U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,565,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
A giant suburb and a waste of land
But wouldn't that be a metro without a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 06:02 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,272,172 times
I would rate my City's downtown area an 8.

It is very nice but could use some little restaurants/shops and a little museum or something.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,001,887 times
Houston gets a 6/10.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:05 PM

28 posts, read 106,344 times
Id give Denver a 9/10; theres always a lot going on, lots of things being built, and lots of living options.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
I haven't visited downtown here in a couple months. Despite it being winter and cold, the Freedom tower is being built very fast. I would say they've got maybe about 8 stories so far of it. It's exciting see its progress whenever I'm around downtown. It will be pretty cool to tell my future kids how I saw its progress. It's kind of like how my mom told me she saw the progress on the WTC back in the 60s.

NY's gets a 10/10 of course. A good part of it is because of what it represents down there. I'll always remember how it looked/felt before 9/11. Totally different..

Old 01-20-2009, 07:14 PM

8,001 posts, read 16,052,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Irfox, I agree. A cool downtown is how it looks on street view. Cool historic streets, cool pubs and bars, walkability, and many other things make the downtown. Not having new modern highrises finally filling in where a sea of parkinglots once stood.

Boston has a incredible downtown. Once of the best in America. I spent a week for work right in downtown Bastan. It was a great week.

Just wanted to add, there is nothing worse than a downtown with parking lots. If your downtown has more than 3 small parking lots than you are already dropped below 5 IMO.
True. Surface parking lots (and businesses that take advantage of them like parking companies and car lots) are the blight urban areas. They ruin the pedestrian scale of an area and make it desolate.

I absolutely agree that parking lots ruin urban areas.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,183 times
Albuquerque is a 6

Architecture is a 7
Nightlife is a 8
Downtown living is a 5
Theaters/culture is a 8
Tightness/compact is a 6
Skyline is a 5
Shopping is a 4 (soon to increase)

Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,287,210 times
Downtown Los Angeles is a 6/10 in my opinion. It is getting a lot better than before when it used to be a ghost town. Lofts, new towers, attractions, clubs, and more are sprining up. There is still a long way to go for the country's second largest city to have a worthy downtown of a city of its size.

Some pics:
The new L.A. Live has already been great for downtown. It is bringing lots of pedestrian traffic to the area, especially at night when night clubs open and performances at the Nokia Theater are going on. It will be home to ESPN West Coast, the Grammy Museum, a Ritz Carlton Tower, JW Marriott, and clubs/entertainment.

Staples Center

Financial District

Pershing Square- Ice Skating Rink for Winter (nothing is has funny as watching Californians try to ice skate)

China Town

The plaza in front of Olvera Street, the historic core of the city

Tourist type shops along Olvera Street

Broadway is a historic core of downtown with lots of interesting architecture that it would be nice if the rest of the city had. However with the values of "newer is better" in California, most of the buildings are occupied by lower rent shops like $5 t-shirt places.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,214,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
Omaha - 4 maybe 5. Still lots of work to do. There is one touristy area that people here think is really cool. 8 square blocks don't make a vibrant downtown.
lol, oh please. Have you been to other cities Omaha's size? Omaha is leaps and bounds above most. How many entertainment/restuarant options do you need?

Holland Performing Arts Center - Qwest Center - Orpheum Theater - Slow Down - Rose theater - Durham West. Museum - Joslyn Art Museum..etc etc (You can leave the old market, but I'm guessing you haven't been downtown in quite some time)

I could go on and on but some people are impossible to please...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,234,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
lol, oh please. Have you been to other cities Omaha's size? Omaha is leaps and bounds above most. How many entertainment/restuarant options do you need?

Holland Performing Arts Center - Qwest Center - Orpheum Theater - Slow Down - Rose theater - Durham West. Museum - Joslyn Art Museum..etc etc (You can leave the old market, but I'm guessing you haven't been downtown in quite some time)

I could go on and on but some people are impossible to please...

Everyone can have their own opinions. If you were born and raised in Omaha and don't have much to compare to it, then yeah, you'll think there's a lot to do. But if you're from a big city, it may seem more dull. It all depends where you come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or