U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,714,717 times

Advertisements

I'd say Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Arkansas......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 12:16 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,484,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Sacramento, CA

I think you'd do very well there. Its a nice big city that is very surburban like and it's landscape is beautiful. I dont think it snows at all there. And i heard that its weather is nice, perfect for your criteria.

Other good possibilities
Salt Lake City, UT
Chattanooga, TN
Actually, Sacramento is a pretty good choice in this scenario. You're near San Francisco, but also the Sierra Nevada (tallest mountains in the lower 48), and the California coast. You're technically in the Central Valley (which itself is the size of Tennessee), an area of plains which receives very little snow/rain, but is irrigated by large river systems from the extremely wet mountains to the East. There are a ton of great schools in NorCal, including several U.C.s and Stanford, and decent public K-12 schools if you can afford to live in an upper class suburb. Sacramento itself has a ton of culture (hell, it's the state capitol), and if all else fails, you're near SF, one of the great world cities.

Summers in Sacramento can be hot (well over 100 degrees), but it's a dry heat. Winters can be very wet, and Sacramento is the most vulnerable U.S. city to flooding, but you can avoid this by choosing what area you wish to live in. Bottom line, you're 2 hours from the most beautiful countryside in the world (whether you choose to visit the mountains or the coast), the schools are very good, and it's one of the most culturally/religiously diverse cities in the U.S.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,877,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack12804 View Post
I have searched on many websites. I have decided on places and changed my mind in two minutes. I want a place that has maybe 200,000 people, near a major city, with little to no snow. I think if it rains every once in a while, its great. I love sunshine. I want to be close to mountains but I'm fine with wide open plains. I need a thriving economy with many activities. If the place was near a major airport, that would be great. I want many different religions in the area. I need good colleges, and good schools. Thank you for helping me!
Bryan/ College Station Texas. Population combined is about 150,000 people. No snow and very nice (avg. mid 60's high in winter) weather. About 80 miles from a major world city (Houston) and also good proximity to Austin, San Antonio and Dallas. Very good economy that is becoming more diverse. World class University (Texas A&M) and good k-12 schools as well. Due to alot of extremely bright foreign students attending A&M, there are a number of religions in that area now and it is becoming somewhat diverse. There is a airport there (easterwood field) but major Int. airport is in Houston. Other than the lack of mountains, I can't think of many better places given your criteria. It is a great place to either work and raise a family or be a college student

Old 01-24-2009, 01:27 PM

65 posts, read 114,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
SLT,

Keep on the lookout for flying chairs.

That was on all over the airwaves here. Why didn't they just enjoy the match and save that for the bar scene afterward?
Serbians and Croatians just hated those chairs

Hey, our ex Prime Minister reckons Blair House was a great place to live, Unfortunately Obama wanted it back

Old 01-24-2009, 01:43 PM

32,346 posts, read 55,148,798 times
Quote:
I have searched on many websites. I have decided on places and changed my mind in two minutes. I want a place that has maybe 200,000 people, near a major city, with little to no snow. I think if it rains every once in a while, its great. I love sunshine. I want to be close to mountains but I'm fine with wide open plains. I need a thriving economy with many activities. If the place was near a major airport, that would be great. I want many different religions in the area. I need good colleges, and good schools. Thank you for helping me!
Sounds like the 101 corridor West of the 405 in the San Fernando Valley area of LA.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 PM

138 posts, read 325,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
I'd say Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Arkansas......
Little Rock would probably be a better choice if you want Arkansas. Closer to major cities (Memphis 2 hrs, Dallas 4 hrs), more religious diversity, a bit more urban, and warmer climate. West Little Rock is at the beginning of the Ouachita mountain range and its not far from the Ozarks to the north either.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 PM

3,597 posts, read 7,705,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilaketahoe View Post
I'm sitting by the pool lookinghow to get to Tahoe without driving on the right side of the road. Hows this for a sorta ok place:

1. free public hospital care for everything from car crashes to neurosurgery;
2. govt subsidised medication 'as seen on "Sicko';
3. age pension; unemployment benefits; free public schools where there's no guns, $18000 per year buys first rate private schools; had free university til a decade ago too;
4. school leavers on $700 per week jobs
5. no snow in any city - 3 to 7 hours drive there is, but its a 2 month season and rarely any powder;
6. has 'CSI' non stop 24/7/365, Simpsons, Burger King and many larger US chain stores, Safeway, United, Delta, Virginamerica etc. Costco is coming;
7. tropical beaches, surf beaches;
8. only 20,000,000 people on a land mass the same size as 48 US States. I think California has 20 million people. Imagine the US without a soul in 47 States;
9. excellent schools and universities, International Baccaulate courses, mutual recognition between some Bar Associations;
10. houses on 1/4 acre from $300,000 to $500,000 to $800,000;
11. 7 main cities, each with an international airport;
12. little of the 'ethnic' issues;
13. none of that 'gang' rubbish.
14. english is the major/only language;
15. presently 30 Celcius outside (90F?), dry air, not humid;
16. 60 US cents buys one local dollar

and we're a day ahead of you so we get your lotto numbers before you do. Well now I'm fibbing.

Unfortunately its not perfect so you better keep looking
Pay in Australia, however, is very low. And job opportunities are not fantastic.

I looked into living in Melbourne and a few other areas of Australia. The weather can be amazing and the access to beaches fantastic, but there were a few things that kept me away.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:39 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,828,812 times
The poster wants around 200,000. That eliminates Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Fernando Valley, etc.

Eugene, Oregon comes to mind. Has all the requirements, except the unemployment rate in OR is among the highest in the country right now.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:53 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Winston-Salem, N.C. - population 224,000

*Average Annual Snowfall - 9" (infrequent accumulations)

*Nearby Major Cities -
Greensboro, 38 miles; Charlotte, 79 miles; Raleigh, 92 miles; Richmond, 183 miles; Washington D.C., 261 miles; Atlanta, 286 miles; Pittsburgh, 299 miles

*Geography - located in the Piedmont foothills of the Applachian Mountains, 1-2 hours from the Blue Ridge Parkway, very near Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock, and a short drive to mountain cities like Asheville, Boon, Blowing Rock, etc.

*Religious Diversity -
2000 statistics: Unclaimed...152,000; Southern Baptist...37,000; United Methodist...30,000; Moravian...14,000; Independent...11,000; Presbyterian...6,000; Church of Christ...5,000; Episcopal...4,000; Assembly of God...4,000; American Baptist...4,000 (The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports)

Winston-Salem is the U.S. headquarters for the Moravian Religion and was founded by German/Moravian immigrants seeking religious freedom.

*Universities/Colleges/Schools -
Wake Forest University...one of the top 25 national universities in the U.S.
North Carolina School of the Arts...one of the nation's premier performing arts schools with many noteable alumni
Salem College...nation's oldest women's college, very prestigious
Winston-Salem State University...up and coming HBCU
Nearby campuses...UNC-Greensboro, N.C. A&T University, High Point University, Bennet College, Guilford College

Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools vary in quality, but most are very good...there is a wide variety of private schools, including one of only two Catholic high schools in N.C.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:05 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,288,042 times
Quote:
Look into the city of Santa Barbara, CA, with about 200,000 in its continuous urban area. It has basically everything you are looking for. The only problem could be the very expensive cost of living in the city, I'm not sure if you have a budget. It is a beautiful place to live though.

A beautiful downtown area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or