U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which US city has the most developed medical facilities??
New York City 22 18.80%
Boston 24 20.51%
Baltimore 10 8.55%
Atlanta 8 6.84%
Rochester 6 5.13%
Los Angeles 11 9.40%
Durham 3 2.56%
Chicago 15 12.82%
Philadelphia 7 5.98%
Miami 1 0.85%
San Francisco 7 5.98%
Houston 51 43.59%
Dallas 8 6.84%
Memphis 2 1.71%
St. Louis 4 3.42%
Cleveland 5 4.27%
New Haven 5 4.27%
Pittsburgh 6 5.13%
Milwaukee 4 3.42%
Other 15 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-24-2009, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Houston Texas
2,898 posts, read 2,877,242 times
Reputation: 877

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If Houston's hospitals were that great and sprawled out, my dad would have moved us there in a second. He had a great job offer there which paid him more money than we could do with, but he decided to stay on Long island.
My uncle is a high level surgeon. He was offered way more money to go to NYC area, but he decided to stay in Houston because he said it was a higher level for medical facilities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2009, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Bellaire...Texas
366 posts, read 1,304,613 times
Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Yes, let's please get back on topic.

But I should add, anyone can google "Texas Medical Center" or other similar terms and come upon this thread in city-data. City-data threads often show up at the top of search results on google. The new members could be TMC workers just defending their place after looking around on google for something else, who knows.
No. I found this site on HAIF (Houston Archeticture Info Forum) and im also a member of Skyscrapercity and Skyscraperpage. I live in Galveston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,633 posts, read 27,047,623 times
Reputation: 9577
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Great hospitals aren't just located in TMC, but around the city as well. UCLA does not rank right along side TMC.
If you put the UCLA medical center up against the other medical facilities of the TMC individually, UCLA medical center could go toe to toe with any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Houston
129 posts, read 335,627 times
Reputation: 66
Its just hilarious how much people DONT want to give Houston props. this thread is a prime example. New Yorkers really need to get over themselves...especially with all thats goin on with the crooks on Wall Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 03:05 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,714,550 times
Reputation: 607
Yea, Houston has no competition in this category unless someone is just in denial, or completely clueless...lol. TMC is not only the largest medical center in the world, but the small medical centers spread out throughout the Houston metro are also larger than most larger cities entire medical hubs. The Alief, Memorial City, UTMBG, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, North loop 610, 1960, Tomball, Kingwood\Humble, Conroe, Katy, Baytown, etc... smaller medical hubs in each area make Houston more impressive than any other city in this topic not only because the main are TMC dwarfs all others, but also because the facilities, and amenities are more spread out throught the entire area than the other cities on top of that including NYC.

As far as doctors making more money in NYC as some have posted, that is an ignorant argument that has no relivance because NYC's cost of living is WAY higher than that of Houston's so it MUST pay Drs. more. Also the silly post that was posted twice about the best places for Drs to retire\heart physicians\Drs per capita was freakin desperate, and very off...lol. That only gives an example of heart specialists, and has nothing to do with the topic anyway, no one ask where a Dr would like to retire...lol.

Btw...NYC isn't even 2nd on this list as far as "best medical facilities" goes. It would be Boston....very good research institutes, and great schools. Third may be NYC, but with DC having the NIH it may not even qualify for third, and may even be a battle for fourth with LA... Some people just like arguing even when they have nothing to work with, it's called being a sore looser!!!!!!!....lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
505 posts, read 1,225,148 times
Reputation: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Yea, Houston has no competition in this category unless someone is just in denial, or completely clueless...lol. TMC is not only the largest medical center in the world, but the small medical centers spread out throughout the Houston metro are also larger than most larger cities entire medical hubs. The Alief, Memorial City, UTMBG, Sugar Land, The Woodlands, North loop 610, 1960, Tomball, Kingwood\Humble, Conroe, Katy, Baytown, etc... smaller medical hubs in each area make Houston more impressive than any other city in this topic not only because the main are TMC dwarfs all others, but also because the facilities, and amenities are more spread out throught the entire area than the other cities on top of that including NYC.

As far as doctors making more money in NYC as some have posted, that is an ignorant argument that has no relivance because NYC's cost of living is WAY higher than that of Houston's so it MUST pay Drs. more. Also the silly post that was posted twice about the best places for Drs to retire\heart physicians\Drs per capita was freakin desperate, and very off...lol. That only gives an example of heart specialists, and has nothing to do with the topic anyway, no one ask where a Dr would like to retire...lol.

Btw...NYC isn't even 2nd on this list as far as "best medical facilities" goes. It would be Boston....very good research institutes, and great schools. Third may be NYC, but with DC having the NIH it may not even qualify for third, and may even be a battle for fourth with LA... Some people just like arguing even when they have nothing to work with, it's called being a sore looser!!!!!!!....lol.
What is ignorant is to say that Houston has "no competition in this category." By its very nature, a city must have developed medical facilities to deal with the high concentration of people in one area. Houston has accomplished this, as have many others. I understand that because you are from Texas, you have a familiarity with the Houston institutions and take pride in them. But when you are basically shoving it down everyone's throat that the indisputable truth is that Houston is the "best" medical city in the entire country without question, you have come across as someone who is stubborn and somewhat audacious.

By the way, when you use words and phrases like "freakin desperate" and "sore looser" in what seems to be a taunting fashion, it greatly diminishes your ethos in attempting to win an argument. It is simply childish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,714,550 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
What is ignorant is to say that Houston has "no competition in this category." By its very nature, a city must have developed medical facilities to deal with the high concentration of people in one area. Houston has accomplished this, as have many others. I understand that because you are from Texas, you have a familiarity with the Houston institutions and take pride in them. But when you are basically shoving it down everyone's throat that the indisputable truth is that Houston is the "best" medical city in the entire country without question, you have come across as someone who is stubborn and somewhat audacious.

By the way, when you use words and phrases like "freakin desperate" and "sore looser" in what seems to be a taunting fashion, it greatly diminishes your ethos in attempting to win an argument. It is simply childish.
Lol...whatever... I just get sick and tired of listening to people bash Texas on here, and they do it in an immature, pointless, fashion. As far as this topic here is concerned the Houstonian supporters are 100% correct. Btw...you think I am not familiar with the medical facilities in many of the other major US areas??????......WRONG! When the great Texans are overwhelmingly right about something, and still get silly objection I have no problem with speaking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,865 posts, read 12,805,942 times
Reputation: 5794
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Lol...whatever... I just get sick and tired of listening to people bash Texas on here, and they do it in an immature, pointless, fashion. As far as this topic here is concerned the Houstonian supporters are 100% correct. Btw...you think I am not familiar with the medical facilities in many of the other major US areas??????......WRONG! When the great Texans are overwhelmingly right about something, and still get silly objection I have no problem with speaking up.
I learned last night that some people are just not worth wasting time debating with. If someone thinks their city is #1 in everything then they will hold on to that view no matter what statistics they are given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX.
1,226 posts, read 2,714,550 times
Reputation: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I learned last night that some people are just not worth wasting time debating with. If someone thinks their city is #1 in everything then they will hold on to that view no matter what statistics they are given.
Yep, very true! I'd rep you, but it won't let me till I spread a little more around. I don't even live in Houston, yes I have, but don't currently. Everyone seems to think it's a "Texas Pride" thing. Yes, I am guilty of that, but on here what's the point unless people are Texas bashing, or are just coo coo for coco puffs.

I live in San Antonio and LOVE it here, but I actually had someone arguing with me that San Antonio's freeways are comparable to Houston's.....come on..... I had to get into it, althought I should learn just to let it lie sometimes, but I don't discriminate with where someone lives and that's just proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Somerville, MA
8,001 posts, read 16,052,716 times
Reputation: 9340
I won't pretend to know ANYTHING about Houston's medical facilities and with that ignorance in mind, I voted Boston. Yes, that makes me a "homer" but It's tough to argue against the quality of facilities in this city. My brother was treated for high risk leukemia at Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Boston Children's... two of the best (you can check the rankings) in the nation at what they do. Mass General, BU Med, Harvard Med, Brigham and Women's, Beth Israel, etc, etc, etc... all top notch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top