U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city has the most developed medical facilities??
New York City 22 18.80%
Boston 24 20.51%
Baltimore 10 8.55%
Atlanta 8 6.84%
Rochester 6 5.13%
Los Angeles 11 9.40%
Durham 3 2.56%
Chicago 15 12.82%
Philadelphia 7 5.98%
Miami 1 0.85%
San Francisco 7 5.98%
Houston 51 43.59%
Dallas 8 6.84%
Memphis 2 1.71%
St. Louis 4 3.42%
Cleveland 5 4.27%
New Haven 5 4.27%
Pittsburgh 6 5.13%
Milwaukee 4 3.42%
Other 15 12.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,359,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
What is ignorant is to say that Houston has "no competition in this category." By its very nature, a city must have developed medical facilities to deal with the high concentration of people in one area. Houston has accomplished this, as have many others. I understand that because you are from Texas, you have a familiarity with the Houston institutions and take pride in them. But when you are basically shoving it down everyone's throat that the indisputable truth is that Houston is the "best" medical city in the entire country without question, you have come across as someone who is stubborn and somewhat audacious.

By the way, when you use words and phrases like "freakin desperate" and "sore looser" in what seems to be a taunting fashion, it greatly diminishes your ethos in attempting to win an argument. It is simply childish.
Hi dem, welcome to the world of the pro Houston fanatic. It's a world in which I'm VERY familier. Because they sense everyone bashes Houston, they feel they have free reign to bash any other city. What they fail realize is their attitude makes some people who otherwise saw Houston in a positive light prior to patronizing this forum, look to expose the negatives.

When will they ever learn...

Back to the topic...

I will give Houston it's props on this one. With all the medical facilities including Baylor College of Medicine; the TMC (an awesome medical city connected to rail), Houston would appear to be A national leader in medical facilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Hi dem, welcome to the world of the pro Houston fanatic. It's a world in which I'm VERY familier. Because they sense everyone bashes Houston, they feel they have free reign to bash any other city. What they fail realize is their attitude makes some people who otherwise saw Houston in a positive light prior to patronizing this forum, look to expose the negatives.
I say get over it and put these few posters on ignore if it bothers you so much.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,359,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I say get over it and put these few posters on ignore if it bothers you so much.
That is good advice and I will do that, as soon as I find out how.

BTW... You're not one of the forumers I was talking about.

Last edited by First24; 01-26-2009 at 09:59 AM..

Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,715,042 times
Ignore me if you'd like, it's actually what I was going for anyway.... When I make a statement I don't really care to know objection, call me stuborn....lol. On the light side though I will say one thing. Anywhere there are medical facilities there is nothing BAD to be said about them really. I praise all the people everywhere who devote their lives to helping the ill. As far as me saying that Houston has the best, etc... that doesn't mean im objective to any other city advancing their develpoment to become better, I only see that as a positive.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:55 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,810,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
That is good advice and I will do that, as soon as I find out how.

BTW... You're not one of the forumers I was talking about.
if your talking about me go right ahead and ignore me. I'll even walk you through the steps on how to do it.

If you click on the "my settings" link at the top. Then on the left side of the screen there will be a tab that says "edit ignore list". type in my name and the other houston posters you dislike and you won't be bothered by us anymore.

hope that helped

Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 AM

86 posts, read 308,718 times
im surprised seattle isnt on the list. harborview medical center is the biggest triage center in the northwest and gets patience flown in from alaska, montana, oregon, idaho, northern california and wyoming. plus, pill hill has tons of other medical centers and such. also, UW has a high ranked medical program. another city that has good medical facilities is honolulu.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,270,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Yep, very true! I'd rep you, but it won't let me till I spread a little more around. I don't even live in Houston, yes I have, but don't currently. Everyone seems to think it's a "Texas Pride" thing. Yes, I am guilty of that, but on here what's the point unless people are Texas bashing, or are just coo coo for coco puffs.

I live in San Antonio and LOVE it here, but I actually had someone arguing with me that San Antonio's freeways are comparable to Houston's.....come on..... I had to get into it, althought I should learn just to let it lie sometimes, but I don't discriminate with where someone lives and that's just proof.

Come on now, I compared San Antonio freeways in overall mileage, where they are comprable in that respect. The only differnce is Houston has more wider freeways, San Antonio has some brand new huge mixmasters, and most are 10-12 lanes not including the the 3 lane on each side feeder lanes. Houston is not the only city with big freeways.

As far medical facilities, I would say Houston has the most hospitals concentrated within one area probably in the world.

Telwink @ flickr

TMC looks like a CBD of a city.
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bI_NWn9JyTYAJ8ijzbkF/SIG=11sj11kjt/EXP=1233169485/**http%3A//www.theklines.net/tmc/bridge2.jpg[/img]

Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,270,721 times
The South Texas Medical Center Skyline (San Antonio)
The medical center has about 30,000 employees.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:40 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,802,907 times
Texas Medical City in Houston...

Apparently, most folks here agree with that which surprises me that little ol' bayou town is actually receiving credit for something

Old 01-27-2009, 03:59 PM

366 posts, read 1,304,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
The South Texas Medical Center Skyline (San Antonio)
The medical center has about 30,000 employees.

Sorry SweetHomeSanAntonio... South Texas Medical Center can't be compared to Houston nor to the other cities...its not even on the poll.

Anyway heres more of the real Texas Medical Center.
SSC Phototerland
Behind the not yet finished out patient care center on Main Street.
SSC Phototerland

SSC Phototerland

SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland
SSC Phototerland

Ooops sorry aout the last photo.

How does New York's and Boston's medical facilities look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or