U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which state would you consider the shopping state?
California 19 21.11%
Texas 16 17.78%
New York 27 30.00%
Florida 2 2.22%
Illinois 1 1.11%
Pennsylvania 4 4.44%
Ohio 0 0%
Michigan 1 1.11%
Georgia 2 2.22%
North Carolina 1 1.11%
New Jersey 12 13.33%
Virginia 0 0%
Washington 1 1.11%
Arizona 1 1.11%
Massachusetts 1 1.11%
Indiana 0 0%
Tennessee 0 0%
Missouri 0 0%
Maryland 1 1.11%
Wisconsin 1 1.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Reputation: 7281

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Again. I will say South Florida. But Orlando does not "dominate" Houston or Dallas. Now whatever South Florida has, Houston and Dallas could eventually get in the very near future because those are two thriving markets that are just waiting to be tapped.
I'm still wondering why the hell hasn't Texas or Florida got a H&M. Do these people not understand how much money they are missing out on!?!?lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,725,623 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Again. I will say South Florida. But Orlando does not "dominate" Houston or Dallas. Now whatever South Florida has, Houston and Dallas could eventually get in the very near future because those are two thriving markets that are just waiting to be tapped.

I was saying Orlando Tampa naples since these citys are central Fl i was comparing them too SA AND AUSTIn and South florida from West Palm beach to Miami to Houston and Dallas Since these 2 states have the most major citys in the south. SO Florida Dominates Texas in Upscale retail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:18 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,725,623 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm still wondering why the hell hasn't Texas or Florida got a H&M. Do these people not understand how much money they are missing out on!?!?lol
I know right I think Houston and Dallas should have one Atlanta has 4 and plans to open another in Lenox And orlando is Getting a H&M and 2nd Zara

Last edited by atlantaATL; 01-26-2009 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,725,623 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, there is a Saks in Austin. It's at the arboretum. As far as Neiman, he's talking about the original Neiman's and the last call Neiman's.

forgot about that one being downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,715,441 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Those are department stores and tampa is only 1 hour 30 minutes away there is neimans there and Orlando and dont forget Naples When it comes to high end Boutiques central florida has more. Theres no bloomingdales cartier st john Dior Max Mara David Yurman no jimmy choo chanel etc in those 2 citys . Im talking about Highend boutiques the whole central florida areas has more upscale retail and there isnt 2 neimans in Austin there is No Saks in Austin Go to saks and Niemans website you will see thats not true. And I think you need to look again at the selection of stores Between the 2, Orlando outlet has more highend stores than San Marco
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree... no offense. As for the 2 Neiman's I was refering to the San Antonio - Austin area, not Austin, and the Saks are at North Star San Antonio, San Marcos, and Great Hills Trail Austin. The Neiman's are at the Dominion, The Shops at La Canterra, and San Marcos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,725,623 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree... no offense. As for the 2 Neiman's I was refering to the San Antonio - Austin area, not Austin, and the Saks are at North Star San Antonio, San Marcos, and Great Hills Trail Austin. The Neiman's are at the Dominion, The Shops at La Canterra, and San Marcos.

I think Austin and San Antonio has great shopping but in reality Central Fl Tampa and Orlando Naples has more highend selections. and if you wanna add SA and Austin Together then you have to add Tampa and Orlando together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
7,731 posts, read 12,194,869 times
Reputation: 5942
California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,715,441 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I think Austin and San Antonio has great shopping but in reality Central Fl Tampa and Orlando Naples has more highend selections. and if you wanna add SA and Austin Together then you have to add Tampa and Orlando together
Yea, I only stuck San Antonio - Austin toghter because I thought that was what was being compared to the Tampa - Saint Petersburg - Orlando. I actually am from the Houston area myself, and live here in San Antonio now. I really like the shopping in this area, but in comparison to the Houston area there really is no comparison. The biggest thing this area has going for it here is the San Marcos Outlets. I've actually seen on multiple polls where they are included in the top 5 spots for shopping in not only the US, but the world. I don't know if I agree with that, but they are very impressive.

I actually used to live in Jacksonville, FL. and I remember for a metro roughly the same size as Austin the shopping was horrible there. Do you know if they ever came about building anything good there? I remember when I left in 04' they were building some sort of shopping on the JTB, but I never found out if it was any good.

One thing I think is a huge difference in shopping in Florida and Texas is the fact that in Texas there are many more stores the likes of Bass Pro, Cabella's, Sheppler's, etc... Alot of western wear, and down here although I don't wear it often there are alot of high rollers who pay thousands for hats, boots, buckles, belts, etc... On the other hand I don't see to many "beach" shops the likes of what Florida has here. I actually had to drive 2 hours just to find a good selection of Reef sandals here.

Btw...I do alot of my shopping at stores like Dick's, Academy, Sports Authority, etc... and I remember in Jacksonville there being one Sports Authority, and it was pittiful. Have they started building more stores the likes of those there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 12:12 AM
 
1,303 posts, read 1,725,623 times
Reputation: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Yea, I only stuck San Antonio - Austin toghter because I thought that was what was being compared to the Tampa - Saint Petersburg - Orlando. I actually am from the Houston area myself, and live here in San Antonio now. I really like the shopping in this area, but in comparison to the Houston area there really is no comparison. The biggest thing this area has going for it here is the San Marcos Outlets. I've actually seen on multiple polls where they are included in the top 5 spots for shopping in not only the US, but the world. I don't know if I agree with that, but they are very impressive.

I actually used to live in Jacksonville, FL. and I remember for a metro roughly the same size as Austin the shopping was horrible there. Do you know if they ever came about building anything good there? I remember when I left in 04' they were building some sort of shopping on the JTB, but I never found out if it was any good.

One thing I think is a huge difference in shopping in Florida and Texas is the fact that in Texas there are many more stores the likes of Bass Pro, Cabella's, Sheppler's, etc... Alot of western wear, and down here although I don't wear it often there are alot of high rollers who pay thousands for hats, boots, buckles, belts, etc... On the other hand I don't see to many "beach" shops the likes of what Florida has here. I actually had to drive 2 hours just to find a good selection of Reef sandals here.

Btw...I do alot of my shopping at stores like Dick's, Academy, Sports Authority, etc... and I remember in Jacksonville there being one Sports Authority, and it was pittiful. Have they started building more stores the likes of those there?

well yeah they have some upscale shopping now True religion, LV, Cole haan betsey Johnson juicy etc you should look at the website here is a link Simon.com - Mall Directory and they still have phase 3 to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,638 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Reputation: 9580
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
I was saying Orlando Tampa naples since these citys are central Fl i was comparing them too SA AND AUSTIn and South florida from West Palm beach to Miami to Houston and Dallas Since these 2 states have the most major citys in the south. SO Florida Dominates Texas in Upscale retail
Well in that sense, I got you. I don't consider Naples Central Florida though. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top