U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:42 PM

56,607 posts, read 80,890,793 times

Advertisements

Rochester is a bit different than Syracuse. It's bigger, has many good universities and colleges, has a liberal flare in it's Park Avenue neighborhood and is or was most diverse in terms of it's economy, among other things. I would check it out too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:36 PM

2,359 posts, read 8,187,492 times
Syracuse won't make it on all the lists since the metro population isn't over 1 million people. Buffalo and Rochester make it on those lists since both metros are slightly over the million mark.

BTW, Pittsburgh's rivers and the Hudson River next to New York City are polluted but no ever mentions them. Yes, Onondaga Lake next to Syracuse is polluted, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy boating on it or the beauty of the park nearby. There are dozens of other lakes in the Syracuse area that are very clean. At least our water supply isn't from a polluted lake or river like in many other metropolitan areas.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Syracuse won't make it on all the lists since the metro population isn't over 1 million people. Buffalo and Rochester make it on those lists since both metros are slightly over the million mark.

BTW, Pittsburgh's rivers and the Hudson River next to New York City are polluted but no ever mentions them. Yes, Onondaga Lake next to Syracuse is polluted, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy boating on it or the beauty of the park nearby. There are dozens of other lakes in the Syracuse area that are very clean. At least our water supply isn't from a polluted lake or river like in many other metropolitan areas.
True....Skaneateles Lake I believe is the water supply. I always wondered why it seemed like activity was limited on that lake.

Also, Syracuse has a good music scene and is pretty big into the arts too. What's odd is that I didn't realize this until I got older and it seems like a lot of other people in the area don't realize this either.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Duluth, MN

Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,031,205 times
Hey there! Just thought this was interesting.. while Buffalo made Forbes' list for best singles.. Syracuse made Money Magazine's list for.. best singles :-)
Anyways, here's the link if you want to check it out.

Singles, meet your match - Syracuse, NY (14) - Money Magazine

Old 01-29-2009, 01:53 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,803,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
It looks like I could enjoy Syracuse based on those listings and pictures.
Syracuse and much of Upstate NY are great places to live in!

In reality, Buffalo is almost twice (not really twice but more than 50% more) the size of Rochester, considering the fact that so many of our workers and shoppers come from southeastern Ontario, Canada. If taken into account, our binational population would exceed 1.5 - 1.7 million (maybe more), and we only have two counties included in our metro population in Buffalo. Rochester has 5 large espansive counties that all consist of a sizably lower population density. Buffalo, once the sixth largest city in America, is still the 2nd largest in NYS and the most prosperous behind NYC- with Major League Football and Hockey teams!

Just thought i would through that out there.

Buffalo was also rated the most affordable real estate big city in the country (along with the number 1 shortest average commute times).

Last edited by Buffalonian4life; 01-29-2009 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-29-2009, 02:05 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,763,660 times
You do have to consider property tax, state income tax, and property insurance costs when defining "affordable," rather than simply the price of housing. In some ways, it would be preferable to have a slightly higher cost of housing with lower taxes than cheap housing with high taxes or high insurance.

So a better measure would be to compare your annual payments based on a 30 year mortgage + property insurance + property taxes + state income taxes (based on your salary).

Old 01-29-2009, 02:28 PM

9,761 posts, read 3,031,205 times
Yeah TFox.. I see what you're saying. For example, there is a good amount of housing around 100k-120k mark around Portland, Oregon and their State-Local Tax burden is about 9.4% and while there are much more houses around the 100k mark in Upstate NY the State-Local Tax burden is about 11.7%.

I got this info from here: http://www.retirementliving.com/tax_burden_2008.pdf (broken link)

And as far as property insurance.. lol.. FL gets it hard & rough! There is no state income tax.. of course there is still local and property tax but insurance with the hurricanes is incredible! There are regular newspaper columns about how Floridians are priced out of homes just b/c of high insurance rates.

So.. lots to think about, again!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,803,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
You do have to consider property tax, state income tax, and property insurance costs when defining "affordable," rather than simply the price of housing. In some ways, it would be preferable to have a slightly higher cost of housing with lower taxes than cheap housing with high taxes or high insurance.

So a better measure would be to compare your annual payments based on a 30 year mortgage + property insurance + property taxes + state income taxes (based on your salary).
Right, but the lower cost of real estate sure does level out the taxes in the long run. (I can testify to that!).

Old 01-29-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
Right, but the lower cost of real estate sure does level out the taxes in the long run. (I can testify to that!).
I agree and you can even get a nice house for under 100,000 in Upstate NY. Like I said, my house was only in the 80's in a decent and safe area. So, it's not as bad as people make it out to be in regards to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or