've added the new, 34 story Ft. Worth Omni, which will hold the AFC team for Super Bowl XLV and call baseball legend Nolan Ryan home. And ya gotta love the Christmas lights on the trees.

Overall - 7/10: Downtown Fort Worth makes you feel like your in a small town... with tall buildings. Instead of tearing down older buildings like Dallas and Houston, the buildings in our city are restored and reused.

It's almost been 10 full years since the tornado that ripped through the heart of the area damaged it's urban core. Since then, several buildings have been restored and only one has been demolished, opening up a spot for new development. The future is bright for downtown. It will expand with the Trinity River Vision. This will double the size of the area, feature a town lake and riverwalk, and open up new development.

Sundance Sq.

The March 28th tornado..
Before...:

and After:

Fort Worth Omni

Bass Performance Hall

Main Street and Tarrant County Courthouse

Trinity River Vision
http://www.trinityrivervision.org/WebImages/ModelImage2_a.gif (broken link)

Some of the best looking buildings in our city...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 PM

756 posts, read 1,696,338 times
I'll give Houston a 6.5 out of 10. It is still largely a central business district with most of the shopping, nightlife, and top restaurants directly to the west in Midtown, Montrose, Rice Village and Upper Kirby.

Lots of new additions such as a large downtown park, entertainment complex (House of Blues, Smith & Wollensky's, bowling alley, shopping, etc.) help as well as sports stadiums downtown. New large residentiual highrise with a large grocery store on base level are near opening and have been sorely needed for a long time. I give it 3-5 years to raise up to a 7.5 to 8.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:07 PM

756 posts, read 1,696,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Seattle I would give an 7.5/10. The shopping is great, it's compact and walkable, and the hustle and bustle/pedestrian density makes it feels like a larger city. Things to improve on: the waterfront is tacky and run down (This should be remedied once the highway 99 viaduct is torn down and the replacement tunnel is finished). Also, we need more residential density. Seattle went through a pretty large condo boom the past 3-4 years, but obviously that has cooled off considerably along with the rest of the country. We are behind our west coast brethren Vancouver B.C. and San Francisco in terms of downtown residential density.
If you could go ahead and build a big umbrella over downtown, that would help tremendously. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:55 PM

187 posts, read 477,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Downtown Chicago 9/10- clean up those damn pot holes

We had over 440,000 potholes last winter. It's 24/7 job that never ends. For every 1 filled, 2 pop up. At least the city will compensate you for car damage(a small sum). But it's better than nothing.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM

187 posts, read 477,290 times
There is some serious home boosterism going on here on this thread. If NYC, CHI, San Fran are 9, or 10 on a scale of 1-10, How the heck can some of the cities posted be 7, 8, 9? I mean really. Some people are drinking a whole lot their city's cool- aid. LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
There is some serious home boosterism going on here on this thread. If NYC, CHI, San Fran are 9, or 10 on a scale of 1-10, How the heck can some of the cities posted be 7, 8, 9? I mean really. Some people are drinking a whole lot their city's cool- aid. LOL
Thats why I included "for a city it's size" clause. (even though I only said a 6)

It wouldnt make much sense to put an Omaha or OKC on the same scale as LA or NYC.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:16 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,878,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneverywheretwice View Post
Dude this is an opinion poll as there is no overall science involved in how one likes a downtown. Personally, the only downtown that rates a 10 is NYC. I give my place a 7.5 and Chicago a 9.5 as well as Philly (9.5 too)

Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,705,658 times
7 or maybe 8 at highest, its made a huge comeback in the last 20 years or so, the Riverfronts beautiful, and a lot of the former old abandoned buildings are now being re used or in one case demolished for a new tower. The former smelters by the River have been replaced by our Convention center can 2 Condo towers and a pedestrian bridge. But, there are still a lot of homeless people down in our central park who need somewhere to go, crime is not as bad as it was but it still could get better and there are still some sections surrounding downtown that are terrible, and the skyline is not too great, but our tallest tower is quite impressive.
from flickr,

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/10...f2a057.jpg?v=0
Photobucket,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y19.../Omaha0025.jpg
http://www.etriptips.com/wiki/images/2/2f/Downtown_Omaha.jpg (broken link)
The tower on the right and the bridge are finished
http://www.omaha.com/neo-images/photos/large/102207kcriverfrontplace.jpg (broken link)
at 373 ft, wallstreet tower, which will have condos and a hotel
http://www.condolivingomaha.com/images/wallstreet-tower.jpg (broken link)
The pedestrian bridge, the spires are about 200 ft from the water
From Flickr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3033/...c96f1e.jpg?v=0

Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM

56,613 posts, read 80,910,543 times
I'd say 6.5. There's a lot going on in terms of entertainment and there is some good shopping, but some streets could be better utilized(Warren Street), they could try a bit harder to keep businesses and companies there and more retail would be nice. Here's some pictures:My Pictures of Downtown Syracuse, NY

Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM

294 posts, read 684,253 times
Charlotte: 6.5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or