Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 04:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
It's probably a minority opinion, but not all conservatives are rooting for Obama. Rush Limbaugh definitely isn't.
I heard a tape of Rush on CNN saying he hopes Obama fails! What he meant, (I hope) is that Obama's policies fail, not the man himself. He is afraid we will have nationalized health care, banking, etc. He obviously hasn't been paying attention to Obama's plans, but that's Rush for ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:46 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
In CT everyone's pretty happy. There are some conservative towns but they are definitely in the minority up here, lol.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:07 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
I live in Detroit. So you can imagine. I walk into a restaurant, and see a picture of Obama hanging on the walls. Gas stations carry Obama t-shirts and hats. Even my school(not public) has an entire wall dedicated to Obama.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:10 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Currently residing right outside of DC, it's without a doubt Obama Country. I went to the inauguration yesterday, and it is definitely a memory I will cherish. Regardless of your political affiliations and persuasions, everyone should at least hope that our Commander-in-Chief helps our country get back on its feet. I would've hoped the same for McCain.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-21-2009 at 05:19 PM..

Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
NYC as one can imagine, is very happy for Obama.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:21 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
A lot of people, including me, are happy. But some are not happy. I heard one person say the next four years are going to bring us down. There are more conservatives in my town than you might expect, being Massachusetts and all.
I don;t think many of them are as conservative as they were anti-Obama democrats. Remember, while many states' voting shifts in the 2008 election were more democratic, Massachusetts (along with many of the other Northeastern states) voting shifts were unchanged or were against Obama's favor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But you have to think of who they always had to look up to. Rappers and sports stars. There were some blacks who held high positions in this country, but not many at all. Now younger kids will see there's a black President and say that they want to have that job some day. In the past, at least in the bad areas of NYC, most kids saw pimps and hustlers in fancy clothes and cars and said they want to be like them. Now they can look up to someone who plays a positive role in people's lives and the country. I teach in the south Bronx, so trust me, I see the types of people my kids have looked up to in the past...now they all look up to Obama and have lots of ideas about what they want to be. I ask them why and they tell me it's because a black man is President. Nothing wrong with that.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but where I am, the same ol' ghetto/rap/gangsta/n****r mentality still permeates with the young black youth. I was just walking in a local mall just to pick something up, and I once again run into the bitter and "supposedly threatening" stares I usually get from the "black enough" community! Maybe there's a host of black kids in NYC who are earnestly wanting to change their lives, but in the "black enough" enclaves of the DC area, it's still "business as usual!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
But, But......it angers me so much that black people now have a renewed sense of self worth and ambition!! My thinly-veiled bigotry is getting harder and harder to suppress!
I don't know if this is just satire coming from you, but many people in the region where I live actually feel like this, and I'm preparing for the increased hatred as I speak from these spoiled trust-fund kids from New Jersey, Eastern PA, NYC suburbs, Massachusetts, and Suburban DC Maryland once they come back on this campus.

I know there are many people (including myself) who are relieved and excited for Obama, but don't think all of the people from states that elected Obama are truly excited or that this election will rile up most black people to live up to the success they were expected to reach after the Civil Rights Movement.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I don;t think many of them are as conservative as they were anti-Obama democrats. Remember, while many states' voting shifts in the 2008 election were more democratic, Massachusetts (along with many of the other Northeastern states) voting shifts were unchanged or were against Obama's favor.
Not to get too off topic, but this is simply false. Every single state in the Northeast, including Massachusetts, increased their margin of victory for the Democrats -- sometimes pretty significantly. Although Mass. was only +1% more Democratic in 2008 compared to 2004, that was clearly due to the home state favoritism for Kerry that made it vote strongly Democratic to begin with.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not to get too off topic, but this is simply false. Every single state in the Northeast, including Massachusetts, increased their margin of victory for the Democrats -- sometimes pretty significantly. Although Mass. was only +1% more Democratic in 2008 compared to 2004, that was clearly due to the home state favoritism for Kerry that made it vote strongly Democratic to begin with.
http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/re...ident/map.html

That's for the 2004 election, which to be quite honest, didn't have the best democratic candidate. I was comparing the 2008 election to the 2000 election where voting shifts did in fact, either stayed the same or decreased. And as for the increase in the voting shift in 2008, that was significantly due to the increased voting participation of blacks in those states.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:51 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
I live in Chicago, and the general feeling is as you'd expect it to be.... Pretty excited.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I know there are many people (including myself) who are relieved and excited for Obama, but don't think all of the people from states that elected Obama are truly excited or that this election will rile up most black people to live up to the success they were expected to reach after the Civil Rights Movement.
I hope that Obama's position will overwhelmingly inspire AA's to achieve success. Not all black people are ghetto thugs. His presidency will only strengthen the motivation of those who are already trying to live positively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.