U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I live in Chicago, and the general feeling is as you'd expect it to be.... Pretty excited.
Yeah that's pretty much how it is in the DC area. People (including myself) wearing Obama beanies, Obama shirts, and having a big smile on their face. Mostly everyone was happy but we've been happy since November 4th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,926,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But you have to think of who they always had to look up to. Rappers and sports stars. There were some blacks who held high positions in this country, but not many at all. Now younger kids will see there's a black President and say that they want to have that job some day. In the past, at least in the bad areas of NYC, most kids saw pimps and hustlers in fancy clothes and cars and said they want to be like them. Now they can look up to someone who plays a positive role in people's lives and the country. I teach in the south Bronx, so trust me, I see the types of people my kids have looked up to in the past...now they all look up to Obama and have lots of ideas about what they want to be. I ask them why and they tell me it's because a black man is President. Nothing wrong with that.
First of all thanks for your comments but I get very uneasy when I see some of these kids and young adults who are saying stuff like "Now we have to better ourselves" and "Now we can move on, finally"...What does that tell me? It says to me that those who are making these comments never had ambition, never wanted to compete, they didn't see much when they looked in he mirror, they never looked in the past and saw the great Blacks who weren't getting the a fair shake and say to themselves "I'm in a better position (in life) than them, so I should make something of myself". I really do get what you're saying about the young Blacks in NY who looked up to entertainers but it doesn't feel good to hear the reason why, you know? Today I went to work with my uncle here in Atlanta and he listens to this station WAOK, this station had grown folks who were calling an saying that "Now we can move forward as a people" and that "Barak showed the Black man how to love his wife", etc. It was basically saying that now Blacks can move forward and (insert anything positive). It was honestly sort of painful to hear grown people say that, right now, they want to do better and live correctly. These people on the radio were just now being inspired to better themselves, to work hard, to be a traditional family...Did Barak really have to show you the way to all these things? I get the motivation and all but some people are just now putting their foot on the first step in one million. I hope they are serious and stick with it but that was my gripe.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:57 PM

4,464 posts, read 7,534,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
President Map - Election Results 2008 - The New York Times

That's for the 2004 election, which to be quite honest, didn't have the best democratic candidate. I was comparing the 2008 election to the 2000 election where voting shifts did in fact, either stayed the same or decreased. And as for the increase in the voting shift in 2008, that was significantly due to the increased voting participation of blacks in those states.
Again, not to be picky, but even compared to 2000 Northeast states like New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, and Pennsylvania shifted significantly Democratic, while other states remained that same or had an inconsequential "decrease" in their Democratic margin of victory by a of couple percentage points.

Increased voting participation of blacks may have been some of it, but that's not to say that whites did not give their largest voting share for a Democratic candidate since Clinton. That's pretty significant, and the Northeast was hardly an anomaly.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,788,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I heard a tape of Rush on CNN saying he hopes Obama fails! What he meant, (I hope) is that Obama's policies fail, not the man himself. He is afraid we will have nationalized health care, banking, etc. He obviously hasn't been paying attention to Obama's plans, but that's Rush for ya.
You know Rush is secretly ECSTATIC Obama won - it's the first time I've heard that knucklehead's name in 8 years, LOL. (save the illegal drug sales and addiction)

Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,330,791 times
My town's happy

Old 01-22-2009, 03:08 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
In the city of Baltimore, people are overjoyed to see the first black president. They know nothing about him except he's black.

In the white blue collar suburbs the mood is very depressed and pessimistic. People don't have faith in Obama and before I've even heard someone says he's not "completely American". The liberal elites downtown are also overjoyed though.

Personally I don't like him and wanted McCain and Palin to win.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,375,464 times
Being that 60% of my county voted for Obama, people are excited.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:06 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,561,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
In the city of Baltimore, people are overjoyed to see the first black president. They know nothing about him except he's black.
How do you know that for sure? I don't think a lot of people knew who Sarah Palin was until the election.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:21 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,618,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yippee, let's all make unfounded statements.

Cue anecdotal response in 9...8...7...

Old 01-22-2009, 05:11 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,140,125 times
Well anyway i hear a lot of pro obama towns on this topic. I never really told you guys how my area was.. it was pretty Obama happy as you coould imagine. But it seems like all the kids and black people just see "o he's black, he's down" when they know little about him. I mean he's on all sorts of apperal in Newark, and i mean like crazy and i thought how come they didn't do this for our past GOOD presidents... I mean Obama never lifted a finger yet and people had so much faith and love for him when he could of been like hitler when he got into the office. And to prove my point further, probably 98% of the people who practically worshiped obama in the election never heard of him prior to the election.

I'm not trying to be mean, im just sayin... many people voted for bush and thought it was so great, and we the people bashed him and booted him out the door?? (atleast i dont look stupid because i never voted for him, so i had a right to bash )

I voted for Obama, i have hope in what he says. But they only thing i can do is wait and see what happens before i start to do any kind of "worship"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or