U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:02 AM
 
510 posts, read 1,586,298 times
Reputation: 178

Advertisements

Living in NJ there are lots of great family activities to take advantage of. We have the Jersey beaches and boardwalks, NY city is at our fingertips, Great Adventure with some of the best rides and safari and lots of great state parks. The only problem is that we personally never take advantage of this because it is SO crowded and SO many people want to do the same thing. Traffic and lines along with sitting on a beach with people 2 feet from you is getting a little old in our book.

What attractions are your favorite in your state and are they enjoyable to go to? Can your go to an amusement park and get on more than 5 rides in a day? Are there major crowds ( and lets compare weekends, not Tuesdays!)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,667 posts, read 33,667,394 times
Reputation: 51854
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Living in NJ there are lots of great family activities to take advantage of. We have the Jersey beaches and boardwalks, NY city is at our fingertips, Great Adventure with some of the best rides and safari and lots of great state parks. The only problem is that we personally never take advantage of this because it is SO crowded and SO many people want to do the same thing. Traffic and lines along with sitting on a beach with people 2 feet from you is getting a little old in our book.

What attractions are your favorite in your state and are they enjoyable to go to? Can your go to an amusement park and get on more than 5 rides in a day? Are there major crowds ( and lets compare weekends, not Tuesdays!)?


We have the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in my state and it is the most visited national park in the country. On the other hand, we have a fabulous state park (we have a lot of state parks that are great but this one is very big) on the Cumberland Plateau called Fall Creek Falls and it doesn't get as much traffic. You see multiple waterfalls, deer and other wildlife, there is a golf course, an inn, a restaurant, cabins and camping, caves, a lake and the only difference with the mountains is they are flat on top and you are primarily looking down into the gorges from up high instead of up at the mountains from lower land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Orlando
8,178 posts, read 16,542,413 times
Reputation: 49780
HmmmmmFlorida....what might we have.....

There's that mouse thing and a whale someplace......

Oh yeah beaches!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 05:37 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,130 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Living in NJ there are lots of great family activities to take advantage of. We have the Jersey beaches and boardwalks, NY city is at our fingertips, Great Adventure with some of the best rides and safari and lots of great state parks. The only problem is that we personally never take advantage of this because it is SO crowded and SO many people want to do the same thing. Traffic and lines along with sitting on a beach with people 2 feet from you is getting a little old in our book.

What attractions are your favorite in your state and are they enjoyable to go to? Can your go to an amusement park and get on more than 5 rides in a day? Are there major crowds ( and lets compare weekends, not Tuesdays!)?
On Long Island we are in much the same boat you are describing for New Jersey. Actually probably worse because to get to NJ, PA or upstate we have to drive through New York City! Not suprisingly some people take ferries to Connecticut or Rhode Island.

Do not go when everyone else is going.
One thing that can help regarding a popular place like Six Flags Great Adventure is not to go when everyone else is going! Avoid going during summer vacation, avoid going on weekends and totally avoid going on a summer weekend! Instead take the kids out of a school and go during a Tuesday in Sept or June.

Do not go where everyone else is going.
For example here on Long Island we have alot of state and county beaches. Some of them get very crowded others more moderate. But many if not all of the 13 towns on LI also have town beaches. My own town has at least 5 beaches and I often use them instead of the busier state parks. Find out about local alternatives where you live.

Do something different from what everyone else is doing.
Instead of going to the shore to lay on the beach like a beached whale or wait on line at Great Adventure (the NE version of Disney World lines lol) head to the country! The Poconos and the Amish country are at your doorstep and Pennsylvania has a number of smaller and less crowded amusements to boot. Upstate you have the Catskills, The Finger Lakes and the Adirondacks.

Hehe I think there is another less well known Six Flags near Lake George!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
 
56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Reputation: 12480
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
On Long Island we are in much the same boat you are describing for New Jersey. Actually probably worse because to get to NJ, PA or upstate we have to drive through New York City! Not suprisingly some people take ferries to Connecticut or Rhode Island.

Do not go when everyone else is going.
One thing that can help regarding a popular place like Six Flags Great Adventure is not to go when everyone else is going! Avoid going during summer vacation, avoid going on weekends and totally avoid going on a summer weekend! Instead take the kids out of a school and go during a Tuesday in Sept or June.

Do not go where everyone else is going.
For example here on Long Island we have alot of state and county beaches. Some of them get very crowded others more moderate. But many if not all of the 13 towns on LI also have town beaches. My own town has at least 5 beaches and I often use them instead of the busier state parks. Find out about local alternatives where you live.

Do something different from what everyone else is doing.
Instead of going to the shore to lay on the beach like a beached whale or wait on line at Great Adventure (the NE version of Disney World lines lol) head to the country! The Poconos and the Amish country are at your doorstep and Pennsylvania has a number of smaller and less crowded amusements to boot. Upstate you have the Catskills, The Finger Lakes and the Adirondacks.

Hehe I think there is another less well known Six Flags near Lake George!
There are 2 Six Flags in Upstate NY. There's the one in Lake George that used to be called the Great Escape and the other one is between Rochester and Buffalo and it's is called Darien Lake. Very good place to go with the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,130 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are 2 Six Flags in Upstate NY. There's the one in Lake George that used to be called the Great Escape and the other one is between Rochester and Buffalo and it's is called Darien Lake. Very good place to go with the kids.
Is that the Darien Lake park near Buffalo & Niagara Falls? Been a very long time lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:12 PM
 
56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Reputation: 12480
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Is that the Darien Lake park near Buffalo & Niagara Falls? Been a very long time lol.
Yes, it's got a nice campground too. Really close to the Thruway too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 07:59 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
Reputation: 16839
My state has great beaches, lakes, & rivers. Some of the best trout fishing anyplace can be found here as well. We have towering dunes, waterfalls, 11,000 inland lakes as well as bordering 4 of the 5 Great Lakes. Great Museums (Henry Ford & Greenfield Village plus others) as well as some decent Zoos and beautiful Public Gardens. Dozens of State Parks and even a few ghost towns if that floats your boat. Everything from bustling downtowns to quiet serene woods. Michigan International Speedway for the big boy racing at times, down to local dirt tracks at a fairground. Motocross events, Powerboat racing, sailboat races, as well as Professional sports. Rivers to gently float down in an inner-tube, or stand on the bank and catch 20+ pound King Salmon or big Steelhead or Brown trout.

4th of July fell on a week-end last year and I took my kids to the beach on Lake Michigan here. Now I live in a very tourist driven area and while the majority of the beaches were pretty full, you can still go to places where it is a 50 yard walk across the dunes from your vehicle to the beach and have 3/4 of a mile of public beach to yourself. Now that is fairly crowded, but it was the 4th week-end. This is a sugar sand beach that is so clean it squeaks when you walk across it and the water is fresh, clean, clear, and was warm(ish). For me a tad chilly, but the kids and the DW thought it was perfect. Usually unless you hit the attractions on traditionally busy week-ends, there isn't too much of a crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,714,197 times
Reputation: 607
Well there is alot to do in Texas, but I wouldn't go into details on the state because if you live in South Padre your probably not gonna drive to Dallas for the day to go to Six Flags so I will tell you specifically about my city San Antonio......

We have great "theme", and regular park areas in the metro. There is Sea World, and Six Flags within 10 miles of each other, and the crowds while sometimes busy on special nights, and summer weekends are generally easily manuverable. There is the Riverwalk which is virtually the same, and the Guadalupe River, Frio River, and Comal Rivers which have people floating them about 6 months a year. The Guadalupe gets pretty wild at times with college students etc..., but there are miles of flotable water so you can manage. The Frio is much nicer in my opinion, and very quiet and peaceful. Also there is what at one point, not sure anymore, was the worlds largest waterpark Schliterbauhn in New Braunfels, and a Splashtown on the East side of San Antonio. Also a little drive north and you have hills, and parks everywhere, and it's quiet.

If you don't mind an hour and a half maybe 2 hr. drive southeast you will be in Port Aransas which is a very quiet beach. It's not the grandest beach in the world by any means, but the sand is nice, and most of the year you can camp out in your tent with 100yds between you and your camping neighbor if you want. Also the beach has a sand road that can be driven on. A couple hours south of that there is South Padre Island which is much prettier in my opinion, but at times a major Spring Break college resort. Also San Antonio has many deep crystal clear blue water lakes such as Medina, Canyon, Whimberly, etc....that are fun for water recreation. Anyway, that's a little about the San Antonio area.

Houston has Galveston Beach, and others, not as nice as the beaches down SE of San Antonio, but more of a crowd. Houston no longer has it's Six Flags, but there is a nice Splashtown I know on the far north side.

DFW is the furthest from the beach, but there is a nice Six Flags in Arlington, and a couple other water themed parks that I know of. I'll let a Dallas resident fill in on that though......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,707,623 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
HmmmmmFlorida....what might we have.....

There's that mouse thing and a whale someplace......

Oh yeah beaches!!!
How about that there newfangled thing that goes up into space? I hear it might close down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top