U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the best colleges??
New York City 44 28.57%
Boston 97 62.99%
Chicago 26 16.88%
Los Angeles 19 12.34%
Washington, D.C. 27 17.53%
Atlanta 13 8.44%
Philadelphia 23 14.94%
Miami 3 1.95%
Houston 10 6.49%
Dallas 4 2.60%
San Francisco 18 11.69%
Austin 8 5.19%
Baltimore 5 3.25%
San Diego 4 2.60%
Nashville 3 1.95%
Columbus 4 2.60%
St. Louis 3 1.95%
Other 19 12.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,289,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Well if you're gonna go with that dealio I can list for LA: UCLA, USC, CSUN, CSUF, CSULA, CSULB, UCR, CSUSB, UCI, UCSB, CSUCI, LMU, Pepperdine, Cal Poly Pomona.

I voted for NYC, Boston, LA, and San Diego.

NYC has some of the most amazing like NYC and Columbia with lots of others like SUNYSB, Pace, Fordham, FIT, and plenty of others.

Boston is obvious with Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, NU, and too many that IDK.

I just listed all the ones in LA, but the best are UCLA, USC, CSULB, UCR, UCI, LMU, Pepperdine, and Cal Poly Pomona.

San Diego is surprising quite full of colleges, contrary to what many may believe. UCSD, USD, SDSU, CSUSM, and there's one called something like Point Loma Nazarene, and I'm sure there's more private ones.

Chicago and SF are definitely up there, but I just feel like for their reputations, they could do a little better. Now, if you consider the whole Bay Area as SF, then SF would be a winner too with UCB, Stanford, Santa Clara, and USF with other not so good ones too like SFSU, SJSU, and CSUEB.

I am quite surprised at how low LA is in this poll.
I actually listed L.A. schools in that post at first, but I really don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of L.A. beyond UCLA/USC/Pepperdine/Northridge...so I just went with Atlanta and Raleigh.

I only listed the Atlanta institutions that I feel are above average - there are several additional universities and colleges in Atlanta other than those I listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 AM

6,986 posts, read 14,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I actually listed L.A. schools in that post at first, but I really don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of L.A. beyond UCLA/USC/Pepperdine/Northridge...so I just went with Atlanta and Raleigh.

I only listed the Atlanta institutions that I feel are above average - there are several additional universities and colleges in Atlanta other than those I listed.
Oh, okay. Sorry...didn't mean to attack you then. LOL.

Yeah, I know ATL has some good ones too. I was thinking of going there or NCSU, but I think it would be scary since IDK anyone in that area and I would be lonely. On the Pacific coast I have family and in New England, so those are the only areas I'm looking.

NYU and Northwestern are my dream schools, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,289,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Oh, okay. Sorry...didn't mean to attack you then. LOL.

Yeah, I know ATL has some good ones too. I was thinking of going there or NCSU, but I think it would be scary since IDK anyone in that area and I would be lonely. On the Pacific coast I have family and in New England, so those are the only areas I'm looking.

NYU and Northwestern are my dream schools, but I don't think it will ever happen.
No problem. I wasn't sure if it was an attack or not actually...it was a mild one.

It's tough moving across the country to a place where you don't know anyone, but if ever you are going to do it now is the time - while you're young/college age.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No problem. I wasn't sure if it was an attack or not actually...it was a mild one.

It's tough moving across the country to a place where you don't know anyone, but if ever you are going to do it now is the time - while you're young/college age.
Yeah I try not to be too aggressive after almost getting banned because of my arguments with then FutureCop and Steve-O.

Yeah, but I still don't wanna be completely alone and I figure if I'm gonna pay a lot for college, I might as well do it in an amazing college in a city I know I love such as Chicago, NY, or Boston.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:46 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,585,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
All of them are in the Bay Area.
Are those two coterminous now?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,883,541 times
Just out of curiosity, how is NY getting more votes than LA???

LA has several very good Cal St schools as well as UCLA, USC, Cal Tech, Pepperdine, Clairemont etc.

NYC has Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Hunter, Stoney Brook..

It looks like LA should be second after Boston for universities here. I would put Wash DC ahead of NYC as well.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:52 AM

2,237 posts, read 6,571,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Are those two coterminous now?
I suppose we can continue to argue about this meaninglessly. Personally, I forget about the arbitrarily drawn city proper lines.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:12 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,412,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Philadelphia: Penn, Drexel
Color me insulted.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Just out of curiosity, how is NY getting more votes than LA???

LA has several very good Cal St schools as well as UCLA, USC, Cal Tech, Pepperdine, Clairemont etc.

NYC has Columbia, NYU, Fordham, Hunter, Stoney Brook..

It looks like LA should be second after Boston for universities here. I would put Wash DC ahead of NYC as well.
Thank you. I mean even Chicago is ahead of LA.

People just vote NYC for anything good (well anything in Futcha's case) a and everything bad for LA. LA has so many. The CSU system is I believe the largest in the country and the UC system has to be near the very top for quality so IDK how LA is so low and our private schools are amazing. NYC has like a couple very good ones, but not as many as LA.

It should go Boston, LA, DC, NYC, Bay Area, Chicago, and then everyone else can fight over it.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,412,227 times
If you're going to include metro area schools, then SEPA is definitely up there:

Penn
Temple
Drexel
Villanova
Bryn Mawr
Haverford
Swarthmore
Ursinus
Art Institute of Philadelphia
Curtis Institute of Music
Moore College of Art and Design
University of the Arts
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
The Restaurant School

That competes with most places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.