U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 10:12 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,761,570 times

Advertisements

How did you actually settle in and make new friends? I am interested in success stories of people who moved without any friends or family to a new area and what they did to get new friends/adapt/and stay somewhere long term.

It would be inspirational to those of us who live in places without a support system.

Thanks for sharing! And, let us know how long you live(d) in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 03:26 PM

93 posts, read 403,667 times
I grew up in New Orleans and moved to Memphis the day I got married. It was a bit of a culture shock and I didn't know a soul here, but being 20 and immediately going to work and going back to college made it easy to learn my way around and meet people.

I have to say that shortly after moving here I met someone from home whose husband had also been transferred here and from day one she made up her mind that she was miserable, hated it, couldn't wait to leave, and pestered him until he was transferred back. I missed my family terribly, cried some tears, wrote a lot of letters, made long distance calls, and put a lot of miles on my car back and forth, but it never occurred to me to do anything but settle in and make the most of it. It hasn't always been the easiest (went through a divorce) or the greatest (Memphis has its issues), but that was 35 years ago!

I've since remarried. DH recently retired, I hope to retire in a couple of years, and the plan is to pick up and start over somewhere else (more remote, totally different) at that time. I don't expect it to be as easy as before since we won't be as young, we're not as social, and we won't be meeting people through work, but we're looking forward to the adventure. So, we've been researching, traveling, and religiously following a few of the state forums on city-data trying to make a final decision. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or