U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:42 AM

13,585 posts, read 22,036,711 times

Advertisements

Atlanta should annex Sandtown, Unincorporated South Fulton, Mountain View, Vinings, Six Flags Area, Brookhaven, North Atlanta, Emory Druid Hills, Toco Hills, Sage Hill, North Druid Hills, Oak Grove-Vista Grove-Briarcliff, Scottdale, Gresham Park, and Constitution/Intrenchment Creek. Maybe also even more of South DeKalb going towards Panthersville, Candler-McAfee, and Cedar Grove.

Atlanta should've annexed Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, and Chattahoochee Hills before they incorporated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM

208 posts, read 540,564 times
I read that in Gwinnett County, GA, over 80% of the county is unincorporated. There are several small cities and towns with gobs of unincorporated territory around them. The county isn't small either, with over half a million residents. If the existing places would annex the adjoining unicorporated areas, there could be several good sized cities in Gwinnett County. But I'm sure property taxes are lower outside of city limits so maybe that's one reason.

Then again, several metro Atlanta counties are like that.

Just checked city-data figures. As of July 2007, over 776,000 people live in Gwinnett County.

Last edited by blueeyes30; 01-24-2009 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: added updated numbers

Old 01-24-2009, 11:42 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,159,395 times
I think all of Hudson County could be one city. The County has 11 municipalities, most of which are about 1 square mile, some are smaller (Guttenburg 0.2 sq mi, East Newark 0.1 sq mi). All 11 of these mini-municipalities could merge into one city, 47 sq miles 600,000 people. Hudson County's largest city (Jersey City) is itself a consolidation of several smaller municipalities that existed before (Van Vorst Twp, Hudson City, Bergen City, Greenville Twp.)

Overall, I favor the idea of merging municipalities, or at least sharing services between municipalities across New Jersey. There are too many.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:56 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,137,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I think all of Hudson County could be one city. The County has 11 municipalities, most of which are about 1 square mile, some are smaller (Guttenburg 0.2 sq mi, East Newark 0.1 sq mi). All 11 of these mini-municipalities could merge into one city, 47 sq miles 600,000 people. Hudson County's largest city (Jersey City) is itself a consolidation of several smaller municipalities that existed before (Van Vorst Twp, Hudson City, Bergen City, Greenville Twp.)

Overall, I favor the idea of merging municipalities, or at least sharing services between municipalities across New Jersey. There are too many.
WOW good example! I always wanted JC to be bigger, you would think like NYC, Chicago, LA, and JC

But yes, NJ has more cities and towns that states 10 times its size.. its unnecissary

Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
I read that in Gwinnett County, GA, over 80% of the county is unincorporated. There are several small cities and towns with gobs of unincorporated territory around them. The county isn't small either, with over half a million residents. If the existing places would annex the adjoining unicorporated areas, there could be several good sized cities in Gwinnett County. But I'm sure property taxes are lower outside of city limits so maybe that's one reason.

Just checked city-data figures. As of July 2007, over 776,000 people live in Gwinnett County.
You have to consider the huge area that Gwinnett County covers - 437 square miles - which makes it one of Georgia's larger counties and 2nd in size to Fulton County in Metro Atlanta. That means that there are a lot of sparsely populated areas that wouldn't/shouldn't be part of any city or town limits.

I'm sure those Gwinnett cities are annexing communities as quickly as possible.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:40 PM

13,585 posts, read 22,036,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post

Actually, Georgia has a very antiquated way of doing things that make it hard for cities to annex territory. A lot of power is given to the counties.

This is very problematic for the Atlanta region...Georgia's system is based on having a largely rural population/set-up. So, the heavily-populated Atlanta area is functioning in a system that was meant for rural/country areas.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:06 PM

7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Actually, Georgia has a very antiquated way of doing things that make it hard for cities to annex territory. A lot of power is given to the counties.

This is very problematic for the Atlanta region...Georgia's system is based on having a largely rural population/set-up. So, the heavily-populated Atlanta area is functioning in a system that was meant for rural/country areas.
Georgia appears to have the strong county form of government. All local government outside of the cities is provided by the counties in Georgia. In fact when a community incorporates it automatically becomes a city or part of an existing city - there are no townships, towns, villages, boroughs etc that you find in other states (I just checked on Wickapedia lol).

The good thing about this is that if people live in a smaller community or suburb they can save on their taxes by not incorporating. The county will continue to take care of all services - so they have one less level of government to pay taxes to.

The bad thing as you said the Atlanta area is no longer rural and probably needs a more updated system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.