U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 AM
 
42 posts, read 166,430 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

So everyone knows, I come from a town with an average of 71 inches of snow a year. I call even twenty inches of snow a little. Sorry for giving you the wrong idea. Also, 200,000 people would be my ideal location, but the maximum amount of people I would accept is 600,000 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2009, 02:57 PM
 
2,153 posts, read 5,004,923 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Adam29 View Post
Des Moines, IA? meets all your requirements but the weather...

I love Des Moines, but how does this meet the mountain requirement?

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't see that they were fine with the wide open spaces.

Does Tennessee not fit these requirements? The Eastern portion? Chatanooga to me sounds like it would be a good fit. Knoxville maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,601 posts, read 7,535,533 times
Reputation: 1579
Let's see Sacramento is pretty hot in the summer. Berkeley has the best public university in the world but its not a cheap place to live.

Lubbock is isolated .. and redneck.

Des Moines horrible weather - hot muggy summers and snow.

Las Cruces is ok- a little snow but dry winters are nicer than wet ones.

Corpus Christi has 280,000 avg one inch of snow every 3 years. Texas A&M branches- public schools so so unless you go 20 miles to Portland or Rockport.

Oregon not much snow on the coast but depressing winters- drizzly -gray. Not cheap either but U of Oregon is a good school.

Santa Barbara has a branch of the Univ California, but its one of the most expensive cities.

North Carolina was an ok choice -think its winters are a bit colder than Corpus Christi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 03:44 PM
 
2,153 posts, read 5,004,923 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Let's see Sacramento is pretty hot in the summer. Berkeley has the best public university in the world but its not a cheap place to live.

Lubbock is isolated .. and redneck.

Des Moines horrible weather - hot muggy summers and snow.

Las Cruces is ok- a little snow but dry winters are nicer than wet ones.

Corpus Christi has 280,000 avg one inch of snow every 3 years. Texas A&M branches- public schools so so unless you go 20 miles to Portland or Rockport.

Oregon not much snow on the coast but depressing winters- drizzly -gray. Not cheap either but U of Oregon is a good school.

Santa Barbara has a branch of the Univ California, but its one of the most expensive cities.

North Carolina was an ok choice -think its winters are a bit colder than Corpus Christi.
So you are basically saying nowhere is perfect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
3,117 posts, read 6,506,295 times
Reputation: 3542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Lubbock is isolated .. and redneck.
Isolated... yes.
Redneck... NO!
How much time have you spent in Lubbock? Lubbock is rather cosmopolitan for its size. It has 30,000 college students and one of the best public high schools in the nation. There are several New Urbanist movements and Lubbock has the best healthcare between Dallas and LA. It has a small town feel and maintains its Texas heritage, but it is NOT redneck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
3,117 posts, read 6,506,295 times
Reputation: 3542
Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
So you are basically saying nowhere is perfect?
Only Rockport, Texas is perfect. Every other place is too expensive or the locals are barbaric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,889 posts, read 6,212,351 times
Reputation: 6190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Isolated... yes.
Redneck... NO!
How much time have you spent in Lubbock? Lubbock is rather cosmopolitan for its size. It has 30,000 college students and one of the best public high schools in the nation. There are several New Urbanist movements and Lubbock has the best healthcare between Dallas and LA. It has a small town feel and maintains its Texas heritage, but it is NOT redneck.

I've lived there. Strange place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
 
1,368 posts, read 1,681,242 times
Reputation: 1111
Where I live, but I'm not telling....you might be an illegal alien, and it's one of the few places that actually keeps them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,601 posts, read 7,535,533 times
Reputation: 1579
I spent time in Lubbock and the USDA was auctioning off some land in Anton - I almost went for- know where that is? I was an assistant DA not too far from Lubbock and my boss wanted me to go undercover and bust stores for selling porn. I asked what is defined as porn He said "Playboy it has naked women" Even if you hate Playboy ( I don't know that it still exists in magazine form) going undercover as DA and then prosecuting is a huge conflict of interest.

West- I didn't say Rockport has the best schools -many places outside of Texas have a better school system. The Rand study of 2005 made that painstaking clear.

Yes I like Rockport but unlike most people I've been to just about every US city looking around and I didn't come here for a job or family - I carefully picked it and my choices were anywhere I wanted.

There is no place in Texas (cept ft Davis ) that really has nice summers- Oregon does. I also love EL Paso but the OP's requirements eliminated EL Paso so I didn't give it a plug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
3,117 posts, read 6,506,295 times
Reputation: 3542
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I spent time in Lubbock and the USDA was auctioning off some land in Anton - I almost went for- know where that is? I was an assistant DA not too far from Lubbock and my boss wanted me to go undercover and bust stores for selling porn. I asked what is defined as porn He said "Playboy it has naked women" Even if you hate Playboy ( I don't know that it still exists in magazine form) going undercover as DA and then prosecuting is a huge conflict of interest.
Yes, I recall that you were an assistant DA in Hereford, but believe me, Hereford is another world compared to Lubbock (I've spent extensive amouts of time there, and I probably dislike it as much as you do). Your comment about Lubbock being redneck is completely out of line, and besides, your evidence is completely anecdotal. It is clear that you have not spent time in Lubbock. You may have lived in a small town 100 miles from Lubbock, but that does not mean you know Lubbock itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top