U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,807,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Northeastern Pennsylvania would be a good bet as well. Scranton seems to be getting "hyped" left and right these days, and with the continued westward expansion of NYC and the continued northwestward expansion of Philadelphia, NEPA is bound to take off in the coming years.
Maybe in 100 years, Scranton will too! I would like to see northwestern PA boom soon, but that doesn't seem very probable unless nearby large cities like Buffalo, Pittsburgh, etc take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,064,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
You have to like snow if you move to the Syracuse area... considering it is the snowiest large metropolitan area in the US. (over a half million people that is)
Yes. Never underestimate climate when moving somewhere. A lot of people do, but I don't understand why. I don't know why so many people are recommending New York. The OP is from Florida so unless she likes the cold (real cold, not just Florida's version of cold), New York wouldn't be the place for her.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,884,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Yes. Never underestimate climate when moving somewhere. A lot of people do, but I don't understand why. I don't know why so many people are recommending New York. The OP is from Florida so unless she likes the cold (real cold, not just Florida's version of cold), New York wouldn't be the place for her.
Cold and snowy winters are really not that hard to adapt to. One of my friends who lived all his life in Houston and graduated from Texas A&M with me moved to Buffalo for a job and has been there this winter so far. Just this morning he told me that he loves the snow and enjoys dealing with it. I never minded it growing up in NYeither but I was born there of course. I think some people make way to big a deal about the cold and snow

Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 AM

2,898 posts, read 2,884,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Agreed! Well said.
Agree with you, there are many good neighborhoods in Metro Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse that one can move to for around the 100K mark either as a family or a single. All are fun cities that have more culture and other things to do than some give credit for. I know I kind of miss snowmobiling with my family back in Rochester with all that snowcover that I hear you guys have right now.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,064,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Cold and snowy winters are really not that hard to adapt to. One of my friends who lived all his life in Houston and graduated from Texas A&M with me moved to Buffalo for a job and has been there this winter so far. Just this morning he told me that he loves the snow and enjoys dealing with it. I never minded it growing up in NYeither but I was born there of course. I think some people make way to big a deal about the cold and snow
Depends what type of weather you like. A Southerner that likes the cold may have an easier time adapting than a Northerner that hates the cold. That friend that moved to Buffalo must like the cold. I've lived in New England all my life (and leaving soon) and I am not used to winter (I know to expect winter, but I have a hard time dealing with it).

Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 AM

9,761 posts, read 3,034,784 times
Default Thanks for all the input :-)

Just thought I'd add to the discussion by posting..

Scranton/Buffalo/Syracuse appear to have similarly affordable housing.

Money Magazine 2008 reports:

Med home price for Scranton=>93k/Buffalo=59k/Syracuse=72k

(Property tax and State Income Tax influences city's affordability)

Property tax=>Scranton=$356/Buffalo=$1785/Syracuse=$n/a?

State Income tax=>Scranton=3.07%/Buffalo & Syracuse=6.85%

Business Week Aug/08 named America's Most and Least Affordable Housing Markets:

Scranton=> named #10 most affordable with med home price of 91k and 82.5% share of homes that are affordable to med income
families (54.7k)

Buffalo did not make the list.

Syracuse=> named #9 most affordable with med home price of 98k
and 84.2% share of homes that are affordable to med income
families (61k)

Interestingly, Wiki states that Buffalo suffered major changes to demographics. Buffalo had once been 15th largest city in US but had major decline in population after losing large industrial base of steel production. As a result, Buffalo has a lot of vacant properties and is listed on Wiki as 2nd on the list of American cities with the most vacant properties per capita.

Also, Forbes Aug/08 named America's Fastest Dying Cities:

Cities on the list were "defined by the U.S. Census Bureau, face fleeing
populations, painful waves of unemployment and barely growing
economies."

Scranton (listed as Scranton/Wilkes/Barre met area)=>

Total population change: -11,197
June 2008 Unemployment: 6.2% (2000 average: 4.9%)

"Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, Penn. are no longer thriving coal
towns,and the region has struggled to build a post-industrial
economy."

Buffalo (listed as Buffalo/Niagara Falls met area) =>

Total population change: -41,926
June 2008 Unemployment: 5.7% (2000 average: 4.3%)

"Buffalo has long been synonymous with city-in-decline."

Syracuse did not make the list.

I just wanted to add that Business Week made a list in Oct/08 of the Best Cities for Riding out a Recession:

Scranton and Syracuse did not make the list.

Buffalo=>

Share of jobs in strong industries: 38.2%
Metro area unemployment rate:6%

"Buffalo is known for its blue-collar roots and its low cost of living. But it also has a diverse employment base, which is less and less dependent on manufacturing. It is home to banks and other financial institutions. But it also has become a hub for debt collection—a lucrative industry in this economic climate. Education and health care play a big part in the economy. The city is home to the University at Buffalo and the Roswell Park Cancer Institute."

After learning that the three most discussed cities (Scranton/Buffalo/Syracuse) in this thread were considered rust belt cities, I became curious about air and water pollution in these areas.

Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America created their own list in 2/06:

Scranton=> #1 worst city for asthmatics

ScranBarre posted in another forum that coal burning in Ohio
valley and carbon-dioxide emissions account for "deplorable" air
quality.

Buffalo=> #66 worst

Syracuse => #82 worst

Also, Wiki lists Onondaga Lake near Syracuse as one of the most polluted lakes in the US as a result of industrial dumpings and sewage.

Interestingly, Reader's Digest made a list of the Cleanest/Dirtiest Cities '05:

Scranton did not make the list.

Buffalo=> 3rd cleanest

Syracuse did not make the list. (In the forum, it appears that many
consider Rochester to be similar to Syracuse even though it is 1 1/2 hours away; however, thought I'd add that it is listed as the 7th
cleanest).

Also, I checked the National Cancer Institute and all three cities (Scranton, Buffalo, Syracuse) are about average on national scale of cancer rates and all three cities show a decline in cancer rates per capita.

Population & Political Leaning

Scranton is the 7th most populous city in PA (wiki= appx 76k total pop excluding Wilkes-Barre in met area statistics) and some in the Forums have given me the impression that Scranton is the least democratic/liberal of the 3 cities (Scranton, Buffalo, Syracuse). My opinion based on reading forums.. not based on numerical data.

Buffalo is the 2nd largest city in NY (wiki= city 293k excluding rest of met area) and Wiki states that (like most rust belt regions) Buffalo has been dominated by Democratic party for last 1/2 century.

Syracuse is the 5th largest city in NY (wiki= city 147k excluding rest of met area) and again no data on amt voters registered democrat or voting record, etc. If I were to guess.. I'd say that Syracuse is 2nd on a scale of most to least democratic of these 3 cities. What do you think?

GovPro lists Most/Least Liberal and Conservative based on a study.

Scranton did not make the list but neighboring city Allentown, PA was
named the 12th Most Conservative in the US.

Buffalo=> 25th Most Liberal in the US

Etc.

Forbes named the Best Cities for Singles Sept/08:

"Based on Cost of Living, Cultural Offerings, Job Growth, Nightlife,
and Number of Singles"

Scranton did not make the list.

Buffalo=> #30
They noted that Buffalo is the 2nd worst for job growth behind
Milwaukee.

Newsweek named Highschool (City Honors) in Buffalo as 11th best in US '08.

Forbes named America's Best Colleges '08.

Scranton=>#269 University of Scranton

Nothing for Buffalo

Syracuse=>#320 Syracuse University

Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 AM

9,761 posts, read 3,034,784 times
Default The cold..

I don't mind the cold. I lived in Germany for 2 years and fell in love with the seasons and weather, etc. That became my idea of ideal. I understand the climate in PA and NY would be similar.

I am from Florida as you have surmised and have spent most of my life here but I feel that while it may be fun for a visit.. it's not as great living here year round. It's beautiful and hot/muggy most of the time.. but because it's so hot and humid most of us natives spend more time indoors than outdoors.. with the AC blasting. Right now I rent.. so I don't have the luxury of laying out in privacy, enjoying a garden. I could see myself doing that one day. But that's about all I could see. I'm not big on the ocean or suntanning or fishing and those are the big draws here. I could see myself enjoying it once a year on vacation but as my primary choices, I feel sold short.. lol.

What do I like? I like walking around city areas.. enjoying outdoor festivals, listening to live music, etc. In Florida these kinds of activities are torturous.. lol. People scramble from one AC building to the next. Hydration is uber important and one is almost thankful when the day is done because we can crawl back into our AC environments.

Anyways.. thanks for all of your input. It's truly daunting weighing all considerations. Most important to me, though: affordable housing (100k) and a democratic/liberal majority. I would prefer an inclusive, diverse environment where individuality is respected. I would like an urban atmosphere that is pedestrian friendly and prefer an area with less pollution and crime. I would like to find an area with a lot of cultural offerings esp. the music scene though I enjoy art in general.

So.. thanks again!

Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,807,208 times
FlaGrrrl, that's a lot of statistics you looked up, I'm impressed! Might I also add the Buffalo was the 6th largest city around year 1900.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:11 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,572,530 times
It ;ooks like I could enjoy Syracuse based on those listings and pictures.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:37 PM

56,802 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It ;ooks like I could enjoy Syracuse based on those listings and pictures.
It's not a bad city. Some here might make you think that, but it is a good place to grow up in for the most part.

Also, I think Newsweek had Corcoran High, which is a Syracuse City HS on that list too, but I'm not sure where. There are some suburban schools on that list too from the Syracuse area.

As for politics, Syracuse as a city is mostly "liberal" and the county is probably more "conservative". I would say the neighborhoods around Syracuse University are the most liberal, especially the Westcott neighborhood. For instance, if you go to Barry Park in that neighborhood, you will see people from diverse backgrounds racially/ethnically and of different ways of life.

It's a good sports city too. What college program can boast of having games where there are over 30,000 fans there for Basketball games? Syracuse University Football and Lacrosse are really big here too. We also have minor league Hockey and Baseball too.

It's also a 5-6 hours drive to cities like NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Washington DC, Cleveland, Philadelphia and even Detroit if you go through Canada. So, it's in a good location as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or