U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM

56,696 posts, read 80,995,527 times

Advertisements

Clayton, NY in the 1000 Islands Region

From the Antique Boat Museum

1000 Islands Bridge into Canada

and much more:
1000 Islands - Clayton Area Chamber of Commerce Online Family Vacation Guide

Clayton New York

Town of Clayton, NY

Antique Boat Museum

http://www.claytonoperahouse.com/

http://www.nancymurphy.us/Nancy_Murphy_Web_Site/Home_Page.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:56 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Wow, I've come to believe after reading this and seeing the pictures that upstate NY has an embarassment of riches.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:57 PM

Cape Vincent, NY also in the 1000 Islands Region

French Festival

Ferry to Canada

Tibbetts Point Lighthouse

Marina

http://www.capevincent.org/chamberdefault.asp

http://www.capevincent.org/village/

http://www.1000islands.com/thecape/

http://www.visit1000islands.com/capevincent.asp (broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Wow, I've come to believe after reading this and seeing the pictures that upstate NY has an embarassment of riches.
Not necessarily. It's just an area of the country with great natural beauty. I'm not saying that because I'm an Upstate NY'er, but as I've gotten older, you appreciate what the state has to offer. Again, many of the places I've posted pictures of are within 2 hours of Syracuse. Saranac Lake is about 3 and a half hours.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:02 PM

21,218 posts, read 5,634,753 times
If I do that, then it won't be a hidden gem any longer.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Oswego, NY, which is about 45 minutes north of Syracuse

Fort Ontario

SUNY-Oswego Campus

Harborfest Fireworks
[LEFT]http://www.oswegoharborfest.com/Images/FireworksMain3.jpg (broken link)[/LEFT]

and more Harborfest pictures
http://www.oswegoharborfest.com/Images/Boats%20-%20River%20Stage%20-%2001.jpg (broken link)

http://www.palltimes.com/archive/x223017270/g2582581b31af7c3f9dc6cabf8e071fbdf5298c9cbf3b2c.jp g (broken link)

Nice sunsets too

and much more:The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

Oswego County Tourism Home Page

State University of New York at Oswego

Old 08-08-2009, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 6,819 times
Some of these pics are pretty amazing. I've been to quite a few of them, and I have family that lives in a couple of these areas. There are definitely some awesome places around our country.

But some really aren't "hidden". Like not sure how you would consider North Conway, NH, Wolfeboro, NH, Rockport, MA, or Oak Bluffs, MA as "hidden." These places (with the exception of Rockport) are all MAJOR resort vacation areas. And Rockport has become so congested with traffic over the last several years, that we dont even bother going on the weekend anymore.

And and some really aren't "gems." For example, I go up to Oswego every year to visit my wife's aunt. And while there are certainly very scenic areas (specifically along Lake Ontario), I think people would be disappointed if they go up there expecting a town replete with natural wonder. The town itself is basically a run-down old mill town that I find rather depressing. The beaches where you're allowed to swim in the Lake aren't very good. And if you go down to "The Stands" right off of SUNY-O's campus and look down the shoreline a bit you'll see an awesome nuclear power plant chugging away.

Just a small reminder for the "buyer" to beware. Do a little research before you head off to these places sight unseen. Some of these "hidden gems" are certainly seen thru a select focus. You might end up a little disappointed.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,989,708 times
That said, I would say the #1 hidden vacation destination in the U.S. has to be the entire Finger Lakes region of NY. By "hidden" I mean that super-rich people from other parts of the country have not invaded it yet. It's a place where real people (not resort operators) still live. You never get the feeling when you go there that some places are "off limits" to the non-super-rich. It has no "scene." It doesn't become inaccessible during the summertime due to crowds of rich people parking their carcasses there. Yet it's only a few hours from NYC, Philadelphia, Toronto and other big cities. Vacationers from those cities don't seem to know it exists. (Their loss!) And in terms of wine regions and scenery, the Finger Lakes simply kicks Napa Valley's butt.

Another NY secret is the southern Adirondacks which tend to be frequented more by working-class vacationers than up in the High Peaks area (Lake Placid etc) which is where the wealthy people tend to congregate.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
That said, I would say the #1 hidden vacation destination in the U.S. has to be the entire Finger Lakes region of NY. By "hidden" I mean that super-rich people from other parts of the country have not invaded it yet. It's a place where real people (not resort operators) still live. You never get the feeling when you go there that some places are "off limits" to the non-super-rich. It has no "scene." It doesn't become inaccessible during the summertime due to crowds of rich people parking their carcasses there. Yet it's only a few hours from NYC, Philadelphia, Toronto and other big cities. They don't seem to know it exists. (Their loss!) And in terms of wine regions and scenery, the Finger Lakes simply kick Napa Valley's ass.

Another NY secret is the southern Adirondacks which tend to be frequented more by working-class vacationers than up in the High Peaks area (Lake Placid etc) which is where the wealthy people tend to congregate.
True....I think the only part of the Finger Lakes that might get a few super rich people is Skaneateles.

Also, I think Old Forge gets overlooked big time. Very nice and affordable.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyLegs View Post
Some of these pics are pretty amazing. I've been to quite a few of them, and I have family that lives in a couple of these areas. There are definitely some awesome places around our country.

But some really aren't "hidden". Like not sure how you would consider North Conway, NH, Wolfeboro, NH, Rockport, MA, or Oak Bluffs, MA as "hidden." These places (with the exception of Rockport) are all MAJOR resort vacation areas. And Rockport has become so congested with traffic over the last several years, that we dont even bother going on the weekend anymore.

And and some really aren't "gems." For example, I go up to Oswego every year to visit my wife's aunt. And while there are certainly very scenic areas (specifically along Lake Ontario), I think people would be disappointed if they go up there expecting a town replete with natural wonder. The town itself is basically a run-down old mill town that I find rather depressing. The beaches where you're allowed to swim in the Lake aren't very good. And if you go down to "The Stands" right off of SUNY-O's campus and look down the shoreline a bit you'll see an awesome nuclear power plant chugging away.

Just a small reminder for the "buyer" to beware. Do a little research before you head off to these places sight unseen. Some of these "hidden gems" are certainly seen thru a select focus. You might end up a little disappointed.
While Oswego isn't going to set the world on fire in terms of what it has, it still does have great sunsets, Harborfest with it's great fireworks, Fort Ontario, quite a few historical buildings and has nice spots for fishing in and around the city of Oswego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or