Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Northeasterners Less Liberal than Perceived?
Yes 26 56.52%
No 9 19.57%
Perception is Accurate 11 23.91%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,862 times

Advertisements

This may be drifting off topic, but you can't seriously discuss something unless you define the terms clearly.

As for your comment on voting, it's more a matter of weighing the policies of the parties on the scales and trying to decide which issues are more crucial to me and who's the least of all evils, rather than trying to decide whether I'm a liberal or a conservative and voting for the more liberal / conservative party or candidate. Eventually ideology is nothing but a hall of mirrors, and one politicians frequently use as a cynical weapon to blackmail voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Here in Maryland (which I don't consider the Northeast...whether its the South is debatable)....we are usually Democrat but that is because of the New York transplants, immigrants (many of whom are illegal and their kids), African Americans and a collection of the urban liberal elite near DC in a few rich enclaves.

The vast majority of whites, Christians, blue collar folks, middle class folks, small town folks and assimilated minorities are moderate to conservative. If you go to Maryland's Eastern Shore, you see one McCain-Palin sign after another. People there openly talk about church and not just church picnics but about their pastors' sermons on Monday, I've been there. Three liberal areas in Maryland turn our state blue...Baltimore City has a lot of very poor people who are lazy and live off government assistance in the inner city as well as some hip, liberal elite types buying condos downtown. Prince George's County is ghetto and also has massive numbers of illegal immigrants and foreigners. Montgomery County has large numbers of immigrants and some of the liberal elite too.

The mainstream reality in Maryland is moderate conservative, not as religious or conservative as the heartland, the Deep South or the intermountain West but most people here down to Earth at least the natives. Now Pennsylvania is less conservative, I wouldn't say its very very liberal but notice how it has a lower percentage of African Americans, immigrants, etc and yet it is still consistently a blue state, even this year despite all of McCain adn Palin's campaigning.

One interesting thing I've noticed comparing rural Maryland with rural Pennsylvania (I been to the areas around Camelback, Shawnee, East Stroudburg in the eastern part of PA) . Maryland's rural areas have a noticeably higher number of people who have kids by age 20 or 21 and a lot of it is because of religion and views against abortion so when a girl gets pregnant at 17 or 18 she may give up or delay going to college/community college to raise the child. I've also personally known people in some blue collar Baltimore area suburbs this has happened with. Around Baltimore support for the GOP is higher in the blue collar areas than the more wealthy areas...maybe its because Democrat wealth redistribution policies hurt the wealthier less since they have more money. Compare that to a steelworker for example who makes less so its a bigger deal when the Dems raise his taxes to fund more welfare programs, Section 8 housing for lazy ghetto ppl or illegals, etc.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,932,967 times
I love the term "Urban Liberal Elite"!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
I love the term "Urban Liberal Elite"!
I love being one.

However, I would like to draw attention to the huge sections of rural areas that vote democrat in New England and the upper midwest.

I know this doesn't come close to showing the real story, but I love the maps by county as opposed to by state:

Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,360,256 times
^Since you mentioned the upper midwest, I would also like to point out the huge rural areas of the South that typically vote the same way.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:41 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I love being one.

However, I would like to draw attention to the huge sections of rural areas that vote democrat in New England and the upper midwest.

I know this doesn't come close to showing the real story, but I love the maps by county as opposed to by state:
Connecticut is solid blue in that map, yet the state voted nearly 40% in favor of McCain.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:15 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
I love being one.

Voting Democrat does not equal a region being liberal. Alot of inner city folk like the welfare system up there and thus vote Dem even though they are conservative on a number of social issues. Same with unions up north. Trust me, I spent the first 18 yrs of my life living in the Northeast and it is NOT that liberal

Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,287,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I find it interesting that so many from the Northeast claim to be Catholic, but apparently are very socially liberal.
WOAH there! Catholicism is not about liberal or conservative. People don't usually believe in 100% of a religion.

Quote:
Connecticut is solid blue in that map, yet the state voted nearly 40% in favor of McCain.
It only takes 50.1% to win a county.

Going back to the original idea of this thread. No, The East Coast is just Liberal in a different way than the West Coast. The West Coast, especially in the PNW is more hippyish.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that so many from the Northeast claim to be Catholic, but apparently are very socially liberal.
Catholicism is socially moderate.

The Catholic church takes...
a liberal stance on immigration,
a conservative stance on gay marriage,
a liberal stance on capital punishment,
a conservative stance on abortion,
a liberal stance on the War in Iraq.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:41 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
One of the definitions of a conservative is racism?
Says who?

Racism knows no political bounds and comes in all shapes and sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.