U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:44 AM

28 posts, read 94,866 times

Advertisements

I have been reading posts here and have to tell you ,it got me confused
whenever i decide on a city someone comes up an makes me start looking all over again

I am coming to the states in April for about one year . I'm young looking for hip,laid back, walkable, urban areas with restaurants, pedestrian culture,coffee shops ,very nice and friendly people.

basically a city with life in it and SAFE , i don't mind any type of weather or living cost. as long as it has lots of dining out, coffee shops , people walking ,shopping all around with friendly and fun people.

any idea?

Last edited by Bo; 01-21-2009 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Updated title to make thread easier to find with search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Any college town.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:17 AM

28 posts, read 94,866 times
which do you recomend best?

or best 3 to choose from

Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,657,970 times
I've always heard Madison, Wisconsin is good.

Columbia, Missouri is nice, but it may be too small for you.

But in any of the largest cities crime is going to be a factor.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,340,412 times
Denver -laid back, pedestrian friendly, very active, affordable
Seattle -same but very expensive and cloudy
Minneapolis- same as Denver, minus the mountains, add harsh winters
Chicago -expensive but very cultured and pedestrian friendly, great shopping

Old 01-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
I've always heard Madison, Wisconsin is good.
Since the OP doesn't object to "any type of weather," I'll second that. Madison has a harsh upper-midwest version of winter. If you can stand that, you'll be happy there.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,715,197 times
I generally am not a Austin fan, but in this category I think it fits the bill very well. Google SoCo Austin, the Warehouse District, and 6th Street.....

Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM

23,643 posts, read 33,439,851 times
I know i've hyped Louisville a lot lately in the US forum but i think with your criteria i think you would like the Bardstown Rd and Old Louisville areas of Louisville.

The Ghent area of Norfolk, VA is one you would like too.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,341,328 times
I definitely think you should look into the Northwest. Portland, Seattle, Eugene, even Vancouver.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:23 PM

8,006 posts, read 16,065,047 times
Check out Boston. It has EVERYTHING you're looking for and then some more. The city has the most colleges in the area out of ANY city in the U.S. There are well over 100,000 students along living in Boston (and neighboring Cambdridge) every year so it's very young. The city plays host to some fantastic restaurants, nightlife and culture. The city is dense, and pedestrian friendly (often ranked the most pedestrian friendly city in the U.S.) with one of the nation's best subway systems and an extensive commuter rail, bus and ferry/ water taxi network, getting to where you need to go is NEVER a problem.

If you want a city that's a little smaller, Providence Rhode Island really fits your description. Gorgeous pedestrian friendly city (VERY close to Boston and on mass transit lines... 1 hour train tide to South Station in Boston from Downtown Providence) with plenty to see and do.

The city is on the coast and there are plenty of cool little coastal communities around it. You can easily hop a train and spend an afternoon in either Boston or New York City from Providence. Due to the fact that Brown University, Rhode Island School of Design, Providence College, Johnson and Wales, and part of University of Rhode Island are in town, there are PLENTY of young undergad, grad students, and young professionals who enjoy the dining, arts and nightlife Providence has to offer. It's a multicultural area so visiting from another country shouldn't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or