U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the most developed medical facilities??
New York City 22 18.80%
Boston 24 20.51%
Baltimore 10 8.55%
Atlanta 8 6.84%
Rochester 6 5.13%
Los Angeles 11 9.40%
Durham 3 2.56%
Chicago 15 12.82%
Philadelphia 7 5.98%
Miami 1 0.85%
San Francisco 7 5.98%
Houston 51 43.59%
Dallas 8 6.84%
Memphis 2 1.71%
St. Louis 4 3.42%
Cleveland 5 4.27%
New Haven 5 4.27%
Pittsburgh 6 5.13%
Milwaukee 4 3.42%
Other 15 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 PM

366 posts, read 1,304,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No, Houston hospitals aren't ranked number 1, and hospitals in NY do beat out Houston. However, people forget that the hospitals in TMC each specialize in different types of areas. You have top ranking hospitals in TMC. I just say stop arguing with them because it's only a waste of time and the more you go on the more people will come on here and complain how people from Houston just think they are better and the best.
I did'nt say Houston Hospitals were ranked at #1. I said M.D Anderson was at #1 in Cancer.

Anyways thats off topic like I said before; ok I, will end the argument with them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:10 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
I did'nt say Houston Hospitals were ranked at #1. I said M.D Anderson was at #1 in Cancer.

Anyways thats off topic like I said before; ok I, will end the argument with them...
They misunderstand the fact that some of America's best hospitals are located all within less than 10 minutes from eachother which equates to TMC.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 4,804,099 times
Buffalo - The BNMC - Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus is expanding everyday. With 5+ new 10-story high rises planned to start construction this spring (research institutues, global vascular center, UB medical school, and a new BGH ER), this area near downtown is progressing rapidly, employing over 10,000 jobs already, it is one of the fastest growing medical facilities in the nation. Much construction has been implemented and completed, including the world's first Cancer research Center in the BNMC as well. With the University at Buffalo's medical school moving there as well soon, one can only fathom the amount of growth that will be seen here and is seeing. A very well developed medical and research center to say the least.

The BNMC has already remarkably completed two well known magnificent accomplishments in its ER- Richard Zednik who slit his throat and was near death at a Sabres home game was rushed to Buffalo General Hospital (a large 16-story tower consisting of various medical facilities and ER), and Kaleida Heath, the regions largest employer and anchor in the BNMC, also cured Kevin Everett from his near death experience with his neck/back in the Bills football game. The same Healthcare system, just minutes away from the ever growing campus (another hospital is moving there in the next few years to provide a condensed medical corridor).

Old 01-27-2009, 10:02 PM

711 posts, read 1,869,991 times
St Louis has several top hospitals, including Barnes-Jewish, Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital, Children's Hospital (part of Barnes), etc. But as with most polls, I assume most votes are people voting for their own city.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,097,897 times
One phrase to all Houstonians: "quality over quantity".

According to U.S. News, Baltimore has the best single hospital, but overall, Boston, LA, and the Bay Area are the only ones with more than 1 hospital on the list so I guess they win.

U.S. News Names America's Best Hospitals - US News and World Report

And to NYers: you don't have to be and aren't the best at everything...just accept it. Yes, it's true. There are other cities in this country that compete with and even beat you in many aspects.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,203,134 times
I voted for Boston, Baltimore, and Houston cuz theyre the only ones I knew for a fact had excellent facilities although I would assume most big cities do. I am a little disappointed to see how many of Boston's votes were from Bostonians; I thought our fair city had a good reputation in this field.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,271,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
Sorry SweetHomeSanAntonio... South Texas Medical Center can't be compared to Houston nor to the other cities...its not even on the poll.

Anyway heres more of the real Texas Medical Center.
SSC Phototerland
Behind the not yet finished out patient care center on Main Street.
SSC Phototerland

SSC Phototerland

SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland

Ooops sorry aout the last photo.

How does New York's and Boston's medical facilities look?

It should be on the poll, home to UT Health Science Center at South Texas med Center, and 45 medical instutions, second largest in Texas.
Plus San Antonio is home to BAMC, the world reknown Burn unit and the largest medical school in the world at Ft. Sam Houston. San Antonio is one of the only cities in the country with 3 level one trauma Centers, Houston has 2. San Antonio is a military medical hub.

This should put a foot in your mouth. (:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/MYSA110807_03E_TraumaCenter_2a3bd76_html.html (broken link)

#4 Level one tramua center to be built in S.A.

“San Antonio deserves this facility because it is the center of military medicine and so many active duty service personnel and veterans live in the area,” Sen. Hutchison said
http://www.texasinsider.org/modules.php?name=News&file=print&sid=1161

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 01-28-2009 at 01:16 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 04:54 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
Our hospitals (not just one like the Houston hospital) got in the top 5 in:

Cancer (#2, minimally behind Houston)
Endocrinology (#5)
Geriatric (#3)
Kidney disease (#3)
Neurology & Neurosurgery (#5)
Orthopedics (#1 and #5)
Psychiatry (#3)
Rheumatology (#4)
Urology (#5)

Old 01-28-2009, 05:15 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
I guess the big question is...What did the OP mean by "most developed"? It doesn't sound like he was asking for the best medical facilities or the top ranked ones. It might mean the highest concentration of medical facilities?

Clarification please?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 AM

366 posts, read 1,304,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I guess the big question is...What did the OP mean by "most developed"? It doesn't sound like he was asking for the best medical facilities or the top ranked ones. It might mean the highest concentration of medical facilities?

Clarification please?

Yes. The one who started this thread asked which city has the "most developed medical facilities" I don't see why people keep posting the "best medical facilities". The person that started this thread did'nt ask for the best medical facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or