U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,967 times

Advertisements

Howdy all,
Wanted to get some opinons on a few things. First, online tools for finding a good area to settle down in. I've looked at ****.com. Does anyone have any opinions on this site, or ideas on similar sites?

Basically me and my wife are looking for an area with:
Outdoor recreation (namely lakes)
-A smaller, safe town
-Cheap housing (40-100k)
-A mild climate

What we've come up with so far is the Ozarks area, TN, & KY.

We're both in our early 30's, living out in Washington state, and are looking for a slower pace of life.

If anyone can interject on the above, it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 02:08 PM

1,119 posts, read 3,817,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jttherocket View Post
Howdy all,
Wanted to get some opinons on a few things. First, online tools for finding a good area to settle down in. I've looked at ****.com. Does anyone have any opinions on this site, or ideas on similar sites?

Basically me and my wife are looking for an area with:
Outdoor recreation (namely lakes)
-A smaller, safe town
-Cheap housing (40-100k)
-A mild climate

What we've come up with so far is the Ozarks area, TN, & KY.

We're both in our early 30's, living out in Washington state, and are looking for a slower pace of life.

If anyone can interject on the above, it would be much appreciated.
Check out the Omaha, NE forum... and see if it is a fit... the only thing that really doesn't match up is the mild climate, but I must say the winters really are not that bad here... it seems they are getting milder by the year..

Old 03-11-2007, 03:20 PM

1,418 posts, read 6,382,556 times
Some towns in NC that'd be worth a look would be Mt. Airy (west of Winston Salem and the model town for "Mayberry" on the "Andy Griffith Show"), Mars Hill (north of Asheville), and the Landis/China Grove area (NE of Charlotte).

Old 03-11-2007, 04:00 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,646,034 times
We're kind of in the same boat; I'm in my late 20s, my husband is in his 30s, and we're relocating from expensive NJ. After a lot of research and travel, we decided on the Kansas City, MO area. Cost of living is low, real estate is relatively cheap, you get to enjoy all 4 seasons, and the job market is decent, at least for what we do. We are heading out this summer. There are lots of 'burbs with plentiful housing under $150k. It's doable to stay under $100k but you'll probably either have to get a fixer-upper or just drive further (assuming you work in the city, which you may not). Springfield, MO might be another good option for you - there is plenty of info on Springfield on the Missouri board and I think it's even cheaper there. Everyone we've talked to from Missouri has been nice. I have also been to KY and TN - I liked KY a lot but TN didn't really do it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or