U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the best colleges??
New York City 44 28.57%
Boston 97 62.99%
Chicago 26 16.88%
Los Angeles 19 12.34%
Washington, D.C. 27 17.53%
Atlanta 13 8.44%
Philadelphia 23 14.94%
Miami 3 1.95%
Houston 10 6.49%
Dallas 4 2.60%
San Francisco 18 11.69%
Austin 8 5.19%
Baltimore 5 3.25%
San Diego 4 2.60%
Nashville 3 1.95%
Columbus 4 2.60%
St. Louis 3 1.95%
Other 19 12.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,567,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Because everyone hates LA. There's also La Verne and the amazing Claremont system. Long Beach is also good for a state school. UC Riverside is also in the metro area. LMU is very good as well.

So let's see. LA has at least 10 great or amazing colleges and universities. That is definitely better than some cities beating LA. Boston is understandable, but DC, Philly and Chicago are not better. LA has quality AND quality, not just quantity as some wish to believe.
You forget though that Chicago has 2 powerhouse schools NW and UC which swing their weight around more than any of the LA schools. They are top 10 in almost every subject, #1 in several,and over many Ivy Leagues in others.

The california equivalent of this would be Stanford and Berkeley, .... not the LA schools w/ the exception of Cal Tech in some fields.

Also some of these "metro areas" are getting iffy, do we start including Notre Dame with Chicago here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 04:44 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,095,559 times
NW and UC are excellent, but so are UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, UCI, Cal Tech, and others on a level just below those. If NW and UC are so great, then why does UCLA get the most applications of any college in the country?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
NW and UC are excellent, but so are UCLA, USC, Pepperdine, UCI, Cal Tech, and others on a level just below those. If NW and UC are so great, then why does UCLA get the most applications of any college in the country?
Simple, economics of demography, it is in the most populous state in country, and it is the largest school in the state. Nobody is going to waste writing letters and admissions fees of a school they don't think they have a chance of getting in. Most people don't think they can get into NW and UC, and they are wise in thinking that. You can just look at their average GPA and SAT score, and average GRE, GMAT, LSAT and undergrad GPA to see whether or not you should even bother applying.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,406,201 times
Quote:
Because everyone hates LA. There's also La Verne and the amazing Claremont system(Harvey Mudd, Pomona, McKenna, Pitzer, and Scripps). Long Beach is also good for a state school. UC Riverside is also in the metro area. LMU is very good as well.

So let's see. LA has at least 10 great or amazing colleges and universities. That is definitely better than some cities beating LA. Boston is understandable, but DC, Philly and Chicago are not better. LA has quantity AND quality, not just quantity as some wish to believe.

If we don't go for quality, there is also CSU San Bernardino, CSU Channel Islands, CSULA, CSU Dominguez Hills in Carson, CSU Fullerton.

Oh and Cal Poly Pomona is excellent. Whittier. Thomas Aquinas. Mt. Saint Mary's. Occidental. Azusa Pacific. Cal Lutheran. Redlands.

And yes, all of those are at least somewhat good. So that's at least 25. I listed 29, but some people may disagree on their status as a good or bad university. I didn't include all the art colleges either.
Since you're listing schools in the metropolitan area:

Penn
Drexel
Temple
Curtis Institute of Music (most selective school in the united states)
University of the Arts
The Restaurant School
University of the Sciences
Bryn Mawr College
Haverford College
Villanova
Swarthmore
Ursinus

That's not exactly trash...

Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM

Hmmm...you got me there. LOL.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Since you're listing schools in the metropolitan area:

Penn
Drexel
Temple
Curtis Institute of Music (most selective school in the united states)
University of the Arts
The Restaurant School
University of the Sciences
Bryn Mawr College
Haverford College
Villanova
Swarthmore
Ursinus

That's not exactly trash...
Well I didn't even list all of ours. I listed ones that people are more apt to know. And I didn't list the art schools and colleges like that.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 AM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
It's not about how many colleges a city has, but the quality of the college(s). A lot of cities only have 1 college but that college is good. Quality over quantity. Cities like Boston and NYC will win when it comes to quantity, but I would much rather go to college in a city with 1 college that I like a lot.
I don't think that anyone is really debating this--it's more that they're debating the quantity of quality schools and which schools qualify as quality. What about a really good program within an okay school? Also, everyone seems to be pointing to tier 1 research universities as their examples of good schools, but that's giving short shrift to a lot of fantastic liberal arts colleges (that probably provide for better undergrad education and research opportunities than many of the major tier 1 research universities) or specialty schools like conservatories and various institutes for the arts.

Anyhow, I do think it's odd that LA is getting so few votes--it has schools that are amazing in almost any field.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I don't think that anyone is really debating this--it's more that they're debating the quantity of quality schools and which schools qualify as quality. What about a really good program within an okay school? Also, everyone seems to be pointing to tier 1 research universities as their examples of good schools, but that's giving short shrift to a lot of fantastic liberal arts colleges (that probably provide for better undergrad education and research opportunities than many of the major tier 1 research universities) or specialty schools like conservatories and various institutes for the arts.

Anyhow, I do think it's odd that LA is getting so few votes--it has schools that are amazing in almost any field.
Well I don't have the time, but maybe some city data fan could create some kind of rubric...

scratch that, here is a rubric, somebody else could do the data gathering if interested.

how many areas of studies (i.e. computer science, psychology, business, philosophy), despite the actual universities does a program rate in the top 10, top 25, top 50 within a given CSA.

5 points can be given to say, Kellogg @ NW for being a top 10 in business, 3 points can be given for a school that is a top 25(11-25), 1 point for a top 50(26-50).

That way it doesn't matter how many universities or schools or sizes, only which study area ranks high.

This is a much better way to judge, for instance if I wanted to do anthropology at the university I went to, well, they are probably not even ranked. Where as the school of political science within that university is ranked top 10 in the country. This is a much more fair focus to grade programs in a specific area.

This is also why I believe major universities like Harvard and MIT in Boston are going to do extremely well as they excel in almost every single field, where as a culinary arts institute... not so much obviously, and most state schools, pretty good in a handful of areas, not even on the map in others.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:06 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
I think that's a great idea for one set of criteria--there are still a lot of other factors to consider like how successful the alumni are, and how much "weight" should each program/field of study should have, but it'd just get messier and messier.

Anyhow, I still think NYC is probably the winner if we're going to restrict ourselves to just cities with Cambridge as a close contender.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:19 PM

3,744 posts, read 8,689,395 times
Top 5 cities for colleges

Boston
New York
Chicago
Philadelphia
DC metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.