U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the most developed medical facilities??
New York City 22 18.80%
Boston 24 20.51%
Baltimore 10 8.55%
Atlanta 8 6.84%
Rochester 6 5.13%
Los Angeles 11 9.40%
Durham 3 2.56%
Chicago 15 12.82%
Philadelphia 7 5.98%
Miami 1 0.85%
San Francisco 7 5.98%
Houston 51 43.59%
Dallas 8 6.84%
Memphis 2 1.71%
St. Louis 4 3.42%
Cleveland 5 4.27%
New Haven 5 4.27%
Pittsburgh 6 5.13%
Milwaukee 4 3.42%
Other 15 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,811,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The point i'm saying is that it's just in one spot and spread out. There are cities were there are so many hospitals spread out all over the place, just not one huge hospital in one spot. It may be the largest medical center in the country, but the thread asks about facilitIES, not facilitY.
I can't think of one part of town that does not have it's own small medical center. Memorial City on the west side has a medical center, another medical center on the southwest side adjacent to Houston Baptist University, another medical center on the north side along the north loop, UTMB in Galveston. Houston has medical centers all over town. The Texas Medical Center is just the most well known because it's the largest and so much research is done there. Houston is a very spread out city. It would be ridiculous if all the hospitals were in one part of town. Do you really believe that? Do you know how many people would be dead here in Houston if their only option was to get to the Texas Medical Center during an emergency? Come on, I can't believe I even have to explain this to you.

If you think the Texas Medical Center is one facility than it is obvious that you know nothing about it and should probably stop arguing against it. The Texas Medical Center is a district made up of several hospitals and research centers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:50 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,242,279 times
No, I know there's obvioulsy hospitals all over; it's just that you guys are arguing that this medical center being in Houston tops ALL other cities; just based on one hospital. Take a look at that statistic I provided. I don't think many places can beat over 500 physicians per cap. Houston has less than half of that, and this is Long Island, the suburbs.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Quote:
No, I know there's obvioulsy hospitals all over; it's just that you guys are arguing that this medical center being in Houston tops ALL other cities; just based on one hospital. Take a look at that statistic I provided. I don't think many places can beat over 500 physicians per cap. Houston has less than half of that, and this is Long Island, the suburbs.
One hospital??? Have you heard of Texas Children Hospital, Memorial Hermann, or M.D Anderson??? TMC isn't known worldwide because of ONE hospital. We also aren't nicknamed "The Medicine City" for one hospital.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:54 PM

108 posts, read 386,489 times
Quote:
Rofl seriously? 500 per capita in one suburb is different and meaningless comparing it to a city of over 2 million. Of course if you pick some suburb where a lot of docs who work in the city, you'll have a higher per capita rating. That's just nonsensical to compare it.

And it's not "one hospital" it's a SERIES of hospitals. MD Andersen? Baylor? Texas Children's????

Old 01-24-2009, 09:56 PM

Actually, neither NY or Houston are on the top of this list:

Best places to retire 2007: Most doctors - MONEY Magazine

Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 PM

I'm really starting to think there's a couple of people who have multiple usernames on here. I don't think it's a coincidence when you have like 5 people from Houston always responding to people at the same time saying the same thing....Just a feeling I get.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,811,737 times
Quote:
I really don't want you to take this the wrong way...but come on????? One hospital????? There are 50 hospitals and research facilities in the Texas Medical Center. Please I beg of you to look up the Texas Medical Center in Wikipedia or some other website before you post again. I mean seriously, do you know what you are saying?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Actually, neither NY or Houston are on the top of this list:

Best places to retire 2007: Most doctors - MONEY Magazine
Just give up. I've admitted that NY has more developed medical facilities because of it's population, but you won't find many cities with such world-class hospitals all located in one area like TMC.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I'm really starting to think there's a couple of people who have multiple usernames on here. I don't think it's a coincidence when you have like 5 people from Houston always responding to people at the same time saying the same thing....Just a feeling I get.
oh my god you caught me, let me log on to my other account so I can leave another comment.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM

If Houston's hospitals were that great and sprawled out, my dad would have moved us there in a second. He had a great job offer there which paid him more money than we could do with, but he decided to stay on Long island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or