Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,504,682 times

Advertisements

Probably worse than you are hearing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,346,473 times
I am hopeful that Obama will do a much better job at softening the recession, if not ending it. The main problem is less tax revenue from people being laid off combined with a greater need for unemployment benefits. Obama plans on immediately starting thousands of construction projects to get people back on the payroll and paying taxes again. If he really gets 2 million back working by years end that would really help. He is also going to use bailout money to help people being foreclosed on, rather than giving CEOs money to have $2 million dollar resort parties like Bush did

Old 01-24-2009, 12:03 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,969,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadagirl74 View Post
I know that the recession has hit. i live in canada and things are getting bad here too. What I want to know, is it as bad there are I hear on CNN or the news. I want to hear from the people not the news. I ask because my husband, daughter and I may be relocating to Florida. He has a job and will be able to employee people as well in the Tampa area...thanks to you all....

Far worse than you will hear on US media.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:32 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,669,851 times
the only reason why the recession is so bad is because people are complaining about it non stop and are just adding to it.

People say the USA is going to end in a couple years??? shouldnt people be saying "hopefully the war ends in a couple years"

Negative > Positive
Thats how the USA is

Old 01-24-2009, 01:16 PM

463 posts, read 1,559,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
the only reason why the recession is so bad is because people are complaining about it non stop and are just adding to it.

People say the USA is going to end in a couple years??? shouldnt people be saying "hopefully the war ends in a couple years"

Negative > Positive
Thats how the USA is
I think it's quite the opposite. Back in 2006-2007 most people were talking about how things couldn't possibly go wrong as they continued to buy more and more things they couldn't afford. I think it is American's lack of planning and acknowledging bad times that has made the probelm worse.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:29 AM

44 posts, read 113,726 times
thanks everyone. Hopefully it will end for all of us soon. I will know next week if we are moving for sure and it could be as early as 2 months that we will be there..

Old 01-28-2009, 06:42 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
I think it's quite the opposite. Back in 2006-2007 most people were talking about how things couldn't possibly go wrong as they continued to buy more and more things they couldn't afford. I think it is American's lack of planning and acknowledging bad times that has made the probelm worse.
Oh...there is a lot more to it than each individual's lack of planning and refusing to recognize bad times. There are multiple factors that have caused this downturn, most of which were beyond the control of average citizens. There are tons of intelligent, hard-working folks out there who have lost their home, job, savings, etc. because of unforseen difficulties that they couldn't have predicted.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:34 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,610,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Far worse than you will hear on US media.
I disagree. The media has been partially responsible for making it worse.
The constant doom and gloom of the news makes people scared and unwilling to spend. The media should report the news, but it is over-hyped in my opinion.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:41 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,874,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I disagree. The media has been partially responsible for making it worse.
The constant doom and gloom of the news makes people scared and unwilling to spend. The media should report the news, but it is over-hyped in my opinion.
I disagree also. "Really bad" sells better than "kinda bad".

The media loves the panic. Hell, it's Glenn Beck's niche.(even though I enjoy listening to his B.S.)

Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,906,087 times
I have been struggling to comprehend what's going on in the economy. What quite a few economists are saying is that this is no ordinary recession, that it's the result of new financial practices (especially this business of securitizing subprime mortgages and other dubious debt) and that the damage that's been done goes beyond the normal ups and downs resulting from, say, a mismatch between supply and demand. Another thing to consider is that we don't know how all these proposed solutions are going to ultimately affect the economy. There's always the risk that the dollar will become seriously devalued.

The media may love panic, but if anything I don't think the (mainstream/corporate) media is doing a good job of breaking down what has happened and how potentially bad it is.

And on an anecdotal level, yes, it seems pretty bad.

But if your husband has a job offer, it might still be coming here. You aren't necessarily going to be insulated from an overall economic downturn by staying in Canada, though it might be more comfortable to ride it out somewhere familiar.

(I'm pessimistic, but I'm still making plans and hoping for the best. I'm not going to crawl under a rock, no point in that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.